Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Correct English word for this?
britishtrident

posted on 1/2/11 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yozza
Hi
We use them a lot offshore as mentioned above. They are supposed to be used when tightening with a machined recess, usually with a gasket between (valve flanges etc) the idea being you hit it until the note changes to a 'ring'. This tells you that both flanges are metal to metal and the machined recess is compressing the spiral wound gasket correctly. Torque bars or torque multipliers are the more acceptable method but using a big hammer with these is much more fun!!
Joe

Torque multipliers and a pull lift on the end of the handle. Oh happy days

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

daviep

posted on 1/2/11 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by Flamez
I guess you smack it with a hammer, my type of tool lol.

you can also stick a bit of tube over the end of it and just use it like a giant spanner (obviously it needs to be a fairly strong / close fitting tube)
the last time I saw them using a bar ~1.5m long

I'd never seen untill a year ago when I had to start designing structures that needed M42 bolts to hold them to the ground
and aparently it hard to get 65mm spaners.....

When you get bolts that big i tends to be hydraulic bolt stretchers that are the weapon l of choice.

Bolt tensioning requires a lot of space above the bolt and also requires special bolts/studs which are extra long, a simpler solution is a hytorc head (hydraulic spanner) such as this:

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

mcerd1

posted on 1/2/11 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
Bolt tensioning requires a lot of space above the bolt and also requires special bolts/studs which are extra long, a simpler solution is a hytorc head (hydraulic spanner) such as this:

^^
I bet that isn't cheap !

-

daviep

posted on 1/2/11 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by daviep

^^
I bet that isn't cheap !

Couple of grand a pop plus a small hydraulic power pack to run it

Last job I was on the boys destroyed 3 in 3 days

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

owelly

posted on 1/2/11 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Some of the replies on this thread have explained why the H and S have had a party with flogging spanners! And there I was thinking it was because there is a safer way to tighten big stuff, rather than use a big 'ammer........

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gazza285

posted on 1/2/11 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
We use these babies.

http://www.tcbolts.co.uk/

I've broken a 1" drive strong arm trying to undo the wheel nuts on one of our forklifts, had it hooked onto the 70t overhead crane, still ended up burning two nuts off, and we've sheared the centre off the torque multiplier so many times the money men refuse to have it fixed.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 1/2/11 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
We use these babies.

http://www.tcbolts.co.uk/

I've broken a 1" drive strong arm trying to undo the wheel nuts on one of our forklifts, had it hooked onto the 70t overhead crane, still ended up burning two nuts off, and we've sheared the centre off the torque multiplier so many times the money men refuse to have it fixed.

my dad got himself one of these for his lorries about 12 years ago: linky (and I know forklifts can be alot tighter than that...)

its only a machine mart one (I'm sure you can get better ones if you don't mind paying) needs alot of air to run, but it makes a hell of difference

[Edited on 1/2/2011 by mcerd1]

-

gazza285

posted on 2/2/11 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
That's what we tried before hooking the strong bar to the crane, made a hell of a lot of noise, didn't undo the nuts though.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.