Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT - bent bolts ?
mcerd1

posted on 3/2/09 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
OT - bent bolts ?

I've got a wee problem at work

a customer has managed to bent one of the anchor bolts that holds up a steel structure - its a very slight bend
the bolts are cast into the concrete and can't be changed without removing the whole foundation

I know that the bolt will still be strong enough (its an M24 8.8 FFS), but they want something to prove its still strong enough

anyone know where I can find some theory on this to keep them happy ?

-Robert

yellow melos

posted on 3/2/09 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Surely if it was able to get bent in the first place it has been used beyond it's design limits ??

or did sombody do somthing stupid to it.... like swing a 20 ton RSJ into it.

BenB

posted on 3/2/09 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
If it ain't fallen down yet it's strong enough

I very much doubt there's going to be theory on "slightly bent bolts" on the basis that any effect on the bolt will surely depend on how the bolt got bent in the first place, the loads applied to it etc etc.

Also 8.8 graded bolts will be tested to 8.8 standards. I'm pretty sure that test won't include "how much strength is left after it's been bent a bit"....

Steve P

posted on 3/2/09 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Is it still holding the structure? its strong enough then.
nick205

posted on 3/2/09 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Can you still fit the nut onto the thread?

Can you "persuade" it back into shape?

Can you install another fixing/anchor point close by?

gazza285

posted on 3/2/09 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Once the structure is built the anchor bolts have nothing to do but keep the leg plumb, it's not under any more load than how tight you have tightened it. Tell them that you will have to employ the services of an engineer to calculate the new load capacity (which will not have changed, steel is elastic to a certain degree remember), and as they have damaged it, they will have to pay for the engineer.

Either that, or bend it back with the old 14lb sledge hammer.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 3/2/09 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Some mesurements and back of the envelope simple bending theory will give the numbers for the tensile and compressive plastic deformation strain. But you would need tensile test result for the type of bolt in question to interpret the numbers.

What it really hinges on has the bolt been stressed beyond its yield point ----- yield point and the limit of elasticity are different on some steels they are quite far apart, if they weren't stretch head bolts wouldn't work.

If that looks OK

They next part of the problem is to figure how the bolt material will behave when it is straighten and the best way to straighten it -- ie the mechanical properties if the bolt is heat to red heat and cooled. For that you would need a metallurgist.

Because bolts have stress raising features ie the threads I would either apply a generous factor of safety to the results or get a finite element analysis done by an a credited practioner.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

richardlee237

posted on 3/2/09 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
The bolt has been plastically deformed and may have surface cracking and work hardening. The physical properties have been changed and no Qualified Engineer would certify the strength. The other problem is that if you try to use as it is then the bolt will try to straighten leading to further deformation etc etc.

If this is a real problem, then the simple answer is to diamond drill a core out of the concrete and fix in a new anchor bolt using a proper chemical bonding system like Kem fix. It is relatively cheap and certifiable.

I have done this a few times when either the bolting pattern was not known before the foundation was poured, or there was a snafu like the one you have. It is a perfectly acceptable system but casting in the anchor bolts is cheaper.

Quote Lord Kelvin
“Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in race horses and women.”

Quote Richard Lee

"and cars"

iank

posted on 3/2/09 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
If the customer bent it and are the worried ones then surely they will be expecting to pay for it to be corrected.

I'd put together a quote for fixing it properly (ripping out foundations and re-laying with new bolts etc) and the time it will take and let them decide if they want to take the pain.

Anything else will require a proper structural engineer to estimate the load the bolt will be taking as a worst case - it's possible the other undamaged bolts are enough on their own, but if not then it's going to be virtually impossible to estimate the remaining strength of a bent bolt.

Bugger - too late again

[Edited on 3/2/09 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

mcerd1

posted on 3/2/09 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellow melos
or did sombody do somthing stupid to it.... like swing a 20 ton RSJ into it.

yeah something like that....

quote:
Originally posted by richardlee237
If this is a real problem, then the simple answer is to diamond drill a core out of the concrete and fix in a new anchor bolt using a proper chemical bonding system like Kem fix. It is relatively cheap and certifiable.

