Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Straw poll! How is it looking for people from a job perspective right now?
carpmart

posted on 30/1/09 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Straw poll! How is it looking for people from a job perspective right now?

Anyone been put on short time, part week?

Anyone 'at risk' of redundancy?

Anyone working for an expanding business right now and wondering what the fuss is about?

I saw those poor old Honda workers who won't work again for 4 months! On the face of it, sounds like a nice holiday, BUT, I can't see the plant ever opening up again!

In my line of business, I find that unless companies have very committed budget associated with projects, they are deferring any CAPEX spend. It frightens the sh*t out of me!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

martin1973

posted on 30/1/09 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
well were i am only do 3 day week anyway,(due to the wtd 48 hours max) so they cant put us on shorter time,

but i work for a water co, driving tanker so as long as people keep err u know going and flushing i think were ok.

martin

mark chandler

posted on 30/1/09 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Prospects good at present but the cut in projects and investment will start to hit soon.

I work in telecoms, companies have stopped buying new networks so will sweat what they have, this will also include PC's servers etc.

YQUSTA

posted on 30/1/09 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Well I found out yesterday that we are to have heads cut again for the second time in 6 months. Great just great telecoms is screwed though so I just hope i'm 1 of the lucky ones again.
Dangle_kt

posted on 30/1/09 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Our company is about to grow massivly, winning tons of 3 and 10 year contracts at the mo.

Only way I'm feeling it is the CEO is reigning in head of department spending power as a bit of knee jerk, but it'll settle soon enough. And being a bit nervous about salary rise negotiations in spring - I'm thinking I might defer a payrise so I can get some expensive training I'm after.

Feel for those under the cosh right now though

johnston

posted on 30/1/09 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
I got fired (time off was in probation was excuse) 4 more got 2 weeks later. Doctors reckons I'm daft looking again till get hands fixed so I'm lucky enough.

My mate wit similar experiance got paid off due to lack of work can't find anything says job center is full everyday with people looking. Everyone else I know is either worried, hours cut, redundant or facing it.

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/1/09 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Tbh up in Aberdeen there seems to be plenty of work, I'm still getting called up by agency’s, my company's work force is expanding so fast our I.T departments having a real hard time keeping everything going and from what I hear from friends and family their companies are doing just as well.

The new housing estate behind me (400+ homes) is being moved in just as fast as the houses are being built. Not noticing any recession at all, apart from car prices being very low and fuel prices being back to what they were last year. My mortgage was recently reduced to as low as it was 4 years ago, infact I called them up as I thought they made a mistake turned out is was right. Bought a huge r/c plane kit with the savings

Things are just dandy here

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fesycresy

posted on 30/1/09 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Phones gone dead.

It's an in between time for me, not that cold and defo not hot (industrial heating and air conditioning).

Many factories have put installs on hold and deffered maintenance. Production lines not running, so no chiller / process burner work.

I never realised how many of our customers are related to the car or building industry.

Thank f*ck it's Friday

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

carpmart

posted on 30/1/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Prospects good at present but the cut in projects and investment will start to hit soon.

I work in telecoms, companies have stopped buying new networks so will sweat what they have, this will also include PC's servers etc.

Interesting, who do you work for and what do you do?

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

whitestu

posted on 30/1/09 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
All fine where I am - we are winning lots of long term contracts and there's a good chance the government will spend more due the downturn.
cd.thomson

posted on 30/1/09 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
The NHS is run on a skeleton crew and has been for years so no redundacies possible.

What the government has decided instead is to enforce even more targets and make current targets very difficult to achieve. Not enough people to fire anybody, so make every person work harder!

Craig

iank

posted on 30/1/09 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
We've just been bought by a major mobile manufacturer. Lots of rumors, but no news yet.

