Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting fit(ter)
Simon

posted on 15/1/09 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
Getting fit(ter)

Right, Christmas and New Year binging all done, now want to start getting fit.

Me, 42 1/2, have done no exercise for the last 26 years, though work is a bit more physical than sitting in an office, smoked quite a lot until about 16 months ago - still addicted to gum though!

Weight around 16 st, height 5' 11 and a bit.

Was very fit at school, but that was a while ago.

I've bought a bike, have a pool locally and a pair of trainers for running in. The gym thing doesn't appeal.

Any fitness fanatics on here care to suggest a routine for my creaky joints and loose muscles.

Want to be 12 1/2 st by summer!

Cheers

ATB

Simon

MikeR

posted on 15/1/09 at 01:07 AM Reply With Quote
start slowly and build up!
omega0684

posted on 15/1/09 at 01:41 AM Reply With Quote
1) drink at least 3-4 litres of water each day, this will hydrate your body and filter your blood of toxins via making the kidneys work more efficiently.

2) eat the right stuff, porridge in the morning, with tea (no milk, or as little as possible), get rid of all the crap, takeaways etc, fatty foods and high GI products. instead of bread, pasta and potatoes eat wholemeal pancakes! (this will reduce the carbohydrate store in your body and when you exercise you will burn of the fat quicker), you can have them for lunch as well, my dad had wheat pancake roles with fruit. for dinner eat vegetables & lean meats and more pancakes to replace carbohydrates.

3) exercise on a regular basis and alternate between activities, don't try and run or cycle marathons at first build up to it, try power walking first (so you heart is beating face), then jogging, then running. as for cycling do as much as possible, if its feasible cycle to work and back.

i would do that for a month or so and see how you feel, if you feel like you can exercise more than what your have scheduled for yourself then push yourself a little harder each time. my dad was diagnosed diabetic and had to change his whole eating habits, he did the wholemeal pancakes thing and cycled everyday for 30 minutes and he went from 18 to 15 1/2 in 6 months.

one last thing, get plenty of omega 3 in your diet, fish loin is very good or you can buy it in capsules, keeps the brain in good working order and it has a fantastic effect on your general health.

if you stick to that i will garantee that you will loose weight!

hope this helps

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DRC INDY 7

posted on 15/1/09 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Go easy with the water too much can clear all your toxins out and kill you

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

zetec

posted on 15/1/09 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Don't laugh but I nicked my wife's Weight Watchers point calculator. Allowed myself 30 points a day with a few bonus points if I did a bit of exercise (30 mins fast walk for example). It does work as you get used to eating less but still eat enough to exercise. Lost 2 stone in about 8 months. You soon get used to how much to eat a day and can work out points in your head. Also gave up normal bread and had flat breads stuffed with salad and plenty of fruit.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/1/09 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
I eat absolutely masses of food and mostly all the wrong stuff like choco (currently munching my way though some chocolate coated walnuts ...2731kj/100g yeah ha! and that 200g bag will only last till lunch time) and cakes (must have cream in them ), drink about 4 pints of milk a day too. I have a 31 inch waste and am 5ft 5inchs. This pi$$es off missy greatly as she has only to lick a bit of chocolate and she’ll put on weight

How do I get away with this nonsense? cos I'm riding my push bike everywhere (rucksack of shopping on my back), or walking the dogs and keep this up till 2am in the morning working on the cars or house, off to bed then up at 5am to start all over again. Crazy but I'm just burning up all those calories to keep going.

Got to use what you put in.

[Edited on 15/1/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
R1 STRIKER

posted on 15/1/09 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
I know exactly how you feel. I am a taxi driver, so spend all day every day sat in car, eating rubbish from service stations etc. Finally decided enough was enough and i need to do something about it. 6ft and about 15 1/2 stone at moment, just want to lose a couple of stone and generally feel a bit fitter. So the bike has had a full service and the running machine arrived yesterday! Now it's time to stop talking about it and do it!!!
thepest

posted on 15/1/09 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Play Squash, its a fast paced game. You play with 1 partner (coz I dont like team sports). And its fun
Mr Whippy

posted on 15/1/09 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thepest
Play Squash, its a fast paced game. You play with 1 partner (coz I dont like team sports). And its fun

Yikes that’s one way to end up with one almighty a heart attack if your not fit already

I'd say cycling is a bit more body friendly

Humbug

posted on 15/1/09 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Re fitness: I decided a few months ago that I ought to do some exercise, not just to lose some weight (though I could do with it) but to get a bit fitter and healthier. I found the free TA fitness programme - there is a Conditionaing Programme (assuming you are starting from scratch) and then the Main Programme, and you can obviously work up to whatever level you want. The exercises are a mixture of things, so you alternate e.g. jogging, fast/slow running (1 minute fast, 1 minute rest), gym-type exercises (situps, etc.) and walking. It tailed off a bit over Christmas and during the really cold weather, but I do feel better for it.