I have done this a few times when either the bolting pattern was not known before the foundation was poured, or there was a snafu like the one you have. It is a perfectly acceptable system but casting in the anchor bolts is cheaper.

we do these all the time too - but its too late now, and we are not doing the site work

quote:
The bolt has been plastically deformed and may have surface cracking and work hardening. The physical properties have been changed and no Qualified Engineer would certify the strength

yeah - thats the problem

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
.....or get a finite element analysis done by an a credited practioner.

hadn't thought about FEM, but I doubt they'll pay that much or wait that long

just to clear things up a bit

the structure is installed, it hasn't fallen down - but the end customer (our customers customer) is doing design asurance stuff

the structure is best thought of as an out door industial support (eletrical substation) so it has to support a fair moment at the base as its not far off being a cantalever column

despite that the design load in the bolts themself is nowhere near the limit

btw - I'm an engineer (mech eng degree) but not chartered, so they will only be hapy with calcs (and as above no chartered engineer would touch this)

[Edited on 3/2/09 by mcerd1]

richardlee237

posted on 3/2/09 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
You cannot assume that the foundation bolts are doing nothing other than locating the structure, without calculating the loadings.

It is quite possible to have an uplift on the structure due to wind loading or other dynamic loads imposed by machinery.

That said I have seen a lot of plant where the foundation bolts were not even tightened up or the nuts were missing completely and they had been standing for years.

If you can determine the leg loadings either by calculation or by the original design calcs then you may be able to show the bolt is redundant.

Quote Lord Kelvin
“Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in race horses and women.”

Quote Richard Lee

"and cars"

mcerd1

posted on 3/2/09 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
If you can determine the leg loadings either by calculation or by the original design calcs then you may be able to show the bolt is redundant.

Loadings arn't a problem - I designed the structure

it has quite large moments (and some uplift under certain load cases) - these arn't your typical structures

I was comeing to that conclusion myself - but its not ideal as the next question will be "why were there so many bolts then if they arn't needed?"

r1_pete

posted on 3/2/09 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
So the client is trying to pass the risk of failure onto yourselves by asking for the assurance.

I wouldn't accept that, I'd respond with - we can no longer guarantee the structural integrity, and some words around you bent it you cough up for the rectification.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richardlee237

posted on 3/2/09 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
As you are aware of the design loadings and if you are confident that you have enough capacity in the remaining bolts then you can certify it. The fact that you had surplus capacity in the system before the damage, was because your experience has shown that these things happen. Or words to that effect. You can also point out that there is some remaining capacity in the deformed bolt as well.

This is when an Engineer has to have the courage of his convictions, training and experience.

Quote Lord Kelvin

Quote Richard Lee

"and cars"

smart51

posted on 3/2/09 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
if you are confident that you have enough capacity in the remaining bolts then you can certify it.

This sounds like a much easier tack to follow. If 3 of the 4 bolts fitted are enough on their own, it doesn't matter how much the 4th one is weakened.

BenB

posted on 3/2/09 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
My attitude would be the same as when I lend someone a car:

you bend it, you mend it

britishtrident

posted on 3/2/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
The other approach of course is to straighten the bolt and get a pull out test done but the foundations might not have enough exposed area to take two 40 ton jacks and load cell.
If takes say 50% of UTS without showing more plastic deformation you have won a watch.

However if the bolt is bent through an arc of more than about ten degrees it is almost certainly beyond saving

mcerd1

posted on 3/2/09 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
My attitude would be the same as when I lend someone a car:

you bend it, you mend it

that would be nice, but they don't want to and we can't make them
they just want somone to say its ok in a way that they can prove (this sort of thing drives me mad, and they do things like this all the time )

these are big international companies - they don't take any responsibility unless they have to and won't take my word for it either without calcs to prove it
even if I was the world expert on capacities of deformed bolts they'd want calcs

mcerd1

posted on 3/2/09 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The other approach of course is to straighten the bolt and get a pull out test done but the foundations might not have enough exposed area to take two 40 ton jacks and load cell.
If takes say 50% of UTS without showing more plastic deformation you have won a watch.

