Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Got my bodywork at last!
Avoneer

posted on 24/2/07 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Those smiley at the top soon changed !!!

And nobody believed me...

I tried to tell Tiger about all this right at the beginning, but they wouldn't listen.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DaveFJ

posted on 24/2/07 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Don't get me wrong

I'm still really pleased with my Avon. I don't think that there is that much difference between my bodywork and everyone else's or my chassis for that matter. If there is a problem i am sure it is down to me and I will solve it....

It's just making the chances of getting it to stoneliegh even more remote... but I WILL be on the road this sumer

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

carlgeldard

posted on 24/2/07 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
Don't get me wrong

If there is a problem i am sure it is down to me and I will solve it....

Strange that we've all had the same problems.

Carl

DaveFJ

posted on 24/2/07 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
yup and a bit of buggering around has fixed it for everyone else so I see no reason why it won't be the same for me.......

Just not sure at the moment what that buggering around might consist of!

Dave

Avoneer

posted on 24/2/07 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Jim

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ayoungman

posted on 24/2/07 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote

I'm assembling my rear suspension this weekend, I've already fitted my body tub, so if you think you've got problems, wish me luck ! I'll post pictures tomorrw night if all goes well

"just like that !"

carlgeldard

posted on 24/2/07 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
How did you line up your bodywork without your rear suspension built up

ayoungman

posted on 24/2/07 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
very careful measurement from various reference points, oh.......and a shed full of luck

"just like that !"

ayoungman

posted on 24/2/07 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Completed dry assembly of rear suspension tonight, rear wheels are centred quite nicely in wheel arch, sorry about the pictures, but I don't have enough space to move back far enough to get a decent picture ! Rescued attachment DSCF0044.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0044.JPG

"just like that !"

DaveFJ

posted on 26/2/07 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Had another good look at the weekend, and also had a visit from another Avon builder based near me who is currently struggling with the bodywork...

I have 2 questions for those of you who have succesfully built your Avons....

1. at the front of the scuttle does the fibreglass go behind or in front of the diagonal pedal support? I think mine wants to actually sit on it!

2. at the back lower edge, have you attached the bodywork above the chassis lip or below it or right underneath onto the box section chassis member.

I think that If I move my bodywork slightly and get it sat down properly then the alignment will be fine
Only problem with that is my steering wheel will be so close to the dash that my knuckles will touch! SO... now in the process of removing my column to see if there is any room for adjusting the length (looks like I have half an inch to gain at the mounting collar)

Incidentally: The guy who came over at the weekend has been given the standard Avon bonnet with no bulge - and he is fitting a zetec! unfortunately his car is a dfferent colour to mine )

Dave

soggy 3

posted on 26/2/07 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
You could always paint the bonnet black?
Or try to get some paint to match the gel coat you might be able to get the RAL number from tiger.

[Edited on 26/2/07 by soggy 3]

andrew.carwithen

posted on 26/2/07 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
Had another good look at the weekend, and also had a visit from another Avon builder based near me who is currently struggling with the bodywork...

I have 2 questions for those of you who have succesfully built your Avons....

1. at the front of the scuttle does the fibreglass go behind or in front of the diagonal pedal support? I think mine wants to actually sit on it!

2. at the back lower edge, have you attached the bodywork above the chassis lip or below it or right underneath onto the box section chassis member.

I think that If I move my bodywork slightly and get it sat down properly then the alignment will be fine
Only problem with that is my steering wheel will be so close to the dash that my knuckles will touch! SO... now in the process of removing my column to see if there is any room for adjusting the length (looks like I have half an inch to gain at the mounting collar)

Incidentally: The guy who came over at the weekend has been given the standard Avon bonnet with no bulge - and he is fitting a zetec! unfortunately his car is a dfferent colour to mine )

I think the bodywork is designed to sit on the lip, but I have to say in order to get the rear tub to sit down properly around the rollbar mount area, it looks like on mine (when I finally fit it, for the last time!) it wants to sit underneath the lip (means I'll have to prise it over the lip which may cause it to crack!)
As regards the pedal assy bracket, I cant help you there as I removed all mine due to fitting floor mounted jobbies.
With regard to the close proximity of the dash to steering wheel, I had some spacers made up approx 30mm in length (by a guy on ebay) to sit under the mounting boss. I also extended the shaft by knocking the inner triangular section down out of the outer sleeve by an appropriate amount, until column shroud cleared the scuttle/dash.

HTH,
Andy.

ayoungman

posted on 27/2/07 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, mine was a tight squeeze to get it to pop under the lip. Thats where it is riveted. clickyI've spent the weekend building the rear suspension, and it all fits and it is centred in the wheel arches

Here's the weird bit though, I followed the avon book on wishbone layout. My wishbones are exactly as per the book and it all fits together. Also, my driveshafts are dead staight to each hub !

As soon as I can wheel her out of the garage, I'll take some more decent pictures if that'll help your alignment issues.

[Edited on 27/2/07 by ayoungman]

"just like that !"

DaveFJ

posted on 28/2/07 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Not that weird...

I tried re-building my wishbones the other day and when i had them as per the book the wheel sat only about a quarter inch back from when i have them 'the right way' round.... BUT it was much harder to line up the upper wishbone.....

Dave

ayoungman

posted on 28/2/07 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
I got the top bones in first, then connected the hub carrier, then made the rose joint connection last. Used a "bit of effort" to help line them up

"just like that !"

DaveFJ

posted on 11/3/07 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
success at last...

after spending this afternoon examining tractor boy's Avon I got home abd attacked the bodywork. end result....

rear arch 2
rear arch 2

Dave

soggy 3

posted on 11/3/07 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
My hair has only just started growing back from sorting my suspension out!!
ayoungman

posted on 18/3/07 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
All part of the Avon building experience.

"just like that !"

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.