Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what parts to turbo a zetec se
pocket rocket

posted on 4/12/08 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
what parts to turbo a zetec se

just out of interest what parts would i need for a turbo conversion on a zetec se???
obviously ill need a small turbo and will need to fiddle with the exhaust to mount it, ill need oil pipes for the turbo and an intercooler/charge cooler and pipework to plum it all in.
after this im lost, no doubt i need a new ecu (help and ideas please) and sensors and i guess an actuator so i can turn down the pressure of the turbo.
has anyone turbo'd a zetec se before???

madteg

posted on 4/12/08 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
If you ever want to look at one i live in Kettering.
Subaru turbo is ideal as you can turn the ports around and gives plenty of boost.

pocket rocket

posted on 4/12/08 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
that would be great - how much did it cost to do? and what parts did you need to get it all working?
matt_claydon

posted on 4/12/08 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec SE (or 'Sigma', 1600cc) is a completely different beast to a Zetec though.

If you're handy with electronics and computers and have plenty of time and enthusiasm to map it yourself you could build a Megasquirt. If not I would suggest a common aftermarket ECU like Emerald so that you have a decent choice of people to take it to for mapping.

[Edited on 4/12/08 by matt_claydon]

meany

posted on 4/12/08 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
thats my plan aswell.
i have got a TD04 and TD05(needs refurb).
but i have actually done sod all at the moment.

i have been advised to keep the oil drain vertical as is in the impreza.

madteg

posted on 4/12/08 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
turbo £85
gaskets £48
intercooler £45
pipes £25
rs turbo manifold £55
oil feed pipe £12
made air box
made exhaust
spacer plate £24
dump valve £75
APR rod bolts
Would strongly recommend rod bolts as i knocked big end out as they are the weakest link. I am now running forged pistons and steel rods because i run 20psi which equals 320 BHP

pocket rocket

posted on 4/12/08 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
oh
forged pistons for the SE are special order only from burtons and they don't give a price...

plan is to run a 'low blow' set up, something like 0.3 bar or there abouts and hope there is no need for pistons.

seems like the most costly part of the whole thing is the ecu and sensors something i have no idea about

I didn't run 20psi on my GT-four...when its on boost your car must go like sh*t off a stick!

[Edited on 4/12/08 by pocket rocket]

madteg

posted on 4/12/08 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
I am shaw if i had changed my rod bolts to ARP ones and not kept turning the boost up. I would still be on the same engine as i had done about 2500 miles in it before i started playing
madteg

posted on 4/12/08 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
On the subaru turbo the turbo flange is a bit of a pig to make so i had some lazer cut you are quite welcome to one.
djtom

posted on 4/12/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
You should be able to run 5-7psi on a standard bottom end without any problems, as long as you retard the ignition suitably and run a fairly effective intercooler. You may even be able to use the standard injectors but they might run a bit near the limit...

I can thoroughly recommend the megasquirt route - it required a HELL of a lot of research and reading, but it's worked brilliantly on my zetec turbo (2l zetec s that is, not 1.6 se).

Good luck, and keep us informed about the project!

Werner Van Loock

posted on 4/12/08 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
erm, zetec SE has a 11:1 compression ratio, not much left to blow at. I'd say to get a decompression plate made up, otherwise it's not worth it.

Also not forget that the SE engines have conrods made out of some weird powdering technique

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pocket rocket

posted on 4/12/08 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
madteg - that would be great, one less thing to worrie about.
If the 1.6 injectors top out the racing puma 1.7 injectors might fit (maybe)
how much will one of these megasquirt units set me back?

Do you think the con rods will let go then?
there is a company that have supercharged the SE to over 200bhp and say its ok can't remember the name but they do the 4age supercharger kit kit... i think it was rotex

pocket rocket

posted on 4/12/08 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
would a powercommander be ok rather that an emerald or megasquirt??? or are they just for bike engines?

mawmaw

posted on 8/12/08 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
turbo

don't do it, an easy 180bhp without a turbo. Anything involving big torque will blow the roda apart, i run them to 8500, they have been shotpened but are pretty marginal, you can get rods cheaply but i cannot run them cos of stupid ill thought out regs (thanks gary).
speak to jon at shawspeed, best phone on a saturday morning!

beaver34

posted on 8/12/08 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mawmaw
don't do it, an easy 180bhp without a turbo. Anything involving big torque will blow the roda apart, i run them to 8500, they have been shotpened but are pretty marginal, you can get rods cheaply but i cannot run them cos of stupid ill thought out regs (thanks gary).
speak to jon at shawspeed, best phone on a saturday morning!

i agree, speak to jon, i also have a 180bhp shawspeed engine

mcerd1

posted on 9/12/08 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pocket rocket
oh
forged pistons for the SE are special order only from burtons and they don't give a price...

yeah, accralite won't deal directly with you for ford stuff you have to get them from Burtons

as a general rule the custom pistons are about 15% - 20% more than stock ones

~£130 each at the moment for stock = ~£150 for custom
x4 = £600

the are nice though

[Edited on 9/12/08 by mcerd1]

terryroberts

posted on 9/12/08 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
hi guys new to this site so be gentle. turboing a zetec se (sigma) very easy wait for about 6 months and fords will sell you all the bits off the self. we are just starting to build this engine in bridgend, 1600cc=120bhp!! so should have abit of leway. to get it to 150-160easy....
mawmaw

posted on 9/12/08 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
turbo

i will be gentle honest, how interesting, go on tell us more, promise we can keep a secret!

go on go on which car what spec etc oh and why so little power when the normally aspirated that ford do produces the same power?

oh and that picture is not of an se rod and piston!!

[Edited on 9/12/08 by mawmaw]

terryroberts

posted on 9/12/08 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
will guys this turbo engine is surprosed to be a low emmission engine..i.e small engine good mpg whack a turbo on and you got a zippy little car.. not sure what model it will be in yet. but i would think focus/fiesta/ka more than likely.... right remember lads you anit heard it form me!!!
mcerd1

posted on 10/12/08 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by terryroberts
not sure what model it will be in yet. but i would think focus/fiesta/ka more than likely....

I read somewhere that it would be in the fiesta (but I guess there is nothing to stop them putting it in the focus too)

but isn't the new KA getting a fiat engine ? (as its basicaly a Panda / 500 isn't it ?)

[Edited on 10/12/08 by mcerd1]

MikeRJ

posted on 10/12/08 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
but isn't the new KA getting a fiat engine ? (as its basicaly a Panda / 500 isn't it ?)

I'm sure I read that Fiat were not giving Ford their engines for the Ka, at least not the new Multiair engine with the hydraulic valve actuation.

pocket rocket

posted on 10/12/08 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Has there been any internal work to the 1600 engine (rods, pistons etc) or is it the same basic engine with a little turbo kit and new ecu bolted on?
roll on 6 months

terryroberts

posted on 10/12/08 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
knowing how we work ie fords. it more than likely a bolt on job. just piston/rods changed. we build volvo si6 engine the only diffence between turbo and n/a is pistons, head gasket and cams basicely..
mawmaw

posted on 10/12/08 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
if the rods are the right length they could be fantastic news as they would be a lot stronger

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.