Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I'm confused... a brakes question (sorry)
mads

posted on 1/2/09 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
I'm confused... a brakes question (sorry)

I know there have been several questions asked about brakes already so apologise in advance for starting this thread. Having done a search and read through the various topics I'm still not sure which brakes I need to get... so can people provide answers to any of my questions please:

1) discs - obviously weight is an issue with sevens so what is the smallest size discs that i could use and would be effective. The car will be used on the road but also on the track. I am going to use 13" wheels and have discs all round with a bias fitted.

2) Plan is to go with solid discs rather than vented for size and from what i understand about vented brakes need to be heated up sufficiently to work effectively. What about solid discs which are drilled or grooved? Are these any better (or worse for that matter) or just aesthetically appealing?

3) calipers - which ones to get? i'm wanting the best i can afford so i dont have to upgrade them at a later date. Again, weight is important so have decided not to go with std sierra ones and was thinking 4-pot or is this too much?

4) pads - suggestions? or does it depend on which calipers i get?

5) is there anything else i need to consider before i buy anything? other than compatibility between the items.

cheers all. want to buy things now ready for my 2 weeks off in March!!

edit: its for a MK indy with R1 engine.

[Edited on 1/2/09 by mads]

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

speedyxjs

posted on 1/2/09 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Its probably best to stick to whatever your donor had. Thats what im doing but then my car will probably be the heaviest locost ever built

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Mark Allanson

posted on 1/2/09 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Standard brakes are more than enough unless you really REALLY want to drive at 10/10ths all the time. Different pads will give you all the fine tuning that you will need.

I have standard cortina set up with genuine ford pads and can outbrake just about anything. Open wheels help with the cooling as well.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

britishtrident

posted on 1/2/09 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Standard Sierra/Cortina ---- nothing needs upgraded just renewed/reconditioned and use pads and dshoes with with a suitable grade of friction material for your use of the vehicle.

likewise brake fluid just use standard Dot4 or DOT5.1 and change fluid every year.

What you should think about spending money is the master cylinder and pedal setup.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Bob C

posted on 3/2/09 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
on the other hand if you want to save an unsprung ton..........
checkout what I did - seems to brake pretty damn well, though I haven't tracked it.
http://freespace.virgin.net/bob.carter/locost_build_2005.htm
Bit of work to do it but saving is a few kg per corner. Those calipers are about 1/2kg each & were only £55 apiece

NS Dev

posted on 3/2/09 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
not of help to you if you are sierra based but for point of reference, I use standard cortina solid discs, with 4 pot raceleda calipers and mintex 1144 compound pads and they are plenty good enough for a 200hp 540kg locost, as well as being a good compromise weight wise.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.