Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone know of any classic cars with modern diesel engines? Cortina?
gazzarose

posted on 25/1/09 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone know of any classic cars with modern diesel engines? Cortina?

Hi guys,

I was watching 'best of top gear' the other night, the one with the amplibious cars. It got me thinking how nice it would be to have something like a herald or similar classic sportscar with a nice modern engine, zetec or similar. After looking on google it seems it has been done a few times, and I came across a mk1 cortina with a turbo zetec in it. Looking at it with simple mods like mini lites and lowered it looked gorgeous, but then I thought about what if it had a TDCi engine in it, so it could be used for the daily commute, but still be quite quick. I'd imagine a 2.2 tdci would be a fair improvement over the standard 1500, and would be great on fuel.

Just a thought.

Gazza

Volvorsport

posted on 25/1/09 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
reliant scimitar with BMW diesel in PPC a few months ago .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

jlparsons

posted on 25/1/09 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
I know what you mean. There are a few good combinations I can think of, particularly the well-used idea of putting a nice new diesel engine in a very nicely restored vw camper. Two thoughts though...

Once you find a really good example, good enough that you'd want to go to all that effort and expense... would you really want to change it? Maybe better to leave it as a classic, leave the 2.2tdci in the mondeo and drive that to work?

The other problem is that old cars are going to rust badly after a while plus there's already a lot of miles worth of wear and tear on it, so when it's out for the daily commute it's not going to last long. Not sure if after going to all that trouble I'd be able to get it out of the garage in the rain!

watsonpj

posted on 25/1/09 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
How about a spyder elan i've considered doing one myself. This takes a zetec and sierra running gear so should make it more reliable and the reports I've seen it returns good mileage too. It ios quicker than the original but reains the handling but is not a cheap conversion.

you could even LPG if you want to make it cheaper to run. Might even be able to put in a modern diesel.

Pete

gazzarose

posted on 25/1/09 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
I see what you mean about the rust and the breaking up of a decent example. But if one found one with a knackered engine, that needed respraying, it would be an ideal time to properly spray and rust proof it, an put in modern running gear from a sierra or capri, if would definatley be a conversation starter. Imagine driving down the motorway doing 60 with some rep in his mondeo up ur ars remembering how slow his dads capri was, then just leave him behind wondering what just happened. And just imagine the reliability and economy. Id imagine a MK1 Cortina with just some seats and a heater, is a damn sight lighter than a fully loaded mondeo. Im just thinking cos I've just bought a house, so a kit car build is definately out of the question for a few yrs, but a nice little project would be ok. Even if its just a 115hp Tdci from the old focus like fitted to the rocket on here, can have them bluefin tuned to 130. Would be nice,lol. Just have to wait til I replaster, rewire and redecorate the house, then the small insignificant detail of convincing the missus its a good idea,lol.

Gazza

speedyxjs

posted on 25/1/09 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Alot of people are now getting into putting modern diesels into old car to compensate for the poor mpg from most classic cars. There are also alot of good diesels around atm.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

mcerd1

posted on 25/1/09 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a scimitar for my next project and I was thinking about a zetec or V6 duratec or maybe even a diesel - and about a week later I got the PPC mag with the BMW engined one (its even the same age as mine)

but then I got the old essex V6 started - it sounds so good there is no way I'm swaping it

[Edited on 25/1/09 by mcerd1]

mark chandler

posted on 25/1/09 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
I ran an Series III XJ12 for around a year , stuck a pontiac 5.7 v8 diesel in it, worked very well.

You swap box and lump up front as its the same GM torqueflight G/box, engine mounts pick up on exhausts and away you go.

Car succumbed to rust in the end

Regards Mark

Simon

posted on 25/1/09 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Rover P6 with Jag V6 (twin turbo) diesel is my idea of a laugh!

V8 P6's had about 160bhp and Jag motor has another 40 or so. And should be good for 45mpg

ATB

Simon

dinosaurjuice

posted on 25/1/09 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
since when did my rocket have a 1.8?

the 1.8's an awful engine.

gazzarose

posted on 25/1/09 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
sorry I (wrongly) assumed it was the tdci from the old focus (which was a 1.8). Whats yours then?Is it out of a newer focus or mondeo? If it is then what was the wiring like trying to make it run with out its original car? When I first started looking at kit cars, it was the rocket I wanted to build, and was trying to decide between an st170 powered one, or a tdci powered one, but then I started looking at locosts and was almost ready to take the plunge and order an Indy kit, but then the missus and I decided to buy a house, so the money suddendly disappeared into a deposit. I just about saved up enough to order a starter kit again, but thats already earmarked for rewiring and redecorating. Got a feeling its gonna be a while til I can afford a toy,lol.
gazzarose

posted on 25/1/09 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
sorry I (wrongly) assumed it was the tdci from the old focus (which was a 1.8). Whats yours then?Is it out of a newer focus or mondeo? If it is then what was the wiring like trying to make it run with out its original car? When I first started looking at kit cars, it was the rocket I wanted to build, and was trying to decide between an st170 powered one, or a tdci powered one, but then I started looking at locosts and was almost ready to take the plunge and order an Indy kit, but then the missus and I decided to buy a house, so the money suddendly disappeared into a deposit. I just about saved up enough to order a starter kit again, but thats already earmarked for rewiring and redecorating. Got a feeling its gonna be a while til I can afford a toy,lol.
dinosaurjuice

posted on 25/1/09 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
mines the 2.0TDCi from new focus. the pre2007 mondeo tdci's engines are fords own units and are crap. The new mondeo and focus (except the 1.8) use the new generation HDi's.
Wiring was an absolute nightmare, took about 6 weeks of research and trial and error and dissapointment before i got it going. The wiring in my view is a 'bodge' and im not happy with it so will re-wire this summer.

I can recommend the VW 1.9 Tdi engines, they are bombproof and if you get the right one (mechanical injection pump) a doddle to wire up.... and tune
going down the LPG route WILL be cheaper...

gazzarose

posted on 27/1/09 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
How bad is the older Tdci engine then. I thought it would quite nicely match a Cortina or something, just cos the wiring should be simpler and it would/should/could fit onto the original Gearbox if needed. Although a sierra diesel gearbox would probably be better. The VAG engines are pretty good and are used in loads of cars (as well as boats) but I just prefer engines to come from the same manufacter as the car. Kinda if Ford made a retro car with a diesel thats what it would be like.lol.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.