Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA and Fuel tank location
l0rd

posted on 6/1/09 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
IVA and Fuel tank location

On the draft copy of IVA that i have it says

Fuel tanks must be positioned so as not to be vulnerable to damage from protruding parts or sharp edges in the event of a front or rear impact.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Also, i read that the exhaust must be non contactable due to the risk of serious burns.

I also read that a member has the exhausts inside the car but i couldn't find any pictures of the pipe routing.

clutch_kick

posted on 6/1/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
On the draft copy of IVA that i have it says

Fuel tanks must be positioned so as not to be vulnerable to damage from protruding parts or sharp edges in the event of a front or rear impact.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Also, i read that the exhaust must be non contactable due to the risk of serious burns.

I also read that a member has the exhausts inside the car but i couldn't find any pictures of the pipe routing.

They have already starting applying those rules in Malta for SVA.

Tank protection = mount a stepney tire at the back.

Exhaust = heat wrap seems to please them.

mccsp

posted on 6/1/09 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I spoke to a guy from Luego today. He was under the impression that the recent change to the exhaust requirements in the IVA documentation has now been removed.
MK chippy

posted on 6/1/09 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mccsp
I spoke to a guy from Luego today. He was under the impression that the recent change to the exhaust requirements in the IVA documentation has now been removed.

PHEW!!!

l0rd

posted on 7/1/09 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
I have been thinking about the fuel tank being over the diff but i was unsure about the centre of gravity and road handling if this was to happen,

Instead of wraping the exhaust, is the metal protector all right? If finally IVA says to be covered?

AdamR

posted on 7/1/09 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
I have been thinking about the fuel tank being over the diff but i was unsure about the centre of gravity and road handling if this was to happen,

Mine is only about 100mm higher, or half the height of the tank, so I don't think the higher centre of gravity will be much of an issue. There is also some benefit as the weight is right over the rear wheels, as opposed to further back - so no "pendulum effect".

PS. I accidentally duplicated my orginal reply above, and deleting one has deleted the lot. So here's the pics I posted, in case anyone is interested:

fuel tank in situ
fuel tank in situ

completed tank
completed tank

[Edited on 7/1/09 by AdamR]

bigrich

posted on 7/1/09 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
I have my exhaust inside the vehicle, manifold inside the engine bay and the system down the tunnel, around the diff and into a link pipe for the 2 R1 silencers out of the back panel. Rescued attachment exhausts.jpg
Rescued attachment exhausts.jpg

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

bigrich

posted on 7/1/09 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
and with the rear panel on

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

Daddylonglegs

posted on 7/1/09 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigrich
I have my exhaust inside the vehicle, manifold inside the engine bay and the system down the tunnel, around the diff and into a link pipe for the 2 R1 silencers out of the back panel.

Bet that keeps U nice and warm in the cooler months

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

l0rd

posted on 7/1/09 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
bigrich Do you have any more pictures of the build?

I am curious on:
The exhaust inside the tunnel
The fuel tank location on your car
The brake and fuel lines

Some things that i worry about:
Heat from the exhaust affecting the pipes
Fuel tank position next to exhaust silencer.

stevebubs

posted on 7/1/09 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigrich
and with the rear panel on

Just a word of warning - the original Fury Menace had a rear exit exhaust like this.

When it went off-track, the bodywork touched the exhaust outlet and ignited....

DIY Si

posted on 7/1/09 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
The exhaust bit has apparently been removed, but the draft IVA document hasn't been updated yet as there are a few other areas that folk have asked for clarification on.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

peteday_uk@btinternet.com

posted on 7/1/09 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
The exhaust bit has apparently been removed, but the draft IVA document hasn't been updated yet as there are a few other areas that folk have asked for clarification on.

Sorry to ask, and i don't doubt what say, but how do you know this has been removed if it hasn't been updated in their web site yet.

Pete

DIY Si

posted on 8/1/09 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
There was a discussion about it PH, one of the people knows one of the bloke raising the objections. Ok, maybe not know it's been done, but about as close as you can get on the interweb.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

peteday_uk@btinternet.com

posted on 8/1/09 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
There was a discussion about it PH, one of the people knows one of the bloke raising the objections. Ok, maybe not know it's been done, but about as close as you can get on the interweb.

Ok cool, just wondered as I have tried and tried to find up to date info but unable. Thought I wasn't looking in the right places. Unfortunately there is no way my MK will be ready to pass an SVA, trying to make decisions on what to buy and how to build is difficult through fear of making the wrong choices.

Guess everyone else is in the same boat.

Pete.

A1

posted on 11/1/09 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
could you not just put a sheet along the back behine the fuel tank, welded to the chassis?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.