Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Holy S**t
David Jenkins

posted on 18/7/12 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Oz can be a great place to live - but the culture is quite different than in the UK. It seems the same for most of the time, but then it trips you up. My daughter and her husband live in Sydney, which really is an expensive place - just like living close in to London (but a lot more interesting). House prices are scary, with a reasonable-sized bungalow in a decent-but-not-posh area approaching A$1million. There are cheaper areas, but they can start to get a bit rough. There are some VERY seedy areas! Perth is similar, although not quite so expensive.

We went to Perth to visit my wife's cousin... we realised well into the flight from Sydney just how big Australia is! We could have got to New Zealand in the same time.

Oz is more expensive in many ways - my daughter now uses a Kindle, simply because the cost of new books is so high. In the UK we're used to books being discounted - there they take the cover price and add a fat percentage. With Kindle she can buy the books off UK or USA Amazon and download them cut-price.

Medical care can be expensive - it seems to be half-way between the UK and USA.

Expect to spend a lot of time educating your kids about personal safety when out and about - not dodgy characters (although I'm sure they have them) - but stuff like covering up in strong sunshine, knowing where the places are where you might meet nasty creatures, and so on. The sort of stuff that Oz kids pick up as they grow up. You'll probably have to pick up a lot yourself!

Eating out can be a great experience, but again can be very expensive. The portions tend to be huge too!

If you're part of a close family then bear in mind how far away you'll be if something happens - my daughter was heart-broken when her grandfather died a few years ago, and she really felt remote.

BUT - it really is a great place, if you can take it in your stride!

RK

posted on 20/7/12 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Just a small anecdote: my cousin and aunt moved down there from Canada a few years ago. My cousin has a couple of kids, married to an Aussie. My sister went to visit once, and was KIDNAPPED by my aunt, who was starving for someone to talk to from home. Just kind of lets you know how isolated Purrrth is.
Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 20/7/12 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Thanks to all for the public (and private) advice.

The job offer came through in writing and was very very good, but the recruitment company comfirmed that they wanted near on £3000.00 in visa application fee's and that my non Eu passport holding wife would have to take an english language test @ £500.00

I did a bit of research and the is visa fee's (outwith what the employer coughs up for) but nowhere the amount the recruitment agency was talking about, and that my other half as secondary applicant DOES NOT need to undertake their English language test (her English is actually better than some native speakers mind you)

So i told them i would not do it unless the fee was waived.

I got a very snotty email back from the recruitment company saying that the employer was NOT prepared to pay the visa application fee, and that there was a line of 5 guys behind me ready to pay up instantly if i backed out !!! and they advised me to basically pay up and shut up and be grateful I was being offered a job in Oz

my reply was ok good luck with your other guys !!

THREE Minutes after sending that email I get a phone call, the guy says he has wonderful news......

he is telling me that suddenly the employer would pay the visa application for me !!

I ask why the sudden change when he had just told me the employer was not prepared to pay this cost ? silence...

this point my mind was made up and I tell the guy to go forth and multiply with himself.

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

RK

posted on 20/7/12 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
it's a long ways to go for something with so many red flags. go with your guts. England can't be that bad; not Ireland, I know, but can't have everything.
WanchaiWarrior

posted on 24/7/12 at 02:19 AM Reply With Quote
Its pretty normal for employer to pay for visa application and relocation costs, however its also pretty normal for employee to pay for these upfront and then claim back these costs when starting (with receipts).

I had an amount for relocation and had to keep receipts for medical expenses for visa application which I claimed back upon arrival and starting with employer. Both were however to be paid back if I moved company within 2 years. Been with same emloyer for over 6 years now.

It was a 457 visa for me, and 457 dependants for wife and daugther.

Let me know if you want to know anything.

(Im in Brisbane BTW)

Jamie

WanchaiWarrior

posted on 24/7/12 at 02:21 AM Reply With Quote
other half depends on what passport she holds, they make for example phillipine and south africans take it.
bobinspain

posted on 24/7/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WanchaiWarrior
Its pretty normal for employer to pay for visa application and relocation costs, however its also pretty normal for employee to pay for these upfront and then claim back these costs when starting (with receipts).

I had an amount for relocation and had to keep receipts for medical expenses for visa application which I claimed back upon arrival and starting with employer. Both were however to be paid back if I moved company within 2 years. Been with same emloyer for over 6 years now.

It was a 457 visa for me, and 457 dependants for wife and daugther.

Let me know if you want to know anything.

(Im in Brisbane BTW)

Jamie

Jamie,

I note you say building nuffink due to the restrictive nature of Aussie rules and regs.
If you ever 'felt the urge' to get your hands on a kit over there, Neville Jones is the man to speak to. (The cost of crated shipping is cheaper than getting a car to Spain too!)

Bob.

WanchaiWarrior

posted on 24/7/12 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobinspain
Neville Jones is the man to speak to

Who is he ?

I know of Southam Automotive Engineering in Perth, who are importing a range of UK kits, but never heard of Neville Jones before, what does he do ?

bobinspain

posted on 26/7/12 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WanchaiWarrior
quote:
Originally posted by bobinspain
Neville Jones is the man to speak to

Who is he ?

I know of Southam Automotive Engineering in Perth, who are importing a range of UK kits, but never heard of Neville Jones before, what does he do ?

Sent u2u Jamie.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.