Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 5th Gear
mookaloid

posted on 2/2/09 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
5th Gear

Is it just me or is 5th gear a really poor programme?

It's like they are trying to be amusing like Top Gear but they only end up being pointlessly stupid - and it isn't funny.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

blakep82

posted on 2/2/09 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
totally agree.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Angus180

posted on 2/2/09 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
i agree, altho dougie was good, born to ride. i miss my bike but its made way to buy a kitcar.
Dangle_kt

posted on 2/2/09 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I still watch, and enjoy it for what it is.

I like the way they are a little more grounded than top gear - for example the reviews are actually useful and not always some exotica, but they should stick to that and not try and do the whole laugh a minute thing.

Hellfire

posted on 2/2/09 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
That little Toyota IQ would be great with a bike engine transplant..........

Phil

McLannahan

posted on 2/2/09 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
It really is. Always seems to get somewhere with an article too, starts to get interesting and then it tails off and finishes. You're left wondering where the rest of the article is and why you've gained nothing from watching the last few minutes.

Poor.

koiking125

posted on 2/2/09 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Not expecting to see re-runs on 'Dave' anytime soon! They will never be Top Gear.

Sorry it's on Wednesday at 8.00

[Edited on 2/2/09 by koiking125]

[Edited on 2/2/09 by koiking125]

Mark Allanson

posted on 2/2/09 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
I think is the John Bentley influence who also does the Gadget Show. Testing a laptop by driving over it with a truck has similar relevance as testing a polish by attacking it with a flame thrower. I lost patience when VBH 'tested' a really nice classic merc by beating it with a baseball bat to see how tough it was - moronic

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Hellfire

posted on 2/2/09 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote

Lovin the new Scirroco too...........

Phil

smart51

posted on 2/2/09 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
That little Toyota IQ would be great with a bike engine transplant..........

Phil

Not at 850kg it wouldn't.

Hellfire

posted on 2/2/09 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
There's plenty of scope for reducing the weight. Starting with the engine and gearbox, seats, fuel tank etc.

Phil

andyps

posted on 2/2/09 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
First time I have watched Fifth Gear for ages as I am usually out on a Monday. It is a disappointing show which lacks anything to make it worth going out of my way to watch. I don't feel I miss anything by being out on Mondays!

The iQ looks interesting though.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

David Jenkins

posted on 2/2/09 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I gave up after 10 minutes or so - went and watched Deep Space 9 instead (it's the women in the tight uniforms that does it for me... ). Swapped back briefly during an ad break and saw VBH and Dougie - I would have been happy to watch that, if it wasn't for all the rubbish around it...

idl1975

posted on 3/2/09 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
I actually prefer it for this reason, although I don't watch TV unless I happen to be in the same room while the wife is.

Top Gear tells you nothing at all about the cars. Whenever they do a "review", they not only deliberately say nothing about the vehicle as an ownership proposition (not much of an issue for me, as I have no interest in owning a production car), but you don't even learn anything about its performance, because of the fast cutting and stupid effects. I.e., you never get to see the vehicle in motion for more than 3 seconds - the camera's doing a swoopy dolly shot, they throw in some stupid visual effect, they cut in and out of the car quickly. Even for the Stig laps, you basically only see a small part of one lap. So basically it's just an extended in-car shot of Cockson going "Pow-ah!" and mashing the throttle.

At least when fifth gear let Jason Potato or Tiff Needle loose on something, or VBH is reviewing a car or cars, you do actually get some insight into its/their behaviour. VBH will often give the audience her impressions of the vehicle's characteristics, and when JP or TN are ragging something around, you're actually able to see what it's doing from the outside for more than 0.5 seconds.

quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
I still watch, and enjoy it for what it is.

I like the way they are a little more grounded than top gear - for example the reviews are actually useful and not always some exotica, but they should stick to that and not try and do the whole laugh a minute thing.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.