Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wanted: Peugeot MA Gearbox
andrews_45

posted on 9/12/08 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Wanted: Peugeot MA Gearbox

My pals gearbox has packed up, it is a 1999 306 1.4 Meridian. I said I'd fit it if she could get me a box, she is having trouble. People want silly money for them. Does anybody have one I can buy by any chance? Its a 5 speed MA Box.

Ta

mcerd1

posted on 10/12/08 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
there are a few different ratios around for the 5 speeds - do you know what the code is on the old one ?

When I was looking for a 4 speed one earlier in the year (which it turned out I didn't need ) the 4 speeds where about £50-60 but the 5's where £100-120 !

Peteff

posted on 10/12/08 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Is it replacable with a different one?

According to this the box is cr@p but it is used in several Peugeot, Citroen and small Rovers.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mcerd1

posted on 10/12/08 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
According to this the box is cr@p but it is used in several Peugeot, Citroen and small Rovers.

4 speed's (MA4) are a bit stronger

the best price I got was from a local scrapyard (but I guess edinburgh is a bit far for you)

[Edited on 10/12/08 by mcerd1]

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 10/12/08 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
is that the same box as you gave me
mcerd1

mcerd1

posted on 10/12/08 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
is that the same box as you gave me
mcerd1

the one in the car was the 59k box from SCB @ newbridge - the 'spare' was the original box with 101k on it
I think the ratio's on my old one are:
1st = 3.417
2nd = 1.810
3rd = 1.129
4th = 0.854
with a 4.286 final drive (pug 106 1.0 with a carb) - only the final drive ratio's seem to change on the 4 speeds and my old one is the lowest you can get (good for 0-60 )

some of the codes are here, but not all - if you've got the vin No you can ask your Citroen / Pug dealer what your ratio's are (or maybe in a haynes book)
http://www.suzukituning.com/PSA/MA5%20Gearbox/ma5gearratio.htm

I guess that the 1.4 in the 306 is still a 'TU' engine (TU4?) my old one was a 1992 TU9 so it might fit, I don't think much changed :?

as far as I know the 4 and 5 speeds use the same gear linkage so that shouldn't be an issue

my brother has a 1999 1.0 saxo, its almost identical but has an MA5 with a higher final drive ratio

The most likely difference is the driveshafts - you'd need to check they are the same diameter, splines, seal sizes......... (my old one had 3 stud wheels so some running gear bits can be different)

-Robert

[Edited on 10/12/08 by mcerd1]

andrews_45

posted on 10/12/08 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
cheers chaps, that'll help while I'm looking

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.