TA site here

Benzine

posted on 15/1/09 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
I'm 16stone and 6 foot (well last time I checked, probably lower now) and I've been marathon training for a couple of months. I started with 1 mile which completely knackered me at the time! I've very slowly added more miles and I've just done my longest run yesterday which was 8.5 miles, very chuffed! I eat too much bread though, totally addicted. If anyone has any tips of breaking a bread addiction then I'm all ears ^__^

[Edited on 15/1/09 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

vinny1275

posted on 15/1/09 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I found a heart rate monitor helped, so you can set up the zone you want to train your body in (fat loss, cardio, etc) - takes the guesswork out of how hard you can train. It also gives you a measurable idea about your level of fitness - Doing the same distance on your bike more quickly while keeping at about the same heart rate level will show an improvement in fitness....

Oh, and good luck!

Cheers

Vince

mr henderson

posted on 15/1/09 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
!I eat too much bread though, totally addicted. If anyone has any tips of breaking a bread addiction then I'm all ears ^__^

About the only thing that would stop me eating bread would be for me to cut my head off.

I particulary like Warburtons Seeded Batch, couple of slices toasted, home made raspberry jam, no butter for breakfast, then home made fruit loaf for lunch.

At the weekends it's cheese on toast for lunch, Cathedral cheddar is my favourite at the moment.

The way I accommodate my breaqd addiction is to not eat anything else of a similar nature such as potato, pasta, rice etc.

My dessert island machne would be a toaster (assuiming I had a supply of bread, of course)

John

paul the 6th

posted on 15/1/09 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
as everyone above has said about eating healthy and exercising generally helps.

With the "Too much water can kill" have a quick look at this article - you'd have to drink a very large amount in a very small space of time (like 5 litres in a few hours) for the salts in your blood to drop too far and mess up the basic biological exhanges in your cells...

I try to drink atleast 3 litres per day over the whole of the day. So 500ml in the morning when I wake up. Then 500ml at about 11am. Then 500ml with lunch and so on. Usually at the gym (in a 1.5 to 2 hour session, I'll drink about a litre to a litre and a half over the course of the workout).

I do mainly cardio activities - around 10km on the exercise bike (takes 20-25 mins at a moderate pace)... around 3-4km rowing (takes around 8-10 mins) and then 15-20 mins on the treadmill at just below jogging speed... then for the last thousand metres I'll jog it.

If you haven't done any exercise for a while it'll be a case of finding out how far you can push yourself. Then next time try pushing yourself that little bit further - so an extra kilometre or a minute quicker etc... Get yourself an ipod and put your favourite high energy music on there - it really really really helps me if I've got my favourite club tracks or some drum & bass on... I really struggle to get anything done in the gym if my ipod goes flat..

As for food, good strong breakfast such as porridge or scrambled eggs on a slice of brown toast (or brown pancakes as above could be good? ) then at lunchtime I try and have something like a jacket potato with a bit of cheese and pepper or other filling. This usually keeps me going til dinner but a bit of fruit in the afternoon is good. Then for tea I try to get a 3 way mix of protein, veg and carbohydrate... so a grilled cajun chicken breast with 2 potato waffles or a few roast potatoes and veg is fairly balanced.

I know a few people will probably shriek at the "POTATO WAFFLES?!" or "ROAST POTATOES?!" but if I tried going t-total and cut absolutely everything out of my diet, I'll end up sacking it off after about a week and put more weight back on. This way I don't lost interest because I'm eating good food which I actually I like.

Oh and kick the alcohol for a few months - it makes life so much easier! I never realised just how many calories are in a pint of lager or a glass of wine! Around 230kcals in a pint, which is similar to two packets of quavers or a dairy milk... so 6 pints on a night is like 5 chocolate bars and 2 packs of crisps

hope some of this helps and good luck

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
bimbleuk

posted on 15/1/09 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Plenty of advice above but if your not used to regular exercise then start with walking and do some basic stretches first thing in the morning.

