Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Replacement Mercedes front springs - anyone experience with cheap or home-built tools??
maartenromijn

posted on 4/12/08 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Replacement Mercedes front springs - anyone experience with cheap or home-built tools??

Has anyone experience with the replacement of Mercedes front springs? With some googeling I found how it is supposed to be done with the correct tools: Mercedes spring tensioner

Has anyone experience with this kind of tools? Or maybe home made tools?
Cheap solution

I understand that it's very dangerous to do this without the correct tools.

Maarten

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/12/08 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
but those are just simple standard spings

I've used these types of compressors many times and they will work perfectly well on the merc regardless of what NASA tools they recommend you buy

[Edited on 4/12/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeCapon

posted on 4/12/08 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
You can do it with three small ratchet straps. The kind that you use to hold bikes etc on trailers.

Not H+S approved but doable. Just watch yer fingers

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
maartenromijn

posted on 4/12/08 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I've used these types of compressors many times and they will work perfectly well on the merc regardless of what NASA tools they recommend you buy

'they say' the lower 'wishbone' (don't know English word) gets in the way and you need to have a spring tensioner that works from the inside of the spring. (Like I say, I have no experience in these jobbies)

quote:

You can do it with three small ratchet straps. The kind that you use to hold bikes etc on trailers. Not H+S approved but doable.

I heard stories from different people, wihtout any interest of selling, that fot the Merc it's a dangerous job. Springs went through ceilings. When the strap moves, the spring might bend, if you know what I mean. Causing a dangerous situation.

The car weighs 1540 kg . Hence spring rate = huge

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/12/08 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
It’s dead easy and 1500kgs is not all that heavy, you should have tried this on my volvo...

Do it this way -

1 - Disconnect the anti roll bar mounting (pink arrow) probably just as well to do the other side too

2 - Compress spring till it’s loose in the wishbone

3 - Disconnect the lower ball joint (blue arrow) and swing the bottom wishbone down out the way

Assembly is just the reversem, but clean the balljoint cone in petrol and jack the wishbone up against the hub taking the weight of the car before tighting the balljoint nut.

Description
Description

pointless suspension design, they should have used a standard macpherson strut, then they could have used a lighter wishbone and the bushes would last longer

[Edited on 4/12/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

hobbsy

posted on 4/12/08 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
There is nothing inherent to Mercs that makes this job more dangerous on them. Its just they are heavy (ish) cars so have big springs.

If you're not careful compressed car springs can cause horrific injuries if they uncoil when don't intend them to and you're close to them with your face/head for example.

While you could do it with ratchet straps for safety's sake I'd strongly recommend buying or borrowing the proper tools.

They aren't expensive >£15, eg:

http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catref=68615

Or just ebay google for Draper 68615 if that model is suitable for you etc...

maartenromijn

posted on 4/12/08 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I will look into this matter.

quote:

There is nothing inherent to Mercs that makes this job more dangerous on them

I think it not being McPherson, the spring can bend en jump out of the tensioner. With McPherson, that's not possible.

theconrodkid

posted on 4/12/08 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
tried it on a merc 190 once,the springs are a smaller diameter and the bottom pan gets in the way so you cant use normal compressors.
i wouldnt personally take the risk,you can literally loose your face if it goes pearshaped.
either hire the proper tool or get someone with the tool to do it

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

maartenromijn

posted on 4/12/08 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

either hire the proper tool or get someone with the tool to do it

Do you reckon the cheap tool (see link above) will do the trick? Or is this dangerous too? Someone told me the hooks can move and the spring can get pearshaped with this.

theconrodkid

posted on 4/12/08 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
the tool "looks" ok but i would have to have it in my hands to see if i would use it,is it cheap pressed or proper steel?.
do you know of the supplier?
i nearly took my eye out when a clamp slipped and the spring went flying,cut me deep just under my eye and has taught me to handle them with great respect.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

maartenromijn

posted on 4/12/08 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know the supplier and expect the tool to be Chinese rubbish.

Based on your experience as well I will contact local garages if they can help me out.

On the youtube link it seems to be a 5 minutes job...

adithorp

posted on 4/12/08 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
I've been hit in the face by a Mondeo spring. It was only a glancing blow and I was already turning away but trust me, you don't want to get hit by one!
I've also seen a Renault spring fly about 30 years ago. It went twice across the workshop, through a window (taking part of the frame with it) and hit a house across the road.

Without the right tool don't take the risk. It can be done but if it goes wrong it'll hurt...a lot!

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.