Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: Corsa C12NZ Engine Bogging Down
paulbeyer

posted on 15/11/08 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
OT: Corsa C12NZ Engine Bogging Down

Hopefully there is a Vauxhall Guru on here that can help me with a problem I am having on a 1993 Corsa B 1.2 8 valve (C12NZ engine). Recently the head gasket went and the engine cooked so I replaced the head gasket, cambelt, tensioner, water pump and skimmed the head. It all went back together fine (all the timing marks lined up etc.) but the only thing I couldn't do at the time was the timing. As such I drove the car for a week with the engine pinking under acceleration but still quite eager. I bought a timing strobe and sorted the timing and since then it's a pig to start and just bogs down whenever I put my foot on the loud pedal.
I have checked everything I can think of and I can't think of anything that has changed since the head gasket went.
Has anyone got any advice because I am stuffed now.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

Davey D

posted on 15/11/08 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
could any of the valves be knackered?

paulbeyer

posted on 15/11/08 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
No, all that was checked when the head was off to be skimmed. It seems like fuel starvation to me but I can't figure out what would be causing it. Like I said, everything was fine before it overheated.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

froggy

posted on 15/11/08 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
cam timing is out ,the marks on the crank may well line up and be whats in the book but ive had problems with this before ,time it up as per the marks then move the crank back anti clockwise one tooth then turn it over by hand to check its all clear

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

paulbeyer

posted on 15/11/08 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froggy
cam timing is out ,the marks on the crank may well line up and be whats in the book but ive had problems with this before ,time it up as per the marks then move the crank back anti clockwise one tooth then turn it over by hand to check its all clear

Cheers Froggy but I'm not sure what you mean. If the timing marks line up then surely the timing will be correct? I have a mark to line up on the bottom crank pulley and another at the top end on the crankshaft pulley. What do you mean by backing it off anti clockwise one tooth?
I think you are onto something here but I don't have it clear in my head what I need to do.

rusty nuts

posted on 15/11/08 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds more like the ignition timing is retarded to me , possibly distributor auto or vacuum advance not working. Was a common problem on the old Nova, can't remember if a 93 Corsa is the same?
froggy

posted on 15/11/08 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
ive had this on a couple of early astras ,when i timed it up the bottom pulley was out of line with the top mark on the cam so i timed it up with the proper marks and it ran ok put was gutless so i put it back on with the bottom pulley out of line and it ran well. ive had this twice both on 93 cars.

this was a few years back but i think i pulled no1 plug and moved the crank to bring it up to tdc this moved the keyway in the crank from 6 oclock to 5 o clock, i might be wrong but it sounds like its worth a look

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.