Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New User building a Viento
MarkL

posted on 19/1/04 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
New User building a Viento

Like most people I have been watching the board for a while and have learnt so much, but I have now taken the plunge and joined.

I am building a Viento V8 with a 4x4 lsd and a T5 gearbox, although not very far on with the project due to my degree studies (I am 40 started a little later) so from June I should speed up. Based in Manchester if anyone needs any help or is local just let me know?

ChrisW

posted on 19/1/04 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got a set of side panels??

See my post a bit further down!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MarkL

posted on 19/1/04 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have a set of factory panels in stainless. Just trying to get the hang of the board before I replied.

Mark

ChrisW

posted on 20/1/04 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
any chance of you drawing around the 'big end' of one of the outside panels and posting it to me? I'm having real trouble working out where the wishbone cutouts should go on my custom ones!

Chris

[Edited on 20/1/04 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MarkL

posted on 20/1/04 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Chris.
Not a problem do you want a full size copy.

Mark

Dave J

posted on 20/1/04 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Further to my reply to your other post Chris, it looks like Mark's template will be the better option.
However if you would still like me to do some measuring its not a problem.
I'm sure between us we will sort it out.

Best of luck on your build Mark, I'm a bit further on with mine, I've had more than a few head scratching moments but nothing that I haven't been able to sort.
Coincidentally mine is also V8 , T5 G'Box and lsd.
Should be awesome (assuming it will go)

If I can be of assistance, I'll do my best to help.

Cheers

Dave

ChrisW

posted on 20/1/04 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys! Full size copy would be great. If you could draw round the relevant shape and the custouts it will be much appreciated. I can aquire some big sheets of paper from work if needed!

Cheers, Chris.

My gaff my rules

MarkL

posted on 21/1/04 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
Dave j
Many thanks for the offer of help I am sure I can think of a few questions to ask you.

Chris
If you can wait till weekend I will dig out some photos of a Viento I took under construction it,s from the the engine bay looking at the rad and wishbones its a good shot no dims or scale but it gives you the feel for the cutouts.
And it,s hi res, I will stick them on a cd if any use.
I will just do a fullsize drwg of the front end and dims, otherwise you will get an 8 foot role of woodchip painted silver. Anything elese you need.

Mark

ChrisW

posted on 21/1/04 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mark. Weekend is fine! No need to draw around the whole panel - I'm sure I can work out the back bit, it's just the front I'm worried about!

Having said that - a diagram will be fine!

Chris

My gaff my rules

MarkL

posted on 22/1/04 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
Chris
I have some photos and a big cardboard cut out that should help. I will get the photos on disc this weekend.
Its the first time I have looked at the side panels and they were more complicated than I thought. just let me know where you want me to send the info.

Mark

MarkL

posted on 23/1/04 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
Just having a practice trying to post a photo of the side panels.

Mark Rescued attachment sidepanel.JPG
Rescued attachment sidepanel.JPG

Dave J

posted on 26/1/04 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh they are not as straight forward as first thought.

Nice picture. Now if you draw a continuation line from the L H angled edge up to join another line following the top edge and use the resulting point as a datum, then perhaps put in a few centre line dimensions for the holes (use masking tape or white marker) I reckon Chris could make it from that.
(sorry if Granny and suck eggs comes to mind)

I would add a cautionary note in that although I have pre made ST/STL side panels, the suspension/ steering rack hole positions are not exact in fact the rubber gaiters on the steering rack are uncomfortably close to the top of the hole.

The moral here Chris is measure/ check twice cut once.

If you still want my measurements Chris, let me know, but I reckon the easiest way is with Mark's as above, as I have to fight around my suspension to get the measurements. No prob if necessary

All the best

Dave.

Dave J

posted on 26/1/04 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
er why has this page become huge?, could it be the picture needs to be a tad smaller?

How many times have you wanted to put a big hammer thru your pc. Clarkson did it last week, looked very therapeutic.

Cheers

Dave

MarkL

posted on 26/1/04 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Something went wrong, I saved the image using fireworks to the right size but when I uploaded it the image returned to the origional size.
If anyone needs any more pictures just let me know

Chris W
I have a full size outline and some more photos if you still need them

Mark

ChrisW

posted on 26/1/04 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
That picture is a great help Mark! How big/heavy is the cardboard? Would be great if you could post it (I'll happily pay the postage) but don't go to any trouble if it's not really possible - I can go from the photos if necessary.

Chris

My gaff my rules

MarkL

posted on 26/1/04 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Chris
Might convert it to a paper templete probably send it through work so you are Ok for the postage, just let me know where you want it to go.

Mark

ChrisW

posted on 26/1/04 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Mark

Have sent you a u2u!

Chris

My gaff my rules

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.