However if the bolt is bent through an arc of more than about ten degrees it is almost certainly beyond saving

its got to be less than 10 deg - they only had to drill the base plates 2mm oversize to make it fit (and its 25 or 30mm think I think)

I'll suggest a pull out test - but I'm not sure they'll want to take the structure down again......
they normally use 150% of the factored design load for pullout tests on chemical anchors so I guess they'd do the same here

richardlee237

posted on 3/2/09 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
This sort of situation is exactly what Project Engineering is all about.

It is very easy to say that it is the fault of the steel erector, crane driver or whoever and that they must put it right.

Are you really going to demand they dismantle the whole plant to replace 1 bolt ?

I don't think the client would too impressed or mcerd1's employer even though it would cover his a**e.

The Engineer has got to be able to demonstrate (either by calculation or physical load test) that the plant is still safe or not, that is why he is an Engineer and not a steel erector.

Quote Lord Kelvin

Quote Richard Lee

"and cars"

MikeR

posted on 3/2/09 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
i can't follow most of this but ....

sounds like they know there is a problem and want someone else to say its ok - that way if its not ok, they get to blame someone else (and have taken reasonable precautions if judges get involved).

be careful.

britishtrident

posted on 3/2/09 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Re-thinking pullout test

simpler solution is a crane & load cell -- all thats required is some kind of special fitting to allow a pull to be applied directly to the bolt.

[Edited on 3/2/09 by britishtrident]

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 3/2/09 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
This sort of situation is exactly what Project Engineering is all about.

It is very easy to say that it is the fault of the steel erector, crane driver or whoever and that they must put it right.

Are you really going to demand they dismantle the whole plant to replace 1 bolt ?

I don't think the client would too impressed or mcerd1's employer even though it would cover his a**e.

The Engineer has got to be able to demonstrate (either by calculation or physical load test) that the plant is still safe or not, that is why he is an Engineer and not a steel erector.

Reminds me of the Navies & Magnox nuclear power staion horror stories ----- When trying to increae the working life of these stations in the 1970s the engineers inspecting the pressure vessls foud unexpectedly severe corrosion on vital bolts and reinforcing bars
The cause was eventually tracked down by chemical analysis, the navies working at the top of the power station were not provided with toilets facilities at the top so when they wanted to pee simple used the holes where long reinforce bars came up from the foundations. After the concrete was poured the corrosive elements were trapped -- result a ticking time bomb that reduced the strength of the structure. The engineers then had to get shed loads FEM analysis done very quickly.

[Edited on 3/2/09 by britishtrident]

[/I]

MikeRJ

posted on 3/2/09 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
[I was comeing to that conclusion myself - but its not ideal as the next question will be "why were there so many bolts then if they arn't needed?"

Answer: I always in design adequate redundancy with these fixings since customers seem to regularly damage them during installation

richardlee237

posted on 3/2/09 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
The Construction Design Management Regulations require the designer to provide calculations of the plant loadings and design details and calculations of the holding down arrangments. It is quite reasonable that the client asks that any deviation from the design is certified to be safe.

If they have specifically queried a bent h/d bolt then you have to assume that bolt is no longer any good. As you cannot calculate it, even by FEM as you cannot certify the material.

If you really cannot certify the design with the remaining bolts by calculation then it is always possible to weld on an extension to the base plate and bolt that down to the foundation. Thus restoring the original calculations.

The CDM Regulations were brought in to eliminate, amongst other things, the "she'll be right" attitude.

Quote Lord Kelvin

Quote Richard Lee

"and cars"

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.