Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone just starting now?
paul the 6th

posted on 16/12/08 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone just starting now?

Just wondering if anyone has just started/is starting in the next few weeks. Ive been on about starting for a year, and I've finally bought a welder last week, collecting my flat pack chassis from a guy in nottingham on thursday and looking to make a start over the weekend... There's wrigglypig round the corner from me who's got everything stripped off his donor ready to drop in his chassis when it's done (and it is coming along very nicely)...

There seems to be plenty of people further on with their builds, but who's just starting out now?

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
alistairolsen

posted on 16/12/08 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a chassis,mx5 donor and volvo t5 donor.

Engine is ona trolley ex box

mazda shell needs cut up, subframes are off and need stripped.

Built table is made, need to jig the chassis up and check its true before I invest anymore time in it.

Then on with the build!

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 16/12/08 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Well I am sort of again, I have had to abandon my project twice.

The first because I got relocated to the states and the second when I got relocated back a lot earlier than expected.

All my equipment is arriving on Thursday.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

jobsagooden

posted on 16/12/08 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have to put it off all year:

New House
New Baby
Above 2 = lack of cash.

Got the Garage sorted and empty now and aquiring bits so hoping to start with the time off I've got over xmas

mcerd1

posted on 16/12/08 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
yes and no....

I've had the chassis, pannels, suspension and donor for 3+ years (and I bought mine so I've got no excuses)
but I'm only just starting to make some real progress now (the engine is 2 bits now instead of 100 - so the work on the chassis is next)

[Edited on 16/12/08 by mcerd1]

coozer

posted on 16/12/08 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Read yto start agin but its going to be a popular Jeep with Suzuki 4x4 running gear...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

paul the 6th

posted on 16/12/08 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
I've moved house twice this year (first time relocating to york from west yorkshire) and the second time we actually bought the house...

I've just gotta tidy my garage up and I'll be all set to get started

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
wescottishmatt

posted on 16/12/08 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'm starting end of Jan next year. Going the slightly easier route than building from scratch.I've got a MAC#1 Worx kit on order and its having a ZX10R engine in it.

It looks like I'd best get the paint roller out over Christmas and finish the decorating. Thats the deal with the 'other half'. I've got a feeling that won't be the end of it though.

Good luck to all the new builders out there and hopefully we'll not have to many problems over the coming months / years.

paul the 6th

posted on 16/12/08 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've managed to talk the missus into buying the chassis flatpack for my birthday I must be doing something right

--------

eddie99

posted on 16/12/08 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Im pretty much just starting, got my deluxe kit from GTS, got sierra nearly stripped to a shell, will finish of sierra next weekend, then starting on kit. Put my bushes in the wishbones last night!

Ed

Slater

posted on 16/12/08 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Just started mine last night, see my earlier post!

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

stevec

posted on 16/12/08 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Wish I was just starting again, I loved every minute of it, apart from the night before a November SVA, Which was fine in the end.
Have a great time and take loads of pics.
Steve

paul the 6th

posted on 16/12/08 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Ah yeah, was going to do a seperate post about google picasa web albums...

I spent a while looking at other people's build logs and found alsorts of stuff like flickr or blogspot etc...

You can download picasa 3 free from google, copy all the images from your camera into an album and then right click & upload to your online album... You can even select what size you want the images to be and it resizes them during the upload bit And to think I spent hours resizing all my 8 megapixel images and then uploaded them to my website where I then had to drop them into pages etc... Not very efficient!

--------

Daddylonglegs

posted on 17/12/08 at 04:16 AM Reply With Quote
I've been 'just starting' for some time now!

Originally started back in 2005, then things happened:

Divorce (not because of the build I might add)
Moved house
Moved house again
Re-married (different one!)

Started again in earnest in June this year.

Trouble is I travel all over the globe with work and it doesn't make for a lot of free time, so I do bits whenever I can.

I have about 75% of the chassis built and tacked at the moment and hope to get most fully welded and suspension sorted before I return to work after the XMAS break

Maybe next year I can get a crack on?........then again, maybe next year I will win the Lottery.....maybe

Here's hoping you get on better than me

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

paul the 6th

posted on 17/12/08 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
hat's off mate - sounds like you have had quite a year! (and I thought I'd been a bit mental relocating and moving house twice in one year)

The mdf sheet is loaded on the van, I'm collecting the flatpack chassis from a guy in newark tomorrow and hopefully going to start this weekend

--------

kb58

posted on 17/12/08 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
I just started cutting steel for my mid-engine Locost last week.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
spdpug98

posted on 17/12/08 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
I should be picking my kit up mid Jan', the garage has been cleaned up and painted.

I am hoping to try and crack on with the kit so that I can put it through the SVA and not the IVA but will have to see how much progress we make in the first 4/6 weeks

My Blog: http://spdpug98.wordpress.com/

londonsean69

posted on 17/12/08 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
I have finally settled on a standard(ish) Haynes Roadster.

Unfortunately, I have a leaky garage roof, and whilst I have a pile of fibreglass to sort it out, it's too cold to lay GRP down.

It's not a bad leak, but it does leave the garage a bit damp, and can cause a bit of surface rust on untreated steel.

As such, I'm starting with the smaller bits first, bushing tubes are done, seamless for the wishbones turned up today, have just ordered the wishbone plates and some of the other (thicker) stuff from 3GE.

Picking up a couple of big welding gas bottles tomorrow and can hopefully put me new welder through it's paces this weekend.

Anything I complete can then go into a bin bag with a squirt of anti-rust (3 in 1) until it is needed for assembly/painting etc.

I intend to make as much as possible myself, but there are certain things I really can't be bothered with, like cutting holes in 10mm plate for the rear uprights (ordered tonight from 3ge).

I don't fancy fibreglassing much, so will probably just order the nosecone and wings (maybe in carbon).

I haven't bothered setting a budget, it will cost what it costs, although if I think something is a stupid price I will look around for a better deal.

Weather dependent I want the chassis fully welded for my birthday (end of Feb), this will include all wishbones and uprights, enough to get it to the rolling stage (again, depends on a decent donor coming up)

Should keep me anused over the winter

Sean

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.