Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Safety Washers - Which Order
bassett

posted on 25/1/09 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Safety Washers - Which Order

Hi, I cant get on to the manual on my computer so can anyone tell me in which order the safety washers go on. I also have the 2 rod end spacers.
Cheers
Adam

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

stevec

posted on 25/1/09 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
If you mean flat washers and split washers, the split washer goes against the nut.
Steve.

prawnabie

posted on 25/1/09 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
The smaller end of the washer goes nearest the rod end, followed by the spacer.

HTH

Shaun

bassett

posted on 25/1/09 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I have the MNR cortina style uprights with rod ends on both upper and lower wishbones. The two spacers go either side of the rod end and i assume the safety washers go last before the nyloc nut but need confirmation on that really.
Cheers
Adam

gr8ging

posted on 25/1/09 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted mine without the spacer (top wb), and there is not enough thread to fit a safety washer to the bottom wb (outboard) I'm going to try and find a thinner nut so I can fit the safety washer as it scares me to leave it off. My car is not on it's wheels though, so I will have to see if this gives me enough travel without the safety washer touching the rose joints once on the ground. Travel seems limited at the mo and I've tried with and with out the spacers.
that doesn't really answer your question does it!
Hopefully Marc will be along to clear it up.

Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals.... except the weasel.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine!

bassett

posted on 25/1/09 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Is the safety washer on the nut side of the rod end or other side closer to the centre of the upright?

gr8ging

posted on 25/1/09 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Nut side. If it was to 'let go' the WB can not go any where because of the upright, so the washer goes on the nut side to prevent the WB passing the nut and becoming completely free from the upright.
I copied the pic in this thread http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=102471
(page 4 of MNR forum)
Not sure what joint is used on the Inboard, but my lower joint is much thicker and does not leave enough tread to get the safety washer and lock nut on

Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals.... except the weasel.
You couldn't fool your own mother on the foolingest day of your life with an electrified fooling machine!

bassett

posted on 25/1/09 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers gr8ging i know it sounds stupid but i like making sure on these safety things especially as i know ive put it together
Adam

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.