Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car Towed !
mad4x4

posted on 22/11/11 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan
'Clause 54 makes it an offence to immobilise, move or restrict the movement of a vehicle without lawful authority'.

Isnt this invalidated if you say that the police (lawful authority) have it registered as being towed? ie it was cleared with them before being removed? Not trying to defend these scum, but im pretty sure thats how it will be.

I would agree - if it was registered as towed with the police then it was lawfully towed. There sinage be be in question but would not hold a lot of hope of that....

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Brook_lands

posted on 22/11/11 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Get yourself over to http://forums.pepipoo.com/ there are people on there who will help you get your cash back but it is going to be a long haul. There are things that will help and you but you need to know in advance, for instance they must give you a receipt with certain things on it. If they don't or info is missing it can make the tow illegal. You need to know not to ask for a receipt if they don't offer etc.
mookaloid

posted on 22/11/11 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Useful link?

here

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

craig1410

posted on 22/11/11 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'd do the following:

Step 1 - go to the car impound and ask to have your car released. Ask to see the SIA licence number and verify that it is valid by phoning the number in the moneysavingexpert guide linked to above. If this all checks out then proceed to step 2. If it does not check out then inform them that an offence has been committed and unless they release your car immediately (and undamaged) then you will call the police.

Step 2 - say that you are unhappy at the fact your car was towed when it was not causing an obstruction and could instead have ben clamped and the fact that their signage is inadequate was the cause of your mistake in parking there in the first place. Make it clear that you intend to "pay under protest" and will attempt to reclaim the money if they insist on pursuing the towing fee. However, if they will release the car for the clamping fee only then you will agree to pay and will not contest the charge later. Pay in cash (with receipt) if necessary to sway them, otherwise pay by credit card and make sure you write "paid under protest" as directed in the MSE link.

It seems that you did do something "wrong" by parking in the wrong place and you might have a better chance of getting away with the lower fine than getting away with paying nothing.

Good luck anyway, I hope you are successful in some way, either no fine or a reduced fine.

Cheers,
Craig.

beaver34

posted on 22/11/11 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
If all else fails, pay by credit card, then call you card company when bill comes saying you didn't authorise the payment

That's how we have been stitched up at work

JoelP

posted on 24/11/11 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
any update lee?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

daviep

posted on 24/11/11 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
If all else fails, pay by credit card, then call you card company when bill comes saying you didn't authorise the payment

Yeah it's called fraud, I;m guessing you probably didn't like it happening to you.

While I sympathise with the OP's predicament I don't agree with your suggestion, if it happens enough it will make credit an even more expensive product than it already is. A classic case of a minority spoiling it for the majority.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

beaver34

posted on 24/11/11 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
quote:

Yeah it's called fraud, I;m guessing you probably didn't like it happening to you.

While I sympathise with the OP's predicament I don't agree with your suggestion, if it happens enough it will make credit an even more expensive product than it already is. A classic case of a minority spoiling it for the majority.

Davie

happened to my work not me, each to there own

and i agree with you but if they were in the wrong for towing his car not clamping it then if they didnt play to the rules why should he?

PSpirine

posted on 24/11/11 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Because if they have CCTV and can prove he paid (which he would've done) he can be seen there making the payment, then the OP will be done for Fraud if he tries to tell the credit card company he didn't make the payment.
RoadkillUK

posted on 25/11/11 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Update then, sorry to have left it so long.

I collected the car on Tuesday, got charged £250 towing and 2 days storage £70 and 5% CC charge = £336.

Had to pay, wouldn't listen to any argument "You shouldn't have parked there Sir", heard that a few times.

Today I have the day off work so I've been to the Citizens advise Bureau ... it's closed down!

I have just phoned the CC company and told them that I had payed under duress and could they refund the money, they said that I should get the CAB to contact the parking company.

I'm just sorting a letter out to them about the bad signage and also the fact that the parking area isn't well defined.

I'll let you know how I get on

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mds167

posted on 25/11/11 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
quote:

Davie

happened to my work not me, each to there own

and i agree with you but if they were in the wrong for towing his car not clamping it then if they didnt play to the rules why should he?

Because, as DavieP noted, the OP would be committing fraud.
And the clamping company probably wouldn't be harmed - the credit card company would take the hit.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.