Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wiper tubes
RK

posted on 3/2/09 at 02:03 AM Reply With Quote
Wiper tubes

You know; the parts that go around the screwing thing coming out of the wiper motor. The bits between the transmission boxes.

Does this have to be flared? I need different lengths to what I have. I really don't want to go to the trouble of buying a flaring tool, and big lengths of large brake line. I was going to cut one of the spares I have to length.

As always, thank you for your always-informative responses.

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/2/09 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
yes usually they are flared at each joint but you can do that by carefully holding it lengthwise in a vice (wrap in a cloth), heating the end up with a blow torch till is glowing and then tapping a large drill bit at the end while rotating the dill bit and that will make a nice flare. I had 3 wipers on my Falcon which needed 7 flares made in the tube, as at the last wiper spindle you should have a further tube to hold the end of the driving rod rather than have it hanging out in the open. Make sure you fully grease the driving rod and the spindle shafts before putting it all togeather

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 3/2/09 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
The bundy tube (official name) should be flared but it doesn't have to be

I tried flaring mine but its made from hard arse metal and broke my brake flarer!!! So I gave up and used them straight cut. I did file the inside of the tube to flare it slightly and went a bit heavy with the lube as a token gesture. 2 years later and no wiper jams as of yet....

Bob C

posted on 3/2/09 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I flared mine by running the (bundy) pipe backwards in the lathe & shoving a big drill into it.
g.gilo

posted on 3/2/09 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
flare

hi all
warm bundy, tap a suitable size ball bearing in to end of tube, lovely flare if you are careful. easier still if you have lathe chuck to hold tube.
graham

RK

posted on 3/2/09 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent! Thank you everyone. Very much appreciated as usual.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.