Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The Work shy
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/12/08 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
The Work shy

We have a couple like this near us never worked in 40 some years.
Recently the eldest got a job in the local quarry....so the council canceled their benefits.......he now doesnt work anymore so the cycle continues

just seen this on the beeb

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7746174.stm

simoto

posted on 2/12/08 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Rather give them my money than banks, credit card and *&^%($ insurance companies just for being clever enough to stick the hand out.
Give me charity over corruption any day.

paul the 6th

posted on 2/12/08 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
bone. idle. Why work and let a third of your wage go to tax & N.I. when you can do bugger all and get money for free?

[Edited on 2/12/08 by paul the 6th]

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2750
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 2/12/08 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Make em scrub the chewing gum off the pavements with a toothbrush the lazy b'stards
whitestu

posted on 2/12/08 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Giving it to the banks benefits us all - not sure what the benefit of giving it to thes people is.
scootz

posted on 2/12/08 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Argh... don't get me started!
oldtimer

posted on 2/12/08 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
^^quite
smart51

posted on 2/12/08 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't the government planning something at the moment to make people on long term benefits do "something"? Either "look for a job full time" whatever that might be, or charity work or community work.

I have no problem with people who don't want to work, so long as they don't expect others to pay them. I have no problem with making people do something for a minimum number of hours per week for their benefits, once a few months has passed since losing their last job.

I do think that everyone should work for a living. There are too many school leavers whose ambition is "to go on the dole like my dad" or " to get pregnant and jump the housing queue like my mum".

I do, though, think unemployment benefit and incapacity benefits are a good thing - for people who are between jobs or who genuinely cannot work. The right balance is to give a decent sum to those who are unfortunate enough not to be in work, whilst not funding for life the work dodgers.

Danozeman

posted on 2/12/08 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Giving it to the banks benefits us all - not sure what the benefit of giving it to thes people is.

So they can buy fags and booze.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

A1

posted on 2/12/08 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
why do we let these people breed, has anyone noticed how they all have a million kids and pets?!
all they spend their benefits on is booze and drugs...still, at least the government might start making them work. although the penalties need to be tougher. like losing benefits all together if they refuse to work.
why should we pay for them to live, especially as they then go and steal and beg.

JoelP

posted on 2/12/08 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Simple solutions:

Jobseekers allowance should be related to how much income tax you have paid in the last 24 months. For a few months its a good wage, since it can take a few months to get back into work. Then it should trail off to an amount that really makes you want to work.

Child benefit should not be payable for 4th and subsequent children. Having kids isnt cheap and if you cant afford to do it right, dont do it at all.

RK

posted on 2/12/08 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Work Shy: wasn't that the Fabulous Poodles??

My father in law used to teach these types how to work, and get work in commercial kitchens and restaurants. It was a retirement job for him after having served a lot of heads of state, and the like, for many years, and he enjoyed teaching. Of course, the students' response was invariably: "Chef, why should I go to work? I'll just lose my dental benefits and taxi services for my kids" He still gets upset when he thinks about it.

Life can be hard, undeniably, but I wouldn't hire any of them (although I have, inadvertently, and paid dearly for it). These losers need to understand that in Western countries, the rich still pay more tax; in other words, working pays off in the end. They are a bit like drug addicts though: the more you help, the less they want it, and the more the want the secure, familiar environment of loserdom. Counselling and intervention???

[Edited on 2/12/08 by RK]

mr henderson

posted on 2/12/08 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

Child benefit should not be payable for 4th and subsequent children. Having kids isnt cheap and if you cant afford to do it right, dont do it at all.

Why the 4th, I wouldn't pay it at all if I was in charge. As you say, having kids is expensive, and should be paid for by the people who want (and can afford) to do it.

Years ago the country was a bit under-populated (or so was the general belief), but it hasn't been that way for a long time, and paying people to make the problem worse is just making the problem worse

John

iank

posted on 2/12/08 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Sad thing is it's totally rational behaviour under the current system where you get the same or less money when on minimum wage than on benefits. Financially speaking they'd be mad to work.