One of my colleagues last year suffered a mild heart attack. He's basically turned his life style around in 8 months and lost over 3 stone. He eats healthily but not obsessively and he has taken to walking in quite a big way. Coast walks, fell walking and even marathons but you don't need to go that far!

I do walking, cycling and rowing regularly but I hate jogging! So mostly low impact cardio exercise. You can still enjoy your luxuries but if you offset this with regular exercise you get other benefits to your general health.

Browser

posted on 15/1/09 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
If it's feasible, cycle to work and back as you have to go there every day so you might as well combine two things in one, getting to work and some exercise

Ivan

posted on 15/1/09 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
I lost 20kg in 3 months on a low GI diabetic diet - go to your clinic and ask for suitable diet for a non insulin dependent diabetic. The Low GI foods are great (like Low GI seed loaf bread) and keep you going longer (I never once felt hungry). Plus walk briskly for 1 hour a day. And contrary to popular belief - chocolate and sugar are not particularly high GI so you can have some.

My wife who is slim and still fits in her wedding dress after 34 years swears in a food combining diet - only fruit till 12 pm then never mix Carbs and protein after that, it works for her.

[Edited on 15/1/09 by Ivan]

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/1/09 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon

I've bought a bike, have a pool locally and a pair of trainers for running in. The gym thing doesn't appeal.

/quote]

Certainly if your joints are sore, running or jogging is a bad idea to lose weight. All you’ll succeed in doing is destroying your joints from the constant pounding. If there’s a pool nearby then I’d say take up swimming for a few months first then when the weathers better add the cycling to that. Take things gradually at first, about 10 easy lengths for the first few weeks then just add one extra length each visit. Swimming is a lot of work and I still find it quite tiring despite the amount of cycling I do.

David Jenkins

posted on 15/1/09 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
I'm 6" and my weight's creeping up again - I got to 13.5 stone a year or two back, but couldn't sustain it (I like food too much). Managed to maintain 14 stone for ages, but I've just crept past 15 stone, due to Christmas...

Worst part is, I didn't eat that much extra, and little that was especially fattening or sinful - it was probably the extra alcohol!

My weight will drop steadily if I don't drink booze for a while... must get some willpower...

[Edited on 15/1/09 by David Jenkins]

Peteff

posted on 15/1/09 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
You want Tuberculosis. When I had it I went down to 8 stone It was 20 years ago and I'm nearer 12 stone now. I was always a bit skinny before that 5' 10" and 10 stone. Just walking more and eating less will do your weight good and your health will benefit automatically from that. Buy some brightly coloured Lycra and promise to put lots of pictures up for us and we'll show you support like you never dreamt of.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 15/1/09 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
with water thing, when I had my bone marrow transplant I was hooked up to a mobile fluid pump I carried with me all the time. This was to flush out all of the chemo drugs as quickly as possible.

My point is that when I was having this treatment they told me that excess water can put your heart under a lot of extra strain and actually be harmful increasing your blood pressure.

We did actually throttle back a little on the fluid because my blood pressure was elevated

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

idl1975

posted on 15/1/09 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
I agree wholeheartedly with your strategy of staying the hell away from gyms. It's no good turning it into a 45 minute chore/torture session that you pay someone money for each month. You need interesting stuff, e.g. mountain bike interesting trails, go for a run somewhere pleasant, so you will want to do it!

Well done quitting - at least the gum won't give you lung cancer!

Personally, I'd recommend running as a "basic" activity, as it is very "low overhead". You need a good pair of shoes and appropriate clothing. Change clothes, put on shoes and run! The advice about mixing up activities is a good one though, as it helps balance muscular development and stops you getting bored.

As someone (re-) starting with it, I'd suggest the following.

1) Find a proper running store, not JD Sports. If you haven't done this, your trainers may be completely inappropriate for your needs, e.g. may not even be proper running shoes AND may not give you the support you need for your body type and gait. A proper store will be able to watch you run, assess your feet and recommend a pair of shoes that will make running easier and prevent injury. They don't have to be expensive, just correct! My best pair ever cost me about £15 on clearance.

2) A cheap, basic heart monitor (under £50 easily I would think, and doubles as a watch). Find the appropriate training heart rate range for your age (and size?) and use it to stay within that range. The tendency for "new" runners is to run _far_ too fast. For your basic cardio work, a good principle is if it feels way too slow, it's probably about the right pace!

Heart monitors are a very useful tool and not a gimmick. If you run too fast, you will have trouble running for long enough to burn calories and improve your aerobic endurance. You will also rapidly fatigue your weaker leg muscles, causing your gait to become unsteady, which means knee and ankle injuries. Finally, you don't want to overstress your heart.

