Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA Warning - brake bias bars
Rob Lane

posted on 16/8/03 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Andy,

I've had a few failures of rivnuts threads or the rivnut itself loosening in hole. To be fair it's usually when the threads are put under straight pull end strain. They are very good when put under side strain.

I think it was Dick who works for a brake company that pointed out the strains imposed upon the braking pedals/cylinders. I've looked for the posting but can't find it.

I'm sure there has also been some SVA failures with regard to Sierra type master cylinder mounting on the single thickness bulkhead steel sheet and it was Dick who pointed out that the whole pedal box arrangement should be very solidly fastened in order to transfer forces involved into braking effort.

In my original application of a Sierra cylinder I had added two 3mm steel straps welded to sheet metal pedalbox I made to stiffen this, it was favourably commented on in the SVA test. This was in early days of SVA.

I hadn't given much thought to another solution till now.

Blindingly obvious, just replace bolts/setscrews with longer HT versions that protrude through rivnut and put a nut over threads exposed.

Rob

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.