Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Wow what a difference!
David Jenkins

posted on 10/7/13 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Yes - you'd probably need to use just one to get consistent results, moving it from wheel to wheel as needed. At around £5 for one bathroom scales I wouldn't expect any accuracy, but it wouldn't matter as long as they gave a consistent needle deflection for a given weight.

I have a long-term project to build a gauge based on a brake cylinder, but I was just pondering how people managed to use bathroom scales to balance their cars.

Bluemoon

posted on 10/7/13 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Yes - you'd probably need to use just one to get consistent results, moving it from wheel to wheel as needed. At around £5 for one bathroom scales I wouldn't expect any accuracy, but it wouldn't matter as long as they gave a consistent needle deflection for a given weight.

I have a long-term project to build a gauge based on a brake cylinder, but I was just pondering how people managed to use bathroom scales to balance their cars.

Having use one to measure caravan nose weight I think you would struggle, they are not very good! They seem sensitive to load position, also will not like sideways forces say as you bounce the car to settle. Not to say it will not work, but repeatability problems will probably result.

yellowcab

posted on 10/7/13 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
I at that point didnt want to own the car anymore because I didnt want to drive it.

I hear you on this one

sdh2903

posted on 10/7/13 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
I at that point didnt want to own the car anymore because I didnt want to drive it.

I hear you on this one

When are you booked in. Looking forward to hearing your results

David Jenkins

posted on 10/7/13 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon

Having use one to measure caravan nose weight I think you would struggle, they are not very good! They seem sensitive to load position, also will not like sideways forces say as you bounce the car to settle. Not to say it will not work, but repeatability problems will probably result.

As I said earlier - this is more of a thought exercise!

It's just that the standard answer on here when corner weighing is discussed is "use bathroom scales" and I was just wondering about their practicality. The alternative to bathroom scales would be to use a spring balance suspended from a beam or engine hoist. Goodness knows how much a useful one that read up to 200Kg would cost!

The pressure gauge/brake cylinder set-up is much easier to use - when I borrowed one off Rusty Nuts it took barely 10 minutes to get the weights right on my car.

yellowcab

posted on 10/7/13 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Booked in for Friday 2nd August

mark chandler

posted on 10/7/13 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Bathroom scales here, they cost £4.99 and weigh up to 20 stone but as a dial you can overspin to maybe 25kg.

First off I calibrated loaded scales, 4 x 25 litre drums filled with water placed on top of each in turn matched the dials.

Next 4 x concrete flat slabs laid on a small bed of sand, one for each wheel which I levelled to each other.

Place scales on slabs, place car on scales using a jack so I do not upset anything.

I weigh 13 stone ballasted the drivers seat with my body weight

Set the pitch, ride height and balance across thevcar, Blocks of wood 4" for front chassis, 4.5" for rear chassis, much easier than trying to use a tape.
Ipad for camber and caster using "bubble level" could have just used a spirit level but the ipad fits the wheel rims.
String for toe in, wrapped around the car and tensioned with a bungy.

Took a couple of hours, I also swapped the scales around to confirm accuracy.

Okay it's a bit if a faffing, took a couple of hours with twiddling the spring seats but the only cost was the scales and I am very happy with the results, it would take a couple of hours to deliver somewhere.

TimC

posted on 10/7/13 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Dave at Track Developments and Matt and Ivan at Procomp are the only people I'd use for suspension work. I've spent several hundred quid with Procomp and several thousand with Track Developments over the years. Good people.

David Jenkins

posted on 16/7/13 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I was wondering whether the principle of leverage could be used - take a hefty plank around 600mm long, put one end on a pivot and the other on the scales, and then put the wheel halfway along the middle (maybe with a block of wood to stop the wheel in the same place every time). I'd guess that the wheel on the other side would have to be raised to the same amount so that the car was level - just a couple of inches - if only one scales was in use. If that would work then any cheapo scales would cope.

After all, what's required is a number, not an accurate weight, so as long as the wheels on each side are parked on the same part of the lever then you would get an indication of whether a wheel's pressure on the ground is higher, lower, or the same as the one on the other side.
(If you follow what I mean... )

Well, I had a go at this!

I managed to find enough bits of scrap angle iron to make a frame 36" long. Pivot at one end, flat plate at the other to go on the scales, and 2 bits of hefty angle iron to take the tyre exactly half-way between pivot and scales. It worked quite well, and I managed to prove that there was roughly 1Kg difference between the 2 front wheels - which I don't intend to chase just now. The scales showed about 75Kg, which is roughly mid-range for the scale's 'normal sort of weight to measure'.

I'd show a picture, but some of my welds are too embarrassing to show in public... good enough for this job, but not something I'd want to display. It's been far too long since I did any significant welding, and it's amazing how quickly you lose the knack...

Oh - and don't use electronic scales like I did, it's a real faff trying to initialise them before weighing each wheel...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.