Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rose jointed suspension-that bad on the road?
oldtimer

posted on 10/11/08 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Rose jointed suspension-that bad on the road?

Rose joints - the part built chassis I have came with rose joints on the suspension.

So....

What are they like under road use??feed-back from actual users please.
How long do they last??
Do people fit boots over them for weather protection?
As it'll be the occasional trackday and maybe the occasional hill climb should I swap for bushes now??

I've all my bits now soit's time to actually put the stuff together.

nitram38

posted on 10/11/08 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I'ved used them on the F1-2 without any problems, they are also going on the Motaleira. Atom use them.
No boots on mine, I just check them from time to time.
2300 miles on the F1-2 and they are still good.
Less flex on your suspension means more accurate set up and feedback while driving.
Opinions will differ.....I like them....others won't. Downside is they are more expensive in the long run.
A good cheap supplier is Mcgill motorsports. Look them up on ebay.

[Edited on 10/11/2008 by nitram38]

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/11/08 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
just the fact that folk seem impressed with them if they do a few thousand where as I'd expect many tens of thousands from a normal joint makes my mind up. Also our roads are so awful the thought of feeling every imperfection hardly appeals. Fine for racing though when you have money to burn.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scutter

posted on 10/11/08 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
My rear suspension is fully rose jointed, really good feedback through your a*se, mind i've a padded roadster 7 seat, don't know what they'd be like with some skinny fibreglass shells.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 10/11/08 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scutter
My rear suspension is fully rose jointed, really good feedback through your a*se,
ATB Dan.

well you've no doubt heard of ' vibration white finger syndrome'...

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

Flamez

posted on 10/11/08 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
mmm. my mac [in build] uses them on front top wishbones and 1/2 rear bottom wishbones. They do I guess allow more finite adjustments? as for ride etc I'll leave that to others for now.

my build mac1motorsports

Paul TigerB6

posted on 10/11/08 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

The original poster asked for opinions off people who have used rose jointed suspension. How many miles have you done in a rose jointed car??

lsdweb

posted on 10/11/08 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go rose jointed every time for the precise feel and ability to adjust.

Totally different use for me though - not a lot of road mileage.

I'd also recommend McGill Motorsport - spot on with quality and excellent delivery times!

Wyn

mr henderson

posted on 10/11/08 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
quote:

The original poster asked for opinions off people who have used rose jointed suspension. How many miles have you done in a rose jointed car??

Well, to be fair to Mr W, it isn't exactly a fair question from the OP. If he asks to receive ony responses from people who actually use rose joints on a road car then his results are going to be badly skewed as the resaonable presumption is that RJ users would be unlikely to say that they were doing the wrong thing

John

Paul TigerB6

posted on 10/11/08 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
Well, to be fair to Mr W, it isn't exactly a fair question from the OP. If he asks to receive ony responses from people who actually use rose joints on a road car then his results are going to be badly skewed as the resaonable presumption is that RJ users would be unlikely to say that they were doing the wrong thing

John

Why isnt it fair to ask for the opinion of people who have actually done it over general concencus of the masses?? I'd take their opinion over heresay every time so think its a reasonable question to ask - i am guessing that the OP expected some negative comments from people with no 1st hand experience.

We see the same thing when it comes to BEC vs CEC. I bet many of the derogatory comments re BECs come from people who have never been in one.

Anyway, IMHO if you dont mind the noticably harsher ride and the additional maintainance then i'd also use rose jointed suspension on a car that is going to be used on track occasionally. For a pure road car i doubt you would get close enough to the limits to really benefit from the more precise feel / setup.

mr henderson

posted on 10/11/08 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6

Why isnt it fair to ask for the opinion of people who have actually done it over general concencus of the masses??

I think I used the wrong word when I said 'fair'. Perhaps 'useful' would have been better.

Sometimes people don't actually need to do the exact thing that is being asked about to have a viable opinion on the subject. For instance, I have never had any body piercings or tattoos, and if someone was asking whether they should make a visit to a tattoo parlour, then I think my opinion would be equally valid as that of somebody who had had lots

John

contaminated

posted on 10/11/08 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
7000 miles on my rose joints with no issues.
oldtimer

posted on 10/11/08 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
My request for user only input was due to the fact that I see this as a technical/practical issue rather than opinion/aesthetics.

Negative and positive feedback about rose joint use happily received.

Regards

Martin

Paul TigerB6

posted on 10/11/08 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Oh well i'll have to admit defeat on the understanding of that point of view when it comes to specific technical issues. I'd always put more weight on genuine experience over speculation
russbost

posted on 10/11/08 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have them on my original Furore as it has the Formula Ford suspension from the "donor", for the new car I have gone to poly bushes purely for cost reasons. I don't think you would feel the difference between poly bushes & rose joints on the road. In terms of life I've got no problems on the original car & these are all old joints which had been used for racing (in the '70's) dry stored for years then put back into use, they've done about 1500 road miles, you hear of poly bushes wearing out (tho' I think this is largely due to incorrect assembly) just as rose joints do, given the sort of mileage these types of car usually cover I doubt you'll be wearing many out.
My advice would be decide which you want to go with based on cost/performance issues rather than longevity.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
scutter

posted on 10/11/08 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by scutter
My rear suspension is fully rose jointed, really good feedback through your a*se,
ATB Dan.

Mr Whippy, I think you'll find it's my thumb what's normally there.

I think i'm getting close to 6000miles on the rose joints a slight bit of play in the panhard rod, I can live with a tenner of joints over 5000miles.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

MikeR

posted on 10/11/08 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
mine hasn't turned a wheel yet but has full rose jointed pan hard rod and half rose rear trailing links (the car side is poly bush, the axle rose).

Hopefully i'll have something close to the best of all worlds...... some time in 2020 when i get on the road.

rubberburner

posted on 11/11/08 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Ive got a BEC, covered some 7000km over the last three years with an even split between road and track. Its fully rose jointed. Ive changed two joints, which where old from the start, the rest is fine. Im using grease filled rubber boots on the joints to keep them clean and well lubricated. Comfortwise I think its ok for the mileage and type of driving Im doing on the road, a quick sunday morning journey when the sun is shining is extremly satisfying, when it comes to feel on the track I simply love it.

If your focus will be road usage I would recommend bushes, but if track running is your game, rose joints is the way to go.

Used as a daily transport to work, whatever weather, I would go for a more comfortable type of vehicle though.

Thats my experience anyway.

[Edited on 11/11/08 by rubberburner]

Hellfire

posted on 11/11/08 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Like Flamez, we have rose joints fitted on our front top wishbones and half lower rear wishbones. We use them for the accurate adjustability they give for setup. We haven't noticed any difference in the overall ride quality. The rubber boots we got with them haven't been fitted because we felt they would be much easier to check and service without them.

Can't really comment on the longevity though cos we've had them fitted for about 6 months and only covered about 1,000 miles on them.

Phil

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.