Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MIG/TIG weld chassis
David Jenkins

posted on 6/7/04 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
It would be better to practice until you can weld 1.6mm properly - there's no need to go to the extra thickness. 19mm sq and 25mm sq by 1.6mm thick are very common sizes and easy to find (and probably the cheapest).

Do you know any good welders? I found the biggest help when I was learning was to have some direct guidance for an hour or so - watching an expert really demonstrates the normal state of everything - the traverse speed, angles, the sound, everything. Also some basic guidance in setting up the machine helps a huge amount (it's the hardest part of MIG welding, as far as I'm concerned).

Made a huge difference for me!

David

BradW

posted on 6/7/04 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Mig Tig

Here in SA my local supplier has both 1.6 and 2, the cost difference is very little.
I agree totally, the same guy who owns the steel place is building a replica Seven and also a great welder, he has helped me lots, 5 minutes with an expert is better then 5 hours with a book.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alainmengoli@hotmail.com

posted on 6/7/04 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
About concave convex I was told tig is better as ythe stress passes through the weld as it ia concave or the other one. And with mig it has two focus point on either side of the weld hence you might hear people mention weld failure but it tends to be stress at those points on the endge of the plus the metal characteristics change at those points as they are a mixture of good weld and badly melted metal. hence another reason why when tiggin aluminium the weld never cracks but the original weld near the weld does, not due to stress but because the metal was not treated after being welded. Well what do I know I'm a publican.
white130d

posted on 6/7/04 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Ohhh, the sound

Welding by sound is important, you can just tell a good weld by the way the crackle is smooth and consistant, no splat crackle buzz buzz sputter sputter sputter.

David

"There's only 2 things that money can't buy, and that's true love and home grown tomatos" Guy Clark

cassidym

posted on 6/7/04 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanx, guys - I think I'll use the MIG for tack welds and do the main welding using the TIG.

I plan to go slowly in any case - each and every weld should be perfect as safety is my main concern.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.