Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CAD for electrics?
Gav

posted on 26/1/09 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
CAD for electrics?

I'm fast approaching my SVA application (wahoo) and im finishing off my electrics.
I have a hand drawing of the setup but would like something a bit better to keep as future reference, like what you get at the back of a haynes manual.
I have tried to layout it out in Visio but its more setup for electronics and i dont seem able to change the colour of the wires.
any idea how to do his in Visio or is there a better package for this sort of thing?

Cheers.

[Edited on 26/1/09 by Gav]

MikeCapon

posted on 26/1/09 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
If all you want is a good colour schematic then Paint does pretty good job. The only thing that is not possible or a PITA is tracer colours.

That said it would be interesting to know if there is a real CAD package available for designing looms which could handle wire lengths, parts lists etc.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 26/1/09 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure why you can't change the colour of the wires...

Attach an example visio file and I'll take a look...

[Edited on 26/1/09 by stevebubs]

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 26/1/09 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
use MS office excel 2003 - not MS office 2007

i have a full busa diagram i'm working on and nearly finished and you can do this very easily

the lines can be colour coded and striped in what ever colour you want

use the connector lines

Bob C

posted on 26/1/09 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I've never bothered making a "wiring diagram", they're hard to draw & inconvenient to use.
Instead I give every wire a number; identify each end with that number using little tags that slip over the wire. Now the whole is documented as a list in XL or even a text editor, each wire document number, source destination, wire size & description. Less than 100 wires in my locost....

Gav

posted on 26/1/09 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Just been messing around with Visio, i was looking to change the colour in the wire properties, however all i needed to do was right click on the wire ->Format->Line and change the colour there

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 26/1/09 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
the benefit of a good wiring diagram is to help you understand what is going on in your car.. Clearly.. Simply and exactly.. When modifications are being done you can see easily how to do it.. If there is a problem when out in the car you can trace the problem far easier.. By not keeping a record in years to come you might need to do some work bet your bottom dollar you cant remember whats been done! I tried using visio but found excel far easier to use. I have one main diagram and then each circuit has its own worksheet.. One for fuse info.. One for individual wire colour place reference.. Each plug has its own code.. Each 12v has its own reference.. Each soldered joint has its own reference and a location to where its been soldered..
When doing all this you learn how it works.. How it goes together and takes the worry of breakdown away.. I found some real horrors.. From a factory made car.. Hmmm.. Well worth it. I keep a digital record and a small pocket sized book for roadside reference
HTH

flak monkey

posted on 26/1/09 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
I found this quite good:

http://www.diagramstudio.com/

Its a bit like Viso, but a lot cheaper!

Still working on drawing up my loom, but there we go!

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

bigfoot4616

posted on 26/1/09 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
diagramstudio here as well, using it at the moment

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.