Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insuring a Porvisiaonal Driver
mad4x4

posted on 9/1/09 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Insuring a Porvisiaonal Driver

I'm trying to get my G/F's Son insured on my policy as a named driver

So far I have been quote 200 pounds for myself and G/F but add here son as a provisional learner and it jumps to £1800 Plus, Even though he will only drive under my supervision

HOW CAN FOLK afford to learn to drive.........

All of this above is on a 1.5D Saxo (2001) worth £800.

This is a "banger" I bought to allow me to run to my work cheaply so I have no NO CLAIMS on this and i'm sure as hell not going to let him Drive My TD5 Landrover.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

eznfrank

posted on 9/1/09 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
The insurers systems are set up to recognise "fronted" policies - ie. policies where a parent all of a sudden decides they need a 2nd car that their son/daughter is also going to be insured on. The insurers know full well that people do that to avoid premiums so when the applicant fits certain criteria they will load the premium and usually charge just the same as if the policy were in the sons name.

Unfortunately in your case your circumstances happen to fit the criteria, even if that's not what's actually happening.

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/1/09 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
have you tried those price comparitve sites yet?

might be better just getting him to buy a 1ltr micra for a couple of hundred for the first year, even if it looks rubbish it gets him on the road. Or just paying for lessons instead...

[Edited on 9/1/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 9/1/09 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
I'm going back a few years but CIS used to do a "TPF&T any driver policy" that didn't have an age limit.

It was way cheaper than a young named driver.

Worth a phone call.

Paul G

Stuart_B

posted on 9/1/09 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
sounds about right for a 17 year old boy, i am fully comp on my mums and dad poilcy on a 1.1 saxo, and that is £1200 a year.

i am with tesco vaule, only online but it is the cheapest i found when car insurance for me.

give it ago it might save some money, but as well most companys put up the price of insurance once they have passesd they test, because some companys do this but tesco dont. that is why i went with them.

hope this helps

stuart

Duncan_P

posted on 9/1/09 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
This may sound odd, but when sorting similar out for the GF it worked out cheaper for her (the provisional driver) to be the policy holder then adding any extra drivers as named drivers on her policy.

Odd but thats insurance for you.

[Edited on 9/1/09 by Duncan_P]

need4speed

posted on 9/1/09 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Had the same problem with my lad last April found a policy in his name was cheapest with Quinn direct £900 for a 1.25 Fiesta (97) TPF&T, but once he had passed his test they wanted the same again as he was no longer accompanied.
cd.thomson

posted on 9/1/09 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
When i got my first car (1.4 fiesta tdci, 04 plate) last year it cost me £950 to insure. Thats after 3 years of driving on my mums policy without incident. This year its £850, thats with 1 years of no claims and a supposed "price break" after I turned 21 in May.

I was insured on my parents primary car (diesel focus) as a named driver when provisional with full no claims discount applied and that was around £900. When I passed my test this rose to £1200. .

I commute to work so have a 10000 mile policy, fully comp. Note that for young drivers fully comp is often cheaper these days. The earlier comment about TPF&F any driver policies will no longer be viable. These have been withdrawn to avoid insurance fraud in much the same way as many of you may have fully comp policies that allow you to drive other cars tpf&f whereas I am only insured to drive my fiesta.

[Edited on 9/1/09 by cd.thomson]

Craig

Humbug

posted on 9/1/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
You will still have the problem once he passes his test, but a colleague put me onto Young Marmalade where the provisional driver has his/her own insurance while driving your car under supervision.

£82.50 for the first 28 days then £62.50 for each subsequent 28 days. I make that £832.50 for 52 weeks, but hopefully it wouldn't be for the whole year and it's definitely less than the additional £1600 you have been quoted. May be worth a look, anyway

Cheers,

Simon

[Edited on 09.01.2009 by Humbug]

phoenix70

posted on 9/1/09 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
You could try and move you NCB onto the saxo, that should bring the price down.
geoff shep

posted on 9/1/09 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Just to say, shop around. When my son was 17/18 I had quotes ranging from a few thousand down to only £500. Cheapest was with NU Direct, which wasn't necessarily the cheapest without him on it.
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 9/1/09 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
The young lads I know paid from 2 grand to 1000 on the first few years of thier policys.....mind you they did wreck a few cars between the three of them.
Silly things like putting cars in fields and such like on small farm roads

carpmart

posted on 9/1/09 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance companies basically have you any which way you approach this one!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 9/1/09 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
I just paid 1800 for insurance for my 17 year old son on a '92 Mini Sprite 1300. Interestingly the premium was much higher if my wife or I wasn't also on the insurance as an additional driver!

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

cd.thomson

posted on 9/1/09 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Funny thing is that I've got a quote for my XE powered Rush.

And its £250 cheaper than my Fiesta

Craig

JoelP

posted on 9/1/09 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
i got my wife insured as named driver on a 3L pug 406 when she was provisional, only cost about £600 all in. Mind you, she was 26!

Have you tried tesco and the likes? They have been cheapest in the past for me, though im with Esure now.

[Edited on 9/1/09 by JoelP]

02GF74

posted on 9/1/09 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4

All of this above is on a 1.5D Saxo (2001) worth £800.

That is irrelevant. A £ 800 bangear can cause just as much damage to a £ 100 K porsche as can £ 50 K audi a4.

The insurance risk takes into account damage to other vehicles as well as the driven vehicle.

001Ben

posted on 9/1/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
SWMBO brother has recently just passed his test and he wanted a megane 1.6. If the car, insurance etc was in his or his mums name the cheapest was £2000 yet in my name again using no no claims with him as a named driver it was £1000 a year , he is 7 years younger than me.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.