3) Increase your run in 5 minute increments. Start with 3 or 4 sessions a week, warming up with 10 or 15 minutes of fast walking, then run for 5 minutes, then 10 warming down. You can start with more than 5 minutes obviously, if you're comfortable and not in any discomfort.

Add 5 minutes of running every session. If you have any joint pain or can't manage the extra, skip a session and go down 5 minutes on the running, then increase it again the following time.

I would absolutely think about heart-friendly foods in general, but would suggest to you the best thing is to focus on burning more calories rather than reducing calorie intake. Fad diets and silly new-age nutritional theories will just make it harder to change your lifestyle, which is the key thing. Start getting lots of exercise regularly and as you get fitter, the calories will take care of themselves.

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Right, Christmas and New Year binging all done, now want to start getting fit.

Me, 42 1/2, have done no exercise for the last 26 years, though work is a bit more physical than sitting in an office, smoked quite a lot until about 16 months ago - still addicted to gum though!

Weight around 16 st, height 5' 11 and a bit.

Was very fit at school, but that was a while ago.

Any fitness fanatics on here care to suggest a routine for my creaky joints and loose muscles.

Want to be 12 1/2 st by summer!

Cheers

ATB

Simon

sprouts-car

posted on 15/1/09 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I do mainly cardio activities - around 10km on the exercise bike (takes 20-25 mins at a moderate pace)... around 3-4km rowing (takes around 8-10 mins) and then 15-20 mins on the treadmill at just below jogging speed... then for the last thousand metres I'll jog it.

That makes a split of 1:15, the world record 2k is only at 1:24.1, you must be bloody good

tendoshingan

posted on 15/1/09 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
I try to train using knowledge of myself and how it works with me. But, I am also a qualified fitness instructor, martial arts teacher and played rugby for many a year.

But, having said that I am also just a normal bloke, and due to various reasons such as injury etc, have yo-yoed consistently for many a year. I am also really lazy and hate doing gyms etc but I do know the importance of them.

I also think that us as humans have a tendancy to store fats over winter as a genetic trait, that's my reason for eating all the mince pies and drinking too much ale!

Anyway, for myself, it usually takes me 6 weeks to get rid of all the excess crap that has gone on in me.

I don't tend to change my diet until after the first few weeks of training, to give the body chance to change.
I start with training light, and build up. I also try and fit in martial arts classes and general walking etc as much as possible but don't count these.

This will be my training plan from next Monday:
Mon morn: swim 16 lengths (25m pool take your time)
Cycle to and from work (5 miles in all)
Mon aft: warm up with 6 mins of rowing, weights, hanging leg raises 3x15, press ups 3x15, chin up 3x as many as I can (usually 2 or 3 when I start), tricep arm extensions 3x10, bicep curl 3x10, squat 3x10, calf raise 3x10.
Tues morn:Cycle to and from work (5 miles in all)
Tues aft: warm up with 6 mins of rowing, run 3 miles (slow pace including walking if I find it difficult)
Wed same as Monday
Thurs same as Tues
Fri same as Mon
Sat same as Tues

It may sound a lot but I superset the weights so that I work out a different muscle during the rest phase between sets. ie I do 1 set of pressup the straight away do opposing muscle like chin up set, then back to pressups until both sets are finished, then I have 90 secs break before I start the next set. This way I can finish an entire workout in 25 mins.

Generally, I will increase the weights/length of run/swim each week but don't set myself unrealistic goals, as I know my body pretty well.

I also know what type of diet works best for me and I have say that, for me, low carb works best. I think different people respond to different diets, you have to find which is best for you. I don't measure my foods, just generally have lots of meat with 2 veg or meat on its own.

Usually by the end of 6 weeks, I will have lost around 1 1/2 stone and be able to run around 10 mile, swim 32 lengths no problem. This may seem a lot but when you start training and stop eating/drinking loads of crap food/beer, the weight soon drops off you.

Just remember to listen to your body. No pain no gain is complete crap, when training there should be some discomfort but not pain.
Hope that helps.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 15/1/09 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
I think the WR for 500 is around 1.15

linky

My wife has done a 7.46 for 2k which we are both really pleased with. Best thing I have ever bought for her was a heart rate monitor and a concept 2 rower when we were in america

quote:
Originally posted by sprouts-car
quote:

That makes a split of 1:15, the world record 2k is only at 1:24.1, you must be bloody good

[Edited on 15/1/09 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.