Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cortina Alloy Hubs, Any Wanted ???Prices now finalised!!
Deckman001

posted on 11/3/05 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
When I spoke to Icondevs about the hubs they said that because of the expansion differences between ally and steel the bearings where a very tight fit , which meant that the bearings had to be cooled and the hubs warmed in an oven to fit them easily, this was to stop the bearings being loose when the hub warmed up in normal use, will your engineers take that into account?

Oh Yes That's why I'm selling them as Bare Hubs cos i don't want the oven gas bill for heating up the 50 hubs !!
And yes that's 25 sets being made

Jason

Peteff

posted on 11/3/05 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Gas mark 7

1/2 an hour per pound plus another 1/2 hour should see them about done . What was the final price on them?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Surrey Dave

posted on 11/3/05 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
I would like a pair if the price is right!
whpracer

posted on 11/3/05 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Is it still possilble to add one to your order list ?
and are you willing to send it to holland or could i pick it up at the kitcar show in stoneleight ?

greetz whpracer

Deckman001

posted on 11/3/05 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote

It Will be under £50 per hub or I'm not bothering, no final costs until they make one, Dave, I know !!

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 11/3/05 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
If payment is received to cover postage, I'll send them anywhere
I have 3 definates, that leaves 22 sets for the ' I'll have em depending on cost' I'll give first refusal on a first come first served basis to those posting on here in order of posting.
I will make the 25 sets regardless and see how it goes, cost allowing that is !!

Jason

ned

posted on 11/3/05 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Perhaps a name list would be good to give Jason an idea of numbers? with a D for definite or an I for interested.

1. D Ned.
2. I Surrey Dave
3. I Paulf
4. I Avoneer
5. I Fozzie
6. D Scutter
7. I Northy
8. I NS Dev
9. I pk
10. I Kissy
11. I Whpracer
12. I MikeR

amend/update as necessary..!

Ned.

ps list not in any order, perhaps jason you can re-order them lol

[Edited on 11/3/05 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 11/3/05 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
ok, add me to the interested price dependent.
ned

posted on 11/3/05 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Jason,

Just a thought, you could put the first tested/sample on ebay to gauge the interest there, sure you won't have problems shifting them on a buy it now basis or even as an open auction..

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Deckman001

posted on 11/3/05 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
The list is in this order

me D
GasGasGas D
Fozzie D
scutter D
Ned D
Surrey Dave I
Paulf I
avoneer I
Northy I
NsDev I
pk I
Kissy D
MikeR I
whpracer I
robby D

Jason

[Edited on 17/3/05 by Deckman001]

Deckman001

posted on 11/3/05 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ned Thanks, but I'm a locoster so will sell to people here first, if there are any left then they go to highest bidder

Jason

ned

posted on 11/3/05 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
that's what i meant unless you want to make more sets up to sell at extorionate amounts of money to those silly ebayers remember i got £820 for a set of 45's

Ned.

James

posted on 11/3/05 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
That sounds right, yes. The alloy will tend to get "hammered" by the bearing outer race as it rotates and then allow the outer race to "walk" around in the hub.

So yes, the race will probably want to be a shrink fit or good press fit.

Haing said that, I havent done it so I don't know!

It would be easy and cheap to get the bearing area of the hub shot peened to toughen it up if it's a worry.

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 11/3/05 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

gazza285

posted on 11/3/05 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
It would be easy and cheap to get the bearing area of the hub shot peened to toughen it up if it's a worry.

How would that help?

[Edited on 11/3/05 by gazza285]

James

posted on 11/3/05 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
It would help as certain areas of the hub (the area onto which the bearing carrier goes) would be tougher as a result of the peaning. Therefore less prone to wear from the bearing carrier moving against it. The bearing would therefore not have to be fitted so tight in the first place- allowing potentially for home fitment.

Anyway, maybe it wouldn't help but an interesting idea nonetheless!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

ned

posted on 11/3/05 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
James,

The whole point is that the bearing should be a good fit and never move around in the first place afaik

Ned.

gazza285

posted on 11/3/05 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
I know shot peaning is used to reduce stress raisers but to toughen alloy surfaces, that's a new one on me.
James

posted on 11/3/05 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure it's used in Formula 1 to surface toughen gears.

James

clbarclay

posted on 11/3/05 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
I can tell you from experiance that a lose bearing shell rapidly wears away even cast iron. Not a pritty sight to sort out.

As for the shot peening, are you talking about 'work hardening'?

I know that work hardening increases strength (not 100% sure though, may be wrong if so please correct me) but not sure that it affects wear rates.

James

posted on 11/3/05 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
As I said, it probably wouldn't work. In fact maybe it's not even used on alloy. Formula 1 gears are of course a tough alloy steel in the first place. But they are peened to give the first 1or2mm of surface a tougher finish.

First likely looking link off Google:
http://www.avcorp.com/shot-peening.asp

All I was thinking was that getting a bearing shink fitted can't be that easy. Maybe peening would have toughened the alloy enough for you to be able to fit it yourself.

Probably not though so I'll shut up!

Cheers,
James

NS Dev

posted on 11/3/05 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clbarclay
I can tell you from experiance that a lose bearing shell rapidly wears away even cast iron. Not a pritty sight to sort out.

I know that work hardening increases strength (not 100% sure though, may be wrong if so please correct me) but not sure that it affects wear rates.

not thinking of 2wd tractor front wheel bearings???? done a few of those in the past!!!

NS Dev

posted on 11/3/05 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
It's nothing to worry about, no need for peening etc, as long as the fit is tighter than that used on a steel housing, that's all, lets not get carried away. Other thing (expecially on a low mileage car like this) is to also loctite the outer races before pressing them in.
gazza285

posted on 11/3/05 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
All I was thinking was that getting a bearing shink fitted can't be that easy.

One in the oven, one in the freezer and a big hammer! If you want to be careful, a copper and hide hammer. If you've got the money, a press.

clbarclay

posted on 11/3/05 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
quote:
Originally posted by clbarclay

not thinking of 2wd tractor front wheel bearings???? done a few of those in the past!!!

4wd actually, was a case of filling the gap with weld and gring it back. Before it was fixed it was about half a turn on the steering wheel before the front wheels turned

[Edited on 11/3/05 by clbarclay]

Kissy

posted on 14/3/05 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Make me a 'D'
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.