Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone made a paddle shift?
krlthms

posted on 11/12/04 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CooperLight
Yes, the problem is the speed of steppermotor
The (good) switch-shift / paddle shift systems uses electric motors running 30K RPM ...

Stepper motors can be just as fast, for example in hard disk drives.
I have a home built micropositioner at work that uses a stepper motor, with the same lookup table idea. It has no problem switching between points (even non-adjacent) in less than 50 ms. In fact the limiting factor would be the mass of the system you are trying to move, rather than the speed of the motor, I think!
For very fast movements we use a galavanometer device, and when we want really, really fast movement (such as scanning laser beams) we use piezo devices (they can go supersonic).
Cheers
KT

Crazy Jay

posted on 11/12/04 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Just home from work
That picture is a stuart taylor made paddleshift, was just showin the kind of design i will be going for.
Altho ST use a manual shift im gonna get the electronic system and mount a couple of micro switches. Another difference is im gonna mount the paddle to my steering boss so it moves wit the wheel

Crazy Jay

posted on 11/12/04 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Is it colmaccoll who mentioned he makes the electronic shifters??
Rorty

posted on 11/12/04 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tralfaz
Looks to me like it pivots at centerline. You can see a rod end and control rod attached to the right side.

T

Now that you mention it....

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 12/12/04 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carnut
I'd like to put an electronic shift like 1 of the above on my indy but woud like it to blip the throttle on the way down the gears. Has anyone done this?

Frequently, ffl free to blip any time you feel like it.

quote:

Also i'd like it to kill the ignition on the way up the gears so i can keep my right foot flat to the floor.

Most electronic shifters come with an ignition interupt as standard.

quote:

Would also be nice if i could have a setting to make the shift occur when a certain rpm is reached.

Some even come with a shift light (only for advising you when to manually change).
If you want a fully automatic shifter, you'll have to spend big.

Cheers, Rorty.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 12/12/04 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krlthms
It occurs to me that a stepper motor would be a better solution than a solenoid.

Several quads come with "auto" shifters that are controlled with stepper motors. You can also buy an aftermarket stepper motor gear change kit to fit on a quad, so presumably it would also fit a bike engine sitting in a car.

Cheers, Rorty.

Rorty

posted on 12/12/04 at 12:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Jay
Just home from work
That picture is a stuart taylor made paddleshift, was just showin the kind of design i will be going for.
Altho ST use a manual shift im gonna get the electronic system and mount a couple of micro switches.

That makes more sense.
It looks very clumsy. How does it feel? How does it pivot in the centre?

quote:

Another difference is im gonna mount the paddle to my steering boss so it moves wit the wheel.

I designed a paddle shifter for one of my cars which clamps to the steering shaft between the steering wheel and the steering bearing (so it obviously rotates with the wheel).
It uses 6mm pull rods (or cables, depending on engine orientation) and cable-type balljoints. It "snicks" the box nicely into gear.
I don't have any photos because the people at the factory aren't much use with a camera. Rescued attachment paddle_shiftFSS02.jpg
Rescued attachment paddle_shiftFSS02.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

Crazy Jay

posted on 12/12/04 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Holy poo thts a nice design!! That is very similar to one of my designs
Wadders

posted on 12/12/04 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Is the car rack & pinion Rorty? i considered a similar design, but convinced myself it wouldn't work due to the cables getting tangled etc.
I guess on a buggy there's very little steering wheel turn, lock to lock.

Al.

Rorty

posted on 12/12/04 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
Is the car rack & pinion Rorty? i considered a similar design, but convinced myself it wouldn't work due to the cables getting tangled etc.
I guess on a buggy there's very little steering wheel turn, lock to lock.

Al.

Yup, R&P with 5/8 turn lock-to-lock.
It will still work OK on a car with more wheel turn, as the cables are only in tension and can therefore be very light weight and flexible.

