Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mistrale nose
JC

posted on 1/1/09 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Mistrale nose

Happy New Year to you all! Just canvassing opinions! I tacked together the nose of the Mistrale today. Should I continue the bodywork rearwards along the top rail, as per my avatar, or should I just fit a nose, as here? The area between the nose and 'cockpit' will be panelled with flat aluminium with motorbike screens, as shown here. If I fit just a nose, the shape may be modified slightly - you might just be able to see the felt tip lines on the left of the nose on view. The final option is go completely different, as shown on the last picture (RCR roadster?)? The reason for all of this is to minimise the amount of 'glassing to be done. Thanks!
front on
front on

three quarter
three quarter

side
side

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Howlor

posted on 1/1/09 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
It's looking good. I personally prefer the last pic, something a bit different.

Steve

Hugh Paterson

posted on 1/1/09 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yon orange nose looks cool wouldnt be to difficult to knock out a quick buck in mdf to get that shape?? Can talk u through the process if u want?
Shug

stuleah

posted on 2/1/09 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
personally i like a your avatar pic. the last one looks like a lot of other ie mev rocket/atom etc.
nothing wrong with them if you go that way but yours looks more unique.

FUORISERIE

posted on 7/1/09 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
JC I prefer your nose........but you could always experiment with a different design.

Cheers
Italo

JC

posted on 15/1/09 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all, have decided to stick to my original design........probably!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cheapracer
Builder

Posts 156
Registered 29/11/08

Photo Archive Go!
Building: The Worlds next big thing of course!

posted on 26/1/09 at 05:14 AM Reply With Quote
Your avatar looks coolest, can you run your main side braces forward and down instead?

It's coming....

kb58

posted on 26/1/09 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuleah
personally i like a your avatar pic. the last one looks like a lot of other ie mev rocket/atom etc.
nothing wrong with them if you go that way but yours looks more unique.

Agreed - do your own thing. At one point the Atom was "it" but with all the me-too copies they've lost the novelty.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

seansverige

posted on 29/4/09 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Don't recognise chassis in third pic - what is it?

thanks

JC

posted on 29/4/09 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Sean,

If you mean the bottom pic, it is the Superlite RCR Roadster (from the US) -an alternate version of bodywork that they trialled. Tho other pics are all my own work.........

seansverige

posted on 30/4/09 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
thanks ..... and exactly as you stated in the original post - D'Oh! note to self: read text as well as looking at pics

As regards your question, yes I think you should continue as per avatar (are there any larger images to look at?) If you're not sure why not quickly mock up the bodywork with scored, bent card or thin polyprope sheet? If you posted some pics I think the reaction would be positive. I think the finished panel will look like an extension of the structure - adding interest, and a similar panel at the sill level could also work.

If you stick with it I think you'll end up with something more interesting than just another addition to the growing exo (a misnomer surely?) herd.

JC

posted on 30/4/09 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your comments and encouragement! It's more the process of making the bodywork that is daunting at the moment! However, with the glacial progress I am making, that stage is still a way off. (Went to attach the seat belt mounts yesterday and ran out of gas half way!!! )
cheapracer
Builder

Posts 156
Registered 29/11/08

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 1/5/09 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
as with other posters JC, I like the look of the avatar model, do you have a larger shot of it please?

It's coming....

seansverige

posted on 1/5/09 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Some similarities with BMW Just 4/2

and the Burton Elementz?

seansverige

posted on 1/5/09 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
D'Oh - pictures not displayed, but they're in my photo archive
iank

posted on 1/5/09 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
BMW
BMW Just 4/2 concept
BMW Just 4/2 concept

Burton
[img][/img]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

JC

posted on 1/5/09 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
OK, I confess!! I didn't hear about the BMW 4/2 until a while after the model was used, however, I used the wheels from that photo to enhance the model shot!
Never seen the Burton though - what's the story behind it?

Here is a larger pic of the avatar:

Description
Description

[Edited on 1/5/09 by JC]

seansverige

posted on 1/5/09 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
JC: I really really wasn't having a go - honest!! There are clear differences even in the avatar. (BTW - nice use of bike screen on the real thing)

Anyway, I personally believe drawing inspiration from a concept which has no realistic chance of production is not only legitimate but commendable: does the world really need another Atom clone?

The Burton elementz is just a student concept as far as I know, Dutch I think. As much as I love 2CVs not sure about using them as a donor in the 21st century, and I know from bitter experience how awkward those inboard front discs are to work on

Still think you should at least mock up bodywork (you can get card from any art shop) before you make a decision

@ iank: read posts about attaching images, did the IMG /IMG tags, what am I missing?

cheapracer
Builder

Posts 156
Registered 29/11/08

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 2/5/09 at 03:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by seansverige

does the world really need another Atom clone?
?

YES IT DOES!!!!! lmao!

It's coming....

JC

posted on 2/5/09 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
No offence taken! I guess that the world needs another Atom clone in the same way that it needs another 7/Cobra clone, but the beauty of the kit car/self build world is that although the results might look similar, each one will be done in a slightly different way!

I used card a while ago, not from an art shop though!

rear
rear

cheapracer
Builder

Posts 156
Registered 29/11/08

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 2/5/09 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC
I guess that the world needs another Atom clone........

Did I miss a couple of manufacturers? I know of the SLR, the Rocket, the VStorm and the Deronda for actual sale.

4 cars, 2 in the US and 2 in the UK that are all substantially different in looks, specification and price.

Is that whats considered a full field to you Guys?

It's coming....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.