Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vehicle Inspection Pit
thunderace

posted on 15/1/09 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Vehicle Inspection Pit

Vehicle Inspection Pit
i have been thinking of building a pit in my garage ,i want it big enough to stand in and i only need it to see half the car aroun 8 feet long has anyone built one and has any good advice and pics of how wide how to install lights how do i stop the sides falling in when diging it ect ,i have a concreat floor in my garage.

carpmart

posted on 15/1/09 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
I can't wait to see the answers to this question as I may be interested in doing the same.

Have you considered one of those fiberglass pits I have seen at the shows. The advantage being that you don't have water ingress. If I remember correctly, the disadvantage is the eye watering price!

I look for a link to the one I have seen.

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 15/1/09 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
brae yourselves for responses about posssible planning permission and ventilation and petrol vapour collection and explosions....

[Edited on 15/1/09 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

tul214

posted on 15/1/09 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Take a look at this;

http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=64414;st=0

Page 2 is about the pit.

Wish I had the space for that!

Mark

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/1/09 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
I did one in the last garage. If it hasn’t been raining they are ok to install but it really depends on the soil type and the height of the water table. Mine was pure clay and a piece of cake to dig, the sides did not move at all and it was 5ft deep. I used old doors as the shuttering for pouring the concrete filled in two stages due to the weight of the concrete, it was around 3 inches thick with no rebar added.

I added a small sump to the bottom so any water that came in could be pumped out but fortunately due to the clay being none porous it remained empty.

Be wary though with pits, they can collect fumes or gas like propane due to them gasses being heavier than air. I use to take the cover off and use a pinched office fan blowing down to clear the air before going into it.

Never push the car completely above yourself especially when welding and keep a big fire extinguisher permanently down there. Take a mobile too in case like me you get your finger trapped under a gearbox, get stuck and need to call for help Also fix in a ladder or steps so you can get out quickly when the car goes up in flames

For the new garage I opted not to fit a pit but to instead make a frame to turn the car on its side which is a lot nicer to work on than a pit anyway. I'll post pictures and plans for the frame once its made.

[Edited on 15/1/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andy.autograss

posted on 15/1/09 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
I would try and go for a lift really if at all possible.

We put a pit in my workshop about 20 years ago and the car is always in wrong place. Bet used it 50 times they are useless IMHO.
Get car up and walk around it .
Build soME STANDS OR BUY.
I truck all tools I need and go to my mates lift. You can get them really cheap in garage sales etc.

You will regret it.

They is the fire issue to!
Previous post to a joke at it BUT...........

I was once grinding inside a car and thought it was getting warm. I looked out of the window and the whole pit was a blaze with rubbish, debris and I suppose oil etc which ignited the underside underseal.

Quite scary it was TOTALLY my fault but because I never used it wood shavings etc had gathered over months and made superb tinder.

So while some find humourous there can be an issue here!

There is only one situation where you want to be going down IMHO LOL

thunderace

posted on 15/1/09 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
i know a local guy who burnt to death in a pit around 5 years ago ,so im not sure i want to do it ,i think full ramps will be the way to go.
BenB

posted on 15/1/09 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
http://hamercarlift.com/

might be worth a look at.

Pits are okay if they're long enough to give an escape route out both ends in the case of fire, have a suitable extraction system and have a water extraction system.

By the time you've done all that you may as well have spent the cash on the car lift.... And most garages aren't long enough for an unimpeded escape route at both ends....

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/1/09 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Like you say fire is a big problem with pits. Years ago I came into my folks garage which also had a pit (my dad likes them). My dad was welding up a sill underneath and I noticed that the old alegro seemed very dark inside, like it had black tinted windows, so I opened the passenger door only to see the whole footwell and bottom half of the dash ablaze! I grabbed an extinguisher and put it out then told my dad, btw the car was on fire!!! he never noticed anything including me putting it out. If I hadn't come in I think he'd been burnt alive tbh as to work on the sill the car was covering the whole pit. Not a good idea really.

[Edited on 15/1/09 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 15/1/09 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
By the time you've done all that you may as well have spent the cash on the car lift.... And most garages aren't long enough for an unimpeded escape route at both ends....

How many garages are tall enough to be able to use a lift? Mine isn't tall enough to get a lift in, never mind lifting a car up on one!

Davey D

posted on 15/1/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Ive got a pit in my garage... we used a Steel liner.

tomblyth

posted on 15/1/09 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
see this link
wilkingj

posted on 15/1/09 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I made myself some Megaramps!

They are in 2 sections each so its easy to move and store. They work fairly well, and cost me about £100 for the steel and welding wire etc.

I would still prefer a a two post lift, but even secondhand they are £1000.

Completed 1
Completed 1

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/1/09 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
^^ yeah those are pretty humongous

nick205

posted on 15/1/09 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
I made myself some Megaramps!

They are in 2 sections each so its easy to move and store. They work fairly well, and cost me about £100 for the steel and welding wire etc.

I would still prefer a a two post lift, but even secondhand they are £1000.

Completed 1
Completed 1

They are MEGA, but where on earth do you store them for the 360 days a year you're not using them?

blackie

posted on 15/1/09 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
PLEASE PLEASE tell me you welded some end stops on them

coozer

posted on 15/1/09 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a pit in my garage, it's a well really... the thing stinks and gets about 4" of water in when raining. really not pleasant.

We dug it years ago lining the sides with bricks on a concrete base.

I seem to recall you needing permission off the water board to dig one.

My deeds say I'm not allowed to dig holes because there is a seam of coal 100 feet below I'm not allowed to extract. From my days at the colliery I know this seam is 6 feet thick!

I reckon a lift would be my choice or an open ramp in the garden.

[Edited on 15/1/09 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

rusty nuts

posted on 16/1/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Beware petrol leaks if using a pit, the fumes will knock you out. Guess how I know!Lucky to be here.
DarrenW

posted on 16/1/09 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Lift. Even a grand sounds better than a pit.

Peteff

posted on 16/1/09 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
A neighbour of mine was seriously burned in a garage pit related accident years ago and is seriously disfigured as a result of it. I wouldn't work in one for a ransom.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.