Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Considering a new Kitchen 50% at B&Q / Wickes any good?
hobbsy

posted on 4/1/09 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Considering a new Kitchen 50% at B&Q / Wickes any good?

Apologies for being non-car related but hopefully the right forum section for this.

B&Q have 50% off kitchen for the next few days and Wickes have the same (runs for longer IIRC).

Anyway I know there are a lot of experiences people on here in lots of different areas so are these deals actually worth having or are their better deals to be had.

I've never fitted a kitchen before but have done a bathroom with tiling and a cloakroom and plenty of flat pack furniture, not that much more to it other than the worktop joints which I may get help with (as I don't have a router or the jig). So I'm thinking of fitting it myself basically unless I can get the fitting done cheaply.

A mate said that if you get a kitchen fitter they get 70% off at Magnets and so if I cough up the grand or so for them to fit it they will pass on the savings?

Any others thoughts / ideas / tips appreciated.

Still at the planning stage (using visio) but if I want the 50% off at B&Q I need to get my finger out (ends on the 8th).

pewe

posted on 5/1/09 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC Magnet were iffy years ago - don't know about now but it strikes me that they will want money up front and in the current economic climate your deposit could disappear overnight!
I think either B&Q or Wickes would be a safer bet.
As for fitting it yourself, having done a coupole, it's not that difficult. You probably need to have a sparks do the electrics so they can give you a certificate for insurance.
Regarding joins and sink fitting etc. routers are cheap and if you mess up on the top you can always buy another given the amount you should save on diy.
HTHG.
Cheers, Pewe

ibakes

posted on 5/1/09 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Also have a look at the Ikea Kitchens, ours ended up cheaper than the July sale price for Wickes & B&Q last year, also cheaper than Howdens budget range at trade price. 18mm carcase etc
DarrenW

posted on 5/1/09 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
At that price point most of the kitchens are much the same. Ive managed to get prices comparable to the DIY sheds when they have big sales on from Howdens, except all of theirs are rigid carcass. You need to find someone with a trade account to buy from there though. Its worth calling into one of their trade counters as my local has a few on display, will happily give you a catalogue just wont give you prices. There may however be a selection of business cards on the counter for local people you can call.

eznfrank

posted on 7/1/09 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ibakes
Also have a look at the Ikea Kitchens, ours ended up cheaper than the July sale price for Wickes & B&Q last year, also cheaper than Howdens budget range at trade price. 18mm carcase etc

Another vote for Ikea. I've renovated three houses and always bought the kitchen there. Cheap, decent enough quality and usually in stock to take away immediately. As above I think i'd be wary of letting those sort of companies hang on to my brass while things are on order in the current climate.

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/1/09 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
B&Q are masters at delivering the wrong stuff, I've been using Homebase instead for the houses. Used Magnet years ago, utterly useless, late and damage units

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 7/1/09 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I get mine from Howdens on my trade account mainly cos price is decent, everything is in stock, i like the staff at my local depot and its all rigid carcass so easy to build up.

I have however bought from MFI when the had a 50% plus further 10% special wekend and then negotiated a further 15% off that price.

No harm in getting design done, then haggle hard. Also shop about for accessories andappliances. Im convinced several outlets make bigger margin on these things to allow them to discount the main units, but that doesnt mean you have to buy them with the kitchen.

DarrenW

posted on 7/1/09 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ibakes

How did you get Howdens quote? Do you have account or did someone with account get it for you. If you factor in what the flat packs would cost to make up (and i believe the rigid caracasses are a bit better quality after comparing a few kitchens) then they represent good value.

The big problem in cmparing all prices is that they arent really comparable due to subtle differences, then its down to personal preference and service levels. Ive found Howdens to be fantastic at their service and if you order too much - take it back. If you break something, colect another from stock. Only downer is they are trade only so you need to know someone with account.

JoelP

posted on 7/1/09 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
the cheapest kitchens dont have colour matched carcases. Best ones i found with matching carcases was from:

http://www.diy-kitchens.com/

18mm, solid backs, glued and dowelled etc. Cheapest ive found anyway, if you find cheaper, let me know! B&Q are hardboard backs. Ikea have no service gap behind the back panel.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.