Part of the problem is often only abusive companies will hire them so the few that try to break out of the spiral will end up back on benefits.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Stantman

posted on 2/12/08 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
I build social housing for a living, the finish is good but plain, the rooms are larger than in open market housing and the heating etc is top quality.
To live there you need to have lots of points (given for 'Social Need' when you contact the Council, so if you are hard working in a low paid job you stand bugger all chance. If you breed like a rabbit have a drugs problem and no income (legal), no partner, you get a house.
Then when I do the 12 month defects inspection you would not believe the state of some of the places.

And I haven't even mentioned teh high rise refurbishments I have done 'with the residents in residence'

Kenny Everet had the right idea ' put then in a field and bomb the bas@@@ds'

Still tales to tell the grand children.

dave1888

posted on 2/12/08 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
I dont get it, i was unemployed for 9 months back in 1996 i got a huge redundancy (volantary) payment from BT and was told to go my local jobcentre to register not expecting to get any dole money they gave me £95 per fortnight excellent £18k (redundancy) in the bank and £47.50 a week for booze and fags. The only thing i had to do was go to a job club once a week for an hour to check the papers. Its to easy to get money on the dole.
mr henderson

posted on 2/12/08 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave1888
. Its to easy to get money on the dole.

It isn't now! You have to show a minimum number of jobs applied for each week and keep proof of what efforts you've made, inteviews etc.

That's why these people have to get on invalidity benefit, and need lots of dependants to claim for

locoboy

posted on 2/12/08 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
There are plenty of bludgers round my end here.

My misses works for a construction company and a lot of their work is regeneration work.

The reisdent liason officers for each site woh are there to explain the ins and outs of the ongoing work the the residents often come into contact with members of the 3rd generation of a family that have NEVER worked

Im 32 (33on Thrusday!) and i cant imagine my old man never having worked, let alone my Grandad - its a big fat pisstake.

ATB
Locoboy

Neil P

posted on 2/12/08 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Amuses me when the 3rd generation unemployed refer to the day their giro arrives as 'Pay day'. That is a term that should only be used by people that work for their money.

I don't have an issue with people between jobs, even if it's an extended period. Those that don't want to work are a different matter.

owelly

posted on 2/12/08 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have nothing to add that wouldn't incriminate me should I bump into a low-life, scrounging, shellsuit-wearing, cheap jewellry wearing, fag smoking, lager swilling moron. So I won't.....

But I bet the tw4ts that smashed my car up to get my Satnav hasn't done a 'proper' days work in their life....!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 2/12/08 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I met a guy this week who is excersising his right not too work. Not bad for a 19 year old who has never worked. Having worked with unemployed people for 10 years you hear some stories and yes the benefit system doesnt always encourage or promote a work ethic.

Ive got to say thought that I have come across loads of people who really do want to work but are not given the opportunity, which is as annoying as those who flaunt the system.
The french system appears to be a good system benefits paid for 12 months equivelant to your previous years wage then nothing now thats got to make you think about getting a job.

RK

posted on 2/12/08 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
What people need to realise is that the crap wages we all started out with leaving school, are temporary, if you are a half decent worker. You do get exploited from time to time, but in the end you get experience that nobody can ever take away from you. This way of thinking requires confidence, that again, is earned by some kind of - eventually - meaningful work.

"But Chef, I'll lose my dental benefits and taxi services for my kids..." And so it goes. There are those who are just dumb f###ks unfortunately.

bimbleuk

posted on 3/12/08 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
I have a friend though I'm somewhat loath to call him that sometimes who has not held a job for any amount of time. So I decided to use him to help me make money as I was indirectly paying for his upkeep anyway via taxes! Nothing dodgy just helping to dispose of written off kit via Ebay or local papers to supplement my salary. Anyway after his wife produced their 4th kid I gave in disgust really and haven't bothered to contact him since.

Also recently I helped my brother do up a house over an 8 month period to rent out. First tenants in there now appear to be on benefits and are deliberately with holding rent due to unfinished jobs. Except you can't finish a drive if they won't move their rusty banger and you can't finish the plumbing if you won't allow access to house! They won't be in there much longer and if think they'll walk away owing money cause its easier to just let them walk they'll be very dissapointed!

iank

posted on 3/12/08 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bimbleuk
They won't be in there much longer and if think they'll walk away owing money cause its easier to just let them walk they'll be very dissapointed!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but people like that tend to disappear overnight after smashing the place up.
Plod don't get very interested in finding them as they don't pay fines either.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.