Should be ok, but I wouldn't want to be in marketing right now.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

kitcar007kev

posted on 30/1/09 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Position made redundant just before christmas
After 10 years working for the same company. The Job center is a waste of space. The first time ever been in one, to be met by 2 security guards and have the person in front of me drop syringes on the floor wtf. i asked about retraining - no chance not unless i am a crim!! (nice to know after paying taxes for the last ten years i am now worse of than a scum bag) the only training i would qualify for would be after 13 weeks - a course on writing letters and cv's.

anyway got to look on the brightside at least now i get to have a sleep in every morning and can grow a beard to annoy the missus. oh and i get £55 per week from DWP to spend on beer

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/1/09 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kitcar007kev
Position made redundant just before christmas
After 10 years working for the same company. The Job center is a waste of space. The first time ever been in one, to be met by 2 security guards and have the person in front of me drop syringes on the floor wtf. i asked about retraining - no chance not unless i am a crim!! (nice to know after paying taxes for the last ten years i am now worse of than a scum bag) the only training i would qualify for would be after 13 weeks - a course on writing letters and cv's.

anyway got to look on the brightside at least now i get to have a sleep in every morning and can grow a beard to annoy the missus. oh and i get £55 per week from DWP to spend on beer

No kidding but what about driving busses? I did that for 4 years, good fun, training given (you just take a reduced pay for a year or so), ok so the wage isn't brilliant but its reliable wage. It's not even close to as bad as people make out and a superb fall back if you ever get laid off. I could walk right back into it tomorrow if I needed as their always short of drivers.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 30/1/09 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Business has definitely slowed down - probably by 20% or so. We manufacture custom computer peripherals, mainly keyboards. Our target growth area for 2009/10 is the healthcare industry, but it's very frustrating dealing with the NHS to say the least - very little in the way of commercial ability IMHO.

Speaking to friends and family everyone has seen a drop in business of one sort or another. Most seem very disenchanted with the media hype that fuels the whole roadshow too

londonsean69

posted on 30/1/09 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Sweet as for me.

Our firm laid off 200 in the Middle East, where construction has ground to a halt on most projects, but my office is still hunting for engineers.

We have just taken on another 4 full time staff (Planning and Procurement) and have had to turn jobs down due to our current workload.

I even got a payrise just before Christmas.

Sean

kitcar007kev

posted on 30/1/09 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Had thought about HGV licence - Ice Road Truckers here i come. Then again i have probably been watching to much telly.

hobzy

posted on 30/1/09 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
No worries on the job front, being a teacher, but my Head of Year role is changing massively to make money available elsewhere. About to have sprog number 2 so will be facing a household income hit just at the wrong time. Should be able to weather the storm.

theconrodkid

posted on 30/1/09 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
i walked out of my job just as the recession started,no prospects at the mo.
re bus driving,i asked about that,plenty taking tests but no one recruiting.
ill give it another 6 months then move in with my girlie in poland at this rate

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

JoelP

posted on 30/1/09 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
we've had a quiet spot over christmas but apparently its coming back on strong after heavy advertising. Theres been pay cuts, 5% off additional invoices and some people have had 5% off basic, but i avoided that bit. Not too bothered to be honest, we'll manage, and its only a few years. Unless some twat goes mental with the interest rates, but then i think most people would be in trouble!

Speaking of interest rates, i hold the bank of england 33% responsible for this mess, for their incompetant and mistimed rate change decisions.

smart51

posted on 30/1/09 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Redundancies at our place, but not me fortunately. They're closing the factory and moving the work abroad. The last place I worked has laid loads of people off too.
f1ngers

posted on 30/1/09 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
I was made redundant from a US company in July. They are about 6 months ahead of UK recession wise! Found a new job fairly quickly then made redundant 2 weeks ago. Been looking but not much around in Data Storage or IT in general plus I am finding it more competitive. ie. Too many people chasing too few jobs.
DRC INDY 7

posted on 30/1/09 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Im on the rock and roll at the mo this is my second weeks there's naff all out there go to job interviews but looks like i have come to that time where i seem to be over qualified and the pitance that im prepared to take and still no job

never mind so to be self employed

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

wilkingj

posted on 30/1/09 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
I blame the current financial crisis on ALL the financial types out there lending money to people who simply couldn't afford it.

You only have to look at the total bombardment of offers to borrow money all coming via the post, on TV, and by Email.
Getting credit and loans has just been too damn easy.

Why did they let these people have these loans?... Simply to increase their bonuses and company profits.
Basically its all down to a LOT of GREEDY people, and they have almost screwed up the whole world!

Just my 2 reils worth.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

clanger

posted on 30/1/09 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
I work for Corus.............for the time being at least........Need I say more
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.