Cheers, Rorty.

paul_mcq

posted on 13/12/04 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
heres one for you crazy jay. its a simple design for a shifter for electric shift
[img][/img]

Crazy Jay

posted on 13/12/04 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
nice
ceebmoj

posted on 13/12/04 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
hi,

the plus points of an eletronic system should not be over looked I gues it just comes down to where youer skills are though. as for finding nutral yes it can be problematic for a basic systems we have dicused hear however if you use any one of anumber other actuators stepper motors, solinoids, umatics it is an esy problem to solve. for me the advantages come when the system starts to get involfing i.e. if you have a lap memory in youer system so the car knowes what is coming next and can preper i.e. alowing revs to get slightly hier on one strait to prevent an up shift at the very end of the stright. alowing pre selection for the down shift in to the breaking zone. equaly fule econimy and engin life/power can all be tuned in to the system. I gues that this is maby a bit exsesive for a locost however for a track car maby it is wroth it. can you gues what i do for a living?

blake

paul_mcq

posted on 13/12/04 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
[img][/img]
ZEN

posted on 14/12/04 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
Here is a very nice Solenoid Operated Gearshift DIY project
http://biketransplant.tripod.com/solenoid_shift.htm

My YouTube channel Cars, bikes - track days, motorsport, sim racing and more.

krlthms

posted on 14/12/04 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
hi,

the plus points of an eletronic system should not be over looked I gues it just comes down to where youer skills are though. as for finding nutral yes it can be problematic for a basic systems we have dicused hear however if you use any one of anumber other actuators stepper motors, solinoids, umatics it is an esy problem to solve. for me the advantages come when the system starts to get involfing i.e. if you have a lap memory in youer system so the car knowes what is coming next and can preper i.e. alowing revs to get slightly hier on one strait to prevent an up shift at the very end of the stright. alowing pre selection for the down shift in to the breaking zone. equaly fule econimy and engin life/power can all be tuned in to the system. I gues that this is maby a bit exsesive for a locost however for a track car maby it is wroth it. can you gues what i do for a living?

blake

Would you still need a driver?

Mikey G

posted on 16/12/04 at 03:02 AM Reply With Quote
Well this is all great stuff
For the sake of a few quid i'm going to build a simple control circuit over xmas, then i need to find a solenoid or 2, finally after testing my system using buttons i'm gonna make a paddle shift of some sort. all in i should be able to do the lot for less than £100 depending on how i do/make the paddles

Mike

Aloupol

posted on 16/12/04 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I checked this site 6 months ago and contacted one of the three guys. He said he wansn't involved in kit cars anymore.
This seems difficult to make work properly even if it looks pretty simple at first sight..

[Edited on 16/12/04 by Aloupol] Rescued attachment Shift electrique.JPG
Rescued attachment Shift electrique.JPG

locoboy

posted on 16/12/04 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Is it colmaccoll who mentioned he makes the electronic shifters??

Pmsl nope not me, unless i was bladdered and had ideas above my station lol

ATB
Locoboy

locoboy

posted on 16/12/04 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rorty
quote:
Just home from work
Altho ST use a manual shift im gonna get the electronic system and mount a couple of micro switches.

That makes more sense.
It looks very clumsy. How does it feel? How does it pivot in the centre?

quote:

Another difference is im gonna mount the paddle to my steering boss so it moves wit the wheel.

I designed a paddle shifter for one of my cars which clamps to the steering shaft between the steering wheel and the steering bearing (so it obviously rotates with the wheel).
It uses 6mm pull rods (or cables, depending on engine orientation) and cable-type balljoints. It "snicks" the box nicely into gear.
I don't have any photos because the people at the factory aren't much use with a camera.

Rorty, Does that design mean that when you pull one paddle the other one moves away and vice versa?

ATB
Locoboy

Rorty

posted on 16/12/04 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by colmaccoll
quote:
Originally posted by Rorty
... clamps to the steering shaft between the steering wheel and the steering bearing (so it obviously rotates with the wheel).
It uses 6mm pull rods (or cables, depending on engine orientation) and cable-type balljoints.

Rorty, Does that design mean that when you pull one paddle the other one moves away and vice versa?

The short answer is yes. In its simplest form, the idle paddle will move forward when the active paddle is pulled.
I did make one where the idle paddle remained stationary, but there were too many parts (too costly) with the propensity for wear and slack in the system.

Cheers, Rorty.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.