Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driveshaft makers?
nitram38

posted on 30/12/08 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Driveshaft makers?

I am getting close to having the driveshafts made for the MotaLeira.
They need to have ford splines one end and Rover the other.
I have both brand new cv's etc so I need someone who will make them as one piece. Depending on cost, I will probably have them drilled through.
Any recommendations/experiences ?

[Edited on 30/12/2008 by nitram38]

cloudy

posted on 30/12/08 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I was just looking into this today too - it's getting a little scary how our builds are progressing together - It's like when women's period's sync!

When I last looked GB engineering was suggested often - but I think I was looking at £200+ for a pair of hollow shafts, I'm sure smeone will offer some up to date advice... Mine are only temporary cut and shut originals...

James

www.warnercars.com

nitram38

posted on 30/12/08 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Cloudy, looks like we will be ready soon!
I have heard about GB but I have a vague recollection that they don't have the tooling for rover splines.
I remember getting a leaflet from a company at the excel motorsport show 2 years ago who do them but can I find it? !

[Edited on 30/12/2008 by nitram38]

lsdweb

posted on 30/12/08 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Martin - a bit of a distance from you but you could always try Andrew at Bar Props in Neath - 01639 646922. Did my single seater ones and will do the prop and shafts for my Westfield.

Regards

Wyn

[Edited on 30/12/08 by lsdweb]

blue2cv

posted on 30/12/08 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
I used Berrisford for mine (Ford splines though)
cloudy

posted on 31/12/08 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
Here's a reminder of who that leaflet was from

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=60734

nitram38

posted on 31/12/08 at 05:41 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that Cloudy!
Shows that I am losing it!

MikeR

posted on 31/12/08 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
GB Engineering had stopped doing the 'cheap' drive shafts when i spoke to them in the summer. Basically lack of demand meant it wasn't worth while him doing them.
Bob C

posted on 31/12/08 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
I got some made through MK, & ended up with good quality product now on my car. I posted them bits of my CV joints so they could get the spline right (mx5 spline). Cost me £60 each but that was a while ago.
I was very pleased because, as you can imagine, there are millions of ways to get them wrong.......

nitram38

posted on 31/12/08 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Mk engineering or MK cars?

Bob C

posted on 31/12/08 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
good question, can't remember
I think it was the older guy I spoke to & he put me onto an even older local engineer who did the job - I think he's a retired engineer who makes them for pocket money, Tony something, I think he was called.
Not veryt good information I'm afraid - bset of luck!

nitram38

posted on 8/1/09 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Hopefully I can find someone cheaper than Track & Rally!
Here is the email I recieved today:

Morning Martin
Happy New Year
We are only able to produce shafts that have a spline that has a pressure angle of either 37½° or 45°. We may be able to find a mating part from our stock but would require the shafts to confirm or the flange to flange measurement and the bump and rise differential and the mating parts. We would need approx 3 weeks to manufacture a drawing, purchase S155 material, manufacture and heat treat
The cost would be a one off charge of £65.00 to make a drawing and depending on length (approx 450mm) we would charge approx £195.00 each shaft based on a 2 off. Obviously a 4 off is cheaper (£170 approx)
Any technical questions please contact Bob Hills on 0845 5555 111 (Works manager) who will offer more information
Regards
Ted Barchard

Its the "Happy New Year" bit that cracks me up before scaring the crap out of me!

JEPY

posted on 11/1/09 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Is it worth investigating these guys?

http://www.westgarage.co.uk/forsale/kits/kits/shafts.html

nitram38

posted on 14/1/09 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Just sent off my cv/lobro and a rover drive shaft end spline to Geoff Berrisford (GB engineering).
No longer a "cheap" option but from talking to geoff, he sounds the most knowledgeable.
Just got to wait and hear what the total cost will be, then it is a 4 week wait.

stevebubs

posted on 16/1/09 at 12:57 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.gknservice.co.uk/gkn-ids-uk/jsp_en/product/cvj.jsp

was the first link google threw up for bespoke driveshafts

[Edited on 16/1/09 by stevebubs]

NS Dev

posted on 16/1/09 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Just sent off my cv/lobro and a rover drive shaft end spline to Geoff Berrisford (GB engineering).
No longer a "cheap" option but from talking to geoff, he sounds the most knowledgeable.
Just got to wait and hear what the total cost will be, then it is a 4 week wait.

You are in safe hands with Geoff. He is EXTREMELY knowledgeable, just doesn't do the flash promotion that a lot of others do.

He is an automotive prototyping engineer by trade so quite at home with this sort of job, which (as I guess you know doing your sort of build) is not that simple to do properly.

You then have the benefit of knowing that the result will be pretty much indestructible.

If you saw the live action at NEC, pretty much all the autograss cars on the show will have his shafts on them and you can see what grip they generate!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.