Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ML7 Lathe Parts.
davy

posted on 5/1/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
ML7 Lathe Parts.

I have a ML7 lathe and has been told that you can get a roller bearing head conversion. Does anyone know about this conversion or where I could locate one. It replaces the white metal bearings and I believe a new shaft is also needed. Its the bearings that hold the chuck on. Hope this makes senseDavid
David Jenkins

posted on 5/1/09 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
The best suggestion I can make is to ask Myford themselves! I went to a talk given by their sales manager - the difference between the original headstock and the later one was immense - I doubt if you could convert between the two. However, they may have an 'upgrade' for the original type.

mark chandler

posted on 5/1/09 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Have you asked about getting the bearings re-metalled? you get a better finish with these assuming that the bed is in good condition.

Regards Mark

rusty nuts

posted on 6/1/09 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
RDG Tools may be able to help? Check them out on ebay
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 6/1/09 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
myford parts link

Popular Spare Parts For ML7 Lathes

History

The ML7 lathe was launched in August 1946, the basic bench lathe retailing at £34.00. The ML7 was so successful that it saw the immediate demise of its predecessors the ML2 and ML4. The Myford ‘M’ type, a Myford version of the Drummond ‘M’ type, cost £42.00 and production of this was discontinued in 1949. Over its 33 years production run, the ML7 stood the test of time remarkably well. Whilst there were numerous minor changes, the number of major design changes were very few and these are listed below.

In July, 1969, commencing with serial No K90494, a cast lug was incorporated into the headstock. The lug is situated just behind the spindle nose and its initial purpose was to act as an anchor point for the optional lever operated collet attachment. In later years the same point would be used as a pivot point for the chuck guard.

In May, 1972, from serial No K107657, the existing carriage was converted from the narrow guide to the wide guide principle. On the earlier machines the saddle located across the front two shears and on later models across the full width of the bed, the 5/8” diameter leadscrew and die cast apron were retained.

From serial No K108718, the cross slides were fitted with 5mm pitch self locking adjusting screws.

April, 1973, saw the introduction of the new bed from serial No K111727. The re-design was necessary to accommodate the power cross feed apron on the Super 7 lathe. At the same time the specification of the ML7 was upgraded to incorporate the ¾” diameter leadscrew and cast iron apron as used on the pre-power cross feed Super 7’s

The last machine, serial No K140848, left the fitting lines on the 31st January 1979.

It should be noted that long bed ML7 lathes were always fitted with ¾” diameter leadscrews and the saddles, cross slides and top slides were the same as used on the pre-power cross feed Super 7 lathes.

Please Note: When ordering, kindly state the serial number and prefix letter of your lathe. On earlier machines up to serial No K111727 this will be found on the rear shear of the lathe bed, at the tailstock end of the machine. On later machines after serial No K111727, this will be found on the front of the lathe bed, to the left-hand side of the rack.

[Edited on 6-1-09 by mangogrooveworkshop]

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 6/1/09 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Part Number Description Price Excl. VAT Price Incl. VAT
65174 Sight feed lubricator £9.99 £11.49
11261 Fibre washer £0.13 £0.15
70/1230 Spindle (original specification) - no longer available
70/1205 Spindle bearing - front - white metal - no longer available
70/1206 Spindle bearing - rear - white metal - no longer available
70/1203 Laminated shim - front bearing £3.41 £3.92
70/1204 Laminated shim - rear bearing £3.41 £3.92
Note: We are no longer able to purchase further supplies of the original white metal bearings at sensible prices. This has necessitated the supply of the kit detailed below as a direct replacement and in terms of cost it is approximately half the price of what a new set of bearings would be.
ML7 Headstock Spindle and Bearing Kit:
A8122 Hardened spindle £185.90 £213.79
A8120 Spindle bearing - front - bronze, complete with shims
A8121 Spindle bearing - rear - bronze, complete with shims
Price for Headstock Spindle with Bearings complete £283.47 £325.99

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 6/1/09 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
sorry for delaying the answer......I had to dig it out of the archive

David Jenkins

posted on 6/1/09 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds expensive - but in machinery terms it ain't!

I need a new gear for my Colchester Student - a 6" long tube with a gear at each end (the old one's badly worn and noisy). Talked to the local lathe repair/salvage place, who could only find a new one for me - the last one in Colchester's stores (!) - and asked if I wanted it. Mine for around £380 + VAT... for the number of times I use that lathe, I'll put up with the noise!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.