Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: can you run on a track without IVA?
aerosam

posted on 15/1/09 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
can you run on a track without IVA?

is it possible to build a car just for track day use? All the track days I can find require you to have an MOT, and i'm guessing you can't get one without SVA/IVA.

I'm pretty put off by the cost of the IVA, if you fail and have to re-take it, it's gonna cost over a grand!!! I'm thinking of just using my car for track days only, as i'll probably not use it much for general driving, and this would greatly simplify several aspects of the build, not to mention wasting money on road insurance and tax.

There is absolutely no chance of me having it done in 6 weeks so it will definitely be IVA for me. (if required)

Had enough of this dictatorship known as LCB. Gone elsewhere, not coming back. Kiss my ass ChrisW.

tjoh84

posted on 15/1/09 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
why not get it to what you think is ready for iva and get it check before you go for iva im sure mk and others guys offer this service

[Edited on 093131p://4523 by tjoh84]

gingerprince

posted on 15/1/09 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've never been to a track day where they've asked to see an MOT certificate.

All they ask is that the car is "roadworthy", which basically means that nothing will fall off it. There's nothing that states it has to be currently road-legal (or indeed ever have been road legal - people run track-only cars).

So you'll be fine running it as a track only car - just realise that it'll be worth a lot less (and indeed less than the sum of the cost of the parts) if you come to sell it as a track-only car.

aerosam

posted on 15/1/09 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
because for IVA i would need catalytic convertors, full lights, horn, non-adjustable brakes amongst other things.

non-IVA compliance would make it much simpler to build. Safety would remain high priority though.

Had enough of this dictatorship known as LCB. Gone elsewhere, not coming back. Kiss my ass ChrisW.

NigeEss

posted on 15/1/09 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I'm aware you don't need one.

I've done two at Aintree and one at TyCroes both in cars kept purely for track and have no
MOT, tax or road insurance.
And what about all those single seater specials ?

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Big Daz

posted on 15/1/09 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
I did 7 trackdays last year and were never asked for an MOT at any.
Mine is purely a Track car and no plans to SVA / IVA in the near future.
You are right, its much easier to build as a focussed track car but means all testing / setting up must be done on private roads.

[Edited on 18/5/09 by Big Daz]

coozer

posted on 15/1/09 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Theres tons of tintops at track days that are purely for the track, trailered in and no way would they pass an MOT.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

foes

posted on 15/1/09 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aerosam
There is absolutely no chance of me having it done in 6 weeks so it will definitely be IVA for me. (if required)

Haven't we got until april until iva comes in? its just the application that has to be in before the end of february, and then u've got 6 months to pass under the old (sva) rules if you fail the first one...?

speedyxjs

posted on 16/1/09 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by foes
quote:
Originally posted by aerosam

Haven't we got until april until iva comes in? its just the application that has to be in before the end of february, and then u've got 6 months to pass under the old (sva) rules if you fail the first one...?

But the car has to be finished for SVA meaning you cant just turn up with part built to just get a fail.

oldtimer

posted on 16/1/09 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Wht would it be a grand for test and retest? - is there no retest option in the IVA????????????????
procomp

posted on 16/1/09 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Certainly no requirement for MOT SVA /IVA for trackdays. There are more and more cars now being built as purely trackday toys. Mainly due to the hassle of the SVA/IVA and the fact that the track is really the only place you can get the full potential from the car and the fact that it is just a darn sight cheaper to build.

However trackdays are starting to be hit with more and more regulations etc. A few are now wanting MSA approved helmets only. And i have heard from a few sources that some will eventually be asking for MSA spec roll bars / cages fitted. Not to mention the ever increasing noise restriction's being imposed on certain tracks and as time goes on the limit will be brought down in general at the majority of them.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eznfrank

posted on 16/1/09 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
I did a track day at Cadwell Park in Steve from MK's Indy which has not had an SVA as far as I am aware. As above they only asked for driving licences and a quick DB and scrutineering check on the car.
aerosam

posted on 16/1/09 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldtimer
Wht would it be a grand for test and retest? - is there no retest option in the IVA????????????????

Projected cost for IVA is £540

So far I haven't heard anything regarding retest fees - do you not have to pay for a repeat SVA if you fail?

Thanks for all the answers guys. Track day toy it is! (at least, it will be).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.