Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: newbie over whelmed
gaz_gaz

posted on 17/1/13 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
Got an s54 engine with 70k on it.
All the problem areas already done such as head gasket. Conrod recall and vanos.
Still in the car with full 1 owner history.

If you fancy going really fast.

40inches

posted on 17/1/13 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Put your location in your profile, someone near you may offer a ride.

john-d

posted on 17/1/13 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Im from washington tyne and wear..
rodgling

posted on 17/1/13 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by john-d
Had my share of valve clearences and vanos mate... If thats an s50 or 54 fook me yours must fly though

It's the E36 M3 EVO engine, and yes it does. Vanos looks healthy as far as I can tell, valve clearances shouldn't be that hard to do (not that I've done them mind). The first M3 engine I had did have a faulty vanos and died from a spun shell so I take your point, but fingers crossed this one is good. Should be relatively unstressed in a 7.

It is a heavy lump though, I keep changing my mind on the "perfect" engine for a 7 but today I reckon if starting from scratch I'd be eyeing up an S2000 engine.

dhutch

posted on 17/1/13 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
I bought my car aged 21 (now 25) after spending a lot of time considering bike engine, car engine, building, buying and ended up buying a secondhand and have not regretted it, but my requirments of the car where diffrent as I had come to the conclusion I wasnt patience enought to deal with a build.

Work out what you want to do with the car and get yourself some passenger rides.
- I wanted to have some I could have fun in on track, but also use on the road in the summer. I have dont trackdays in it, but also taken the girlfreind to the middle of france for a week, and now use it for autotesting. Racing in a series didnt appeal, although my housemate at uni and also member on here built a locost and raced it in the 750mc, which is another option, as are sprints/hill climbs and says at santapod.

Have a look at a few second hand or members cars, and test drive them if you can, even if looking at building it will give a feeling for what others have done and what you can expect.

The cvh in mine is putting out I think maybe around 130brake, car weighs 540kg, standard radtio type 9, open live rear axle, 185X60R13's all round, and it certainly doesnt feel slow to 60. Driving around town, out of roundabouts, when autotesting it feels seriously quick, and although acceration drops off once you get abot 60, 70-80 on the motorway of backstraight feels like 110.

My current housemate has the supercharged JCW mini which claims mid 5's to 60 and isnt driven lightly and when when the topic came up he suggested that 'the kitcar would proberbly have have it to 100, but the mini after that' and while im fairly confident I would have it to 60 the kitcar tops out not much beyond 100, which sort of shows how diffrent the feel. As I said, you need to get yourself in one! Nothing quite like feeling the back end squirm as you boot ir out of a damp roundabout! Gokart.

Daniel

[Edited on 17/1/2013 by dhutch]

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.