Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Does anybody know the Sunderland area?
andrews_45

posted on 20/11/08 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Does anybody know the Sunderland area?

Today at work I was told that there were going to be massive redundancies and I may be effected. However there is a possibility of an internal company transfer to Sunderland. Does anybody know the area and if so what is it like as a place to live? I have a wife and 2 babies which I have to consider...
chris_smith

posted on 20/11/08 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
my wife is from their and she moved down to lancashire about 13 yrs ago she will never move back her words not mine dont mean to scare you though im sure its a nice place if you can learn the foreign language that is

The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

Guinness

posted on 20/11/08 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Tricky one, no job in Derbyshire in the current economic climate, or moving to Sunderland and being employed.

Between a rock and a hard place there son!

My Dad's family are all from Sunderland, but we all live in Newcastle now

Seriously though, it's not the nicest town centre I've ever been too, and there are some rough areas. BUT there are some very nice areas, and they are cheaper on a like for like basis than houses in Newcastle.

I know a couple of lads who live in Newcastle and commute to Sunderland, it's about a 30 min drive on a normal day, an hour at peak times.

If you do want / need to come up, I've got a mate who runs the best letting agency (IMHO) in Sunderland if you want a look round some properties / areas.

If you do move up, consider living a short commute to Sunderland, inland Durham / Chester-le-Street or up the coast at Cleadon or down the coast at Seaham.

HTH

Mike

(Let me know if you need anything else!)

iank

posted on 20/11/08 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^ What he said, short commute into work opens up much nicer areas.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

trextr7monkey

posted on 20/11/08 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hi I spent the first 18 years of my life about 10 miles south of Sunderland in a delightful seaside mining village- I'm being sarcastic there- it was the dirtiest beach in Europe for a while. Great memories and wouldn't swap it if I had my time over again but I had no regrets about leaving.
Sunderland was a reasonable place but hasnever recovered from the end of domestic shipbuilding industry in my opinion, we still go through but if you are used to Derbyshire it may well prove a very large culture shock. I would never consider moving back there although we visit family on a regular basis.

If you are really, really desperate then have a look at it, you would need to think hard about how far out you wanted to live and compare that with maybe a longer commute from where you are now.
Hope this helps in some way !
atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

JoelP

posted on 20/11/08 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
ive done a few fits in sunderland. Mostly nice people i met but seemed a little neglected in places. If i lived there i would be more concerned about security than i am now, but i wouldnt fear to walk the streets myself. Would be less happy to have the wife walking about though, i got the impression that the place did contain clowns who would libertise people if they thought they could get away with it, if you follow me.
coozer

posted on 20/11/08 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
My wife works in the middle of Sunderland and we live about 9 mikes south in a nice little town called Hetton le Hole. I love it here having been born in this house!

Lots of villages and small towns round here, either on the coast or inland towards the hills. Commuting into Sunderland is really relaxed compared to most big cities so worth living west side of the A19.

Sunderland is a huge city now and as said some really nice posh places and some really skint rough areas, much the same as every where in the country.

If you want to come up and have a look I'll be glad to show round the city and surrounding area.

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

drhunter

posted on 21/11/08 at 01:18 AM Reply With Quote
I live in Ryton (on the west of Gateshead)
When I have to go to Sunderland as my first call it takes under an hour on an average day.

Have a look at Google maps to check the distance.

As others have said there are some nice areas and some dodgy areas but this is the same for any town/city.

With any luck you'll avoid the chop but if you do come up North then you'll be welcomed!

kj

posted on 21/11/08 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
i live in washington just out side of sunderland again washington has some nice estates and some not so nice.
Find out where in sunderland you would be working and look around for short travelling distance you will get a lot for your money house wise.
I was born and lived in sunderland now in washington and like it, still work in sunderland just dont like the football team
Good luck,

DarrenW

posted on 21/11/08 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Asksomeone from Newcastle and you will get a skewed answer.

As said already some of the surrounding areas are very nice indeed. The Wearside coastline has undergone a lot of regeneration in recent years. Some areas are still a bit suspect (as in all areas of the country) but i love it up North.

Choose your area well and the commute can be OK. Im in the South Durham area and have North Yorkshire moors etc on my doorstep - very beautiful. Also Durham and Chester-Le-Street (and some surrounding parts) are great. Further North and you cant get much better than Northumberland. Across to the west (Hexham, Corbridge etc etc) is fantastic but pricier.

Its worth spending a couple of weekends to have a look around.

andrews_45

posted on 21/11/08 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Nice 1 for opinions chaps. Some food for thought there. I'm starting to think about commuting up for the week and lodging in a bedsit or summat...
DarrenW

posted on 21/11/08 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrews_45
Nice 1 for opinions chaps. Some food for thought there. I'm starting to think about commuting up for the week and lodging in a bedsit or summat...

I think thats the way i would do it rather than move family too soon. Derby to Sunderland isnt too far if you needed to pop home mid week too. Would give you chance to get to know the place.

To be honest no-where up North is nice. Its all flat caps and whipets. Deprived ex-mining towns with huge unemployment and major violence.............

Keep it to yourself how nice it really is - we dont want too many people moving in. About time we introduced a visa system up here!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.