Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Robin hood chassis...
malcolmstoddart

posted on 30/1/04 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Robin hood chassis...

Has anyone seen the chassis design from Robin Hood....

http://www.robinhoodengineering.co.uk/whats%20new.htm

Now I just wanted peoples opinions on this, it doesn't mean I am gonna buy one!!

cheers

Mal...

Jon Ison

posted on 30/1/04 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
no, but i have now, mmmmmmmmmmm they are just down road from me, think i will go n take a spy.

bob

posted on 30/1/04 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
I saw this chassis at exeter last year,i actually thought it was a very early or even a very late april fools gag

It looked dreadfull,i think we dubbed it the cheese grater.LOL

There isnt a weld anywhere as its completely held together with rivets,the finished car had been pinned together with self tappers.

chrisg

posted on 30/1/04 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
The only seven Stevie Wonder can read.

Hideous

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 30/1/04 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
it looks like a tank.

strange business model. Stop selling everything for a year so you can make summat new, then delete the car you launched 'in a blaze of glory' (!) - the subK - just a year before.

Fantastic names. 2b and SubK

wonder what he called his kids?

f^ck and s^ag perhaps?

atb

steve

Mark Allanson

posted on 31/1/04 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Perhaps someone repossessed his CNC pipe bending machine, but left the rivet gun?

It would make sense

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Viper

posted on 31/1/04 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
that's just how F1 tubbs used to be made years ago..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 31/1/04 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Following on from Viper...

Yeah my first thought was...."ah, OK a rivetted ally monocoque...seems OK..."

What am I missing?....is it not what it seems when you see it in person?

Not defending RH here, just trying to be neutral...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 31/1/04 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
lets say imho of course,i have seen their efforts in the past and rather you than me

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

malcolmstoddart

posted on 31/1/04 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
so the general opinion is that you lot don't like it...!!! just thought I would ask..
JoelP

posted on 31/1/04 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
i would, myself, have to know the weight, rigidity and fatigue resistance of the chassis to form an opinion. if it is primarily safe, then strong and light , then i would be impressed. It might look like a cheese grater and come from a company with a not perfect reputaton, but it might be the new sliced bread...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

GO

posted on 31/1/04 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
I like the idea, but as JoelP says, it all comes down to the figures and whther its up to the job!
jonti

posted on 31/1/04 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Speaking as ,I think, the only person in the UK (or anywhere else) who ever purcased their 'Lolocost' I.R.S Chassis back in 2002 ( my God I was so innocent then !!) I would advise extreme caution to anyone who considers this as an option.
My beast is now sorted, but the chassis took a LOT of fettling. The alignment of almost everything was wrong. As they actually state in their blurb, this new design DEPENDS upon accurate machining and I'm afraid, in my experience their record aint good.
Go for an MK or Luego..I wish I had

[Edited on 1/2/04 by jonti]

OFROK

200mph

posted on 31/1/04 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Even the name BOLTEON...whats that all about.

The words Bolt and On with an E in the middle.

why not RIVETEON? or ALUMINIUMEON

Highly imaginative and creative

stephen_gusterson

posted on 31/1/04 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
On the robin hood 2b list I once described the 2b as being like a lego kit compared to a locost - just scre it together.

I was lucky to get out alive.

basically, the 2b appears to be a collection of bits which, if enuf time is spent, can ACTUALLY be assembled, in some form or another, to resemble a car. Again, only with copious fettling

atb

steve

zetec

posted on 31/1/04 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Going slightly off topic...

Has anyone fitted a RH bonnet to their car. I would like to replace my fibreglass one with a ali one with cooling louvres, RH one looked good on the stand.

paulbeyer

posted on 1/2/04 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Bob and I took a good look at this chassis at the Exeter show and it was really nasty. I ran my hand along the inner passenger compartment side rail and nearly sliced my finger off on the jagged edges.
I'm of the same opinion as others in that this could be a good idea for a new chassis design if the figures work out well, but as a product from Robin Hood it was a nasty piece of work. The finished edges were razor sharp and the whole structural strength was reliant on rivets and hundreds of self tapper screws.

I wouldn't want one.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

Alan B

posted on 1/2/04 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
They were really using self tappers in a stuctural application..??????

Wow....I hate them even for minor uses...

bob

posted on 1/2/04 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Alan

Self tappers were holding all the bodywork on,and not even nice looing tappers either.

The whole chassis is folded from sheet ali with tabs cut and bent back to rivet to the next piece,looked very much like certain areas would tear under strain.
It all looked a bit random where the rivets were placed and generaly very untidy,i think it might have even helped more if RH had made more effort in presentation as it was the bad finishing that drew our attention to it.

Mark Allanson

posted on 1/2/04 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
I saw the beast at the Exeter show as well. I may(?) be a good design, but the execution was child like. you could see the penny stamps where a hammer had been used to persuade unwilling ally to form the shape. Very C&N!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

jonti

posted on 1/2/04 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
Basically, the 2b appears to be a collection of bits which, if enuf time is spent, can ACTUALLY be assembled, in some form or another, to resemble a car. Again, only with copious fettling
____________________________-

The 2b chassis actually seems to have a lot of space in between the steel and very little triangulation. The gaps between the rails look enormous.

That's why, cos I'd never heard of MK or Luego, I opted for the Lolocost IRS Chassis option. To be fair, it is at least made out of decent sized tube, the joints are sleeved (I checked) and does have plenty of triangulation in it.

It looked great when I picked it up but when I started work on it and tried to do simple tasks, like make the wheels all point in the correct direction, sort out castor angles etc, I relaised I'd bought a pile of Sh*te.

RHE attitude was "well you bought a chassis not a kit, you're on your own",...Nice !.... I had to cut the fekin front sus mounts off and re-weld em they were so far out !

Lots of work later I have a reasonable motor but for the same price and with lots less work I could have had a better one from somewhere else. Indeed the time I took sorting this one I could have made me own.

Nah...RHE ???? Be very careful !!!!!

I know, I was that soldier !

OFROK

greggors84

posted on 1/2/04 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
I was considering a 2B, but after speaking to someone who told me how he had to re jig his chassis, i looked else where....

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

dblissett

posted on 2/2/04 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
robin hood

it looks like some thing wallace and gromit might of made
i for one will stick to rons chassis
cheers dave

pauldm

posted on 27/3/04 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Google truth.

Is the 'google' search engine trying to tell us something re locost chasis ?

*** I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather,
not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.***

Ian Pearson

posted on 27/3/04 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I've not seen their new chassis, so I can't comment. I've bought several bits from Robin Hood via Lolocst. Always been pleased with the result, but then I've always inspected the stuff first. I bought an Autosparks loom off them, and when I realised that the steering sub loom was missing, I rang to enquire if it was possible to buy one. Needless to say, I experienced their legendary after sales service, which left me raging for a day or two. I vowed I would never buy anything from them again.......................However, I bought a book chassis that was made by them as a one off. Just after I bought the chassis, a few people slated it on the original list, and never having seen another chassis, I thought I'd bought a pile of pigeon poo. Having since seen several chassis from various manufacturers, my chassis is no better, but every bit as good as those mentioned on this list on a daily basis.
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.