Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Isnt this a bit naughty?
BenB

posted on 15/1/07 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
somebody should buy it for the lotus chassis number then rebuild that - use the lightweight as a track day car until it falls to pieces .

You want to use a leightweight on a track? Brave man!!!

The whole situation is ridiculous. It's not even an original engine- its a Pinto. I suspect he had the Lightweight finished before he found the Lotus chassis.... Ahem....

If the new car was based upon a proven chassis I wouldn't mind. But to make a car with known engineering problems, not MOT it, not put it through SVA, not keep it to drive (ie only risk your own life) but instead to flog it on Ebay putting some suckers life at risk just sucks (to put it mildly).
If someone bought it, the car crashed due this plonker's ineptitude and deceipt and that person died wouldn't he be up for manslaughter? After all his actions (ringing motors) resulted in someone else's death. Then again, you could say he sold it on knowing it had problems so it's premeditated!!!

What a git!!!

iank

posted on 15/1/07 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Not to mention that a lightweight would be a poor choice for trackday car.

They are around 600kg with a Zetec, presumably a few kg more with a pinto.

Also if you did crash it would be pretty much impossible to repair. No idea if they are safe in a crash (well as safe as a spaceframe).

andyps

posted on 15/1/07 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
I can see where he is coming from - but he is totally wrong. Example 1 is correct, but does not apply to his car. It would be OK (I think) if he had kept a few of the original tubes and replaced any which were rotten - after all this is what happens to a lot of cars when undergoing restoration anyway. As for the engine, yes that would be OK if it was in an original spec chassis, but it isn't so that doesn't work.

As for his example 2, as far as I am aware the person doing that to a Clio would actually be breaking the rules - it would be sufficient alteration to the chassis as to mean it should have an SVA test. I know most would not do this, but close reading of the rules shows this to be the case - effectively by making the change to mid-engined sufficient to be classed as a new chassis.

Overall though, pretty daft thing to do as the time spent repairing a genuine Lotus chassis would have been more than repaid in resale value.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

martyn_16v

posted on 15/1/07 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Do the bidders stop being anonymous once the auction finishes? I'm not used to this new system ebay have yet, but some fine upstanding and clearly concerned citizen could possibly send a message to the winning bidder (and the rest of them as well) pointing them towards this and the RH thread, just in case they aren't aware of what they are getting in to.....
DaveFJ

posted on 15/1/07 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
I was wandering about this sort of thing the other night... i was watching an edition of Wheeler Dealers on sky, they had a VW beetle that was rotten and decided to turn it into a beach buggy-- no problems there...

But the chassis was rotten so they junked it and bought a new one (getting a little dubious now) But the chassis they bought was a special shortened one.... surely they now need an SVA ?

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

iank

posted on 15/1/07 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
I think that current opinion is that shortened chassis beach buggies (SWB) need an SVA. A lot of manufacturers are now making LWB models which use an unchopped one.
MikeRJ

posted on 15/1/07 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
He has simply built a Robin Hood Lightweight, and slapped a Lotus VIN plate on it. He has not, by any stretch of the imagination "rebuilt" a Lotus.
andyps

posted on 15/1/07 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
I was wandering about this sort of thing the other night... i was watching an edition of Wheeler Dealers on sky, they had a VW beetle that was rotten and decided to turn it into a beach buggy-- no problems there...

But the chassis was rotten so they junked it and bought a new one (getting a little dubious now) But the chassis they bought was a special shortened one.... surely they now need an SVA ?

If a beetle floorpan/chassis is shortened then the car built on it needs an SVA test, if the resulting car is built on a complete floorpan then it doesn't.

I don't know for sure, but a shortie mini or beetle as on another thread presumably should have an SVA.

Andy

Aboardman

posted on 16/1/07 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
since this post was first started the price of the car has gone up from £1800 to £2800
iank

posted on 16/1/07 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
With 4.5 days to go...

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

andyps

posted on 16/1/07 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
I guess if it is cheap enough you could buy it, get a genuine lotus chassis (replica from Arch motors) and build the car back up from that and then sell it as what the registration says, and maybe still make money. Not that I am suggesting that would be legal - but it would be better than the current car.

Andy

JoelP

posted on 16/1/07 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
his best bet would've been to keep a photo diary of the 'rebuild' and make his own replacement chassis, identical to the original. That would've been much more legal IMHO.

[Edited on 16/1/07 by JoelP]

iank

posted on 16/1/07 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately also very easy to steal a real one and put this reg onto it and have an un-SVAed Lightweight to go back onto ebay.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

DIY Si

posted on 19/1/07 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
This has just ended, and hopefully didn't sell. The robin hood folk seems just as concerned, if not more so than "we" do about it. Lets hope it didn't sell, and as such saved someone from a premature ending.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

t.j.

posted on 19/1/07 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
It will be exported to stupid countries like the Netherlands.

Oh no, i'm dutch........

Not every country has a kitcar story.
So you could fool somebody easily.

Marcus

posted on 20/1/07 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Bloody hell, a thread where everyone agrees - put the flags out!!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Metal Hippy

posted on 21/1/07 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
Bloody hell, a thread where everyone agrees - put the flags out!!

I disagree with Marcus on principle.

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.