Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LPG numpty follow up
Jon Ison

posted on 4/2/09 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
LPG numpty follow up

Took the plunge, just back from Chelmsford having collected our new van.

Renault Traffic petrol/LPG.

Impressed ? You bet I am, drives superb, cost a whopping £38 to fill the 80litre tank at motorway services so I guess will be less locally, the VW transporter cost £80 to fill with diesel, over £100 not so long ago.

Change over is seamless, performance more than adequate, noise levels in cab unbelivibly quiet after years of diesels, we never carry heavy loads just bulky so not worried on that score, well chuffed.

blakep82

posted on 4/2/09 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
seems alright

but, erm, petrol? (granted you can't get LPG conversions on a diesel) i hope you have a lot of garages where you can buy LPG near you. nearest one to me is 30miles away

[Edited on 4/2/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

deneo

posted on 4/2/09 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
lpg

you can run diesels with lpg i have converted
them run very well

blakep82

posted on 4/2/09 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deneo
them run very well

ah, never knew that. i though LPG would need a spark, unless it uses a little diesel too just to fire?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

DarrenW

posted on 4/2/09 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
them run very well

Have you ever ran any vans on what they were designed for?

jimmyjoebob

posted on 4/2/09 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I recently bought an lpg converted car and it is far cheaper to run than my previous diesel.

Mine costs £24 to fill up at motorway services!

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

hobbsy

posted on 4/2/09 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Unless its a woefully underpowered petrol car or a fairly rubbish diesel at the same power levels diesel still takes a lot of beating for economy.

LPG is all good for bigger engined cars though.

In my own experience of course...

BTW LPG in diesels isn't the only fuel its used to enhance power and make for a cleaner burn so you use less diesel but you still use some! (?)

RichB

posted on 4/2/09 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah there's a general myth about not being able to convert a diesel engine to LPG. It's actually only that the savings aren't that great so it would take longer to recoup the initially conversion cost.

BTW - don't forget to get a different adapter if you want to fill up on the continent !

RK

posted on 5/2/09 at 01:10 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, foreigner question: what is LPG? Something to do with ladies' golf?

[Edited on 5/2/09 by RK]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 5/2/09 at 01:25 AM Reply With Quote
liquid petroleum gas, autogas

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

mad4x4

posted on 5/2/09 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
them run very well

ah, never knew that. i though LPG would need a spark, unless it uses a little diesel too just to fire?

Not sure but the LPG on diesels is to enhance performance bit like NOS on a petrol....... Not an alternative fuel.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/2/09 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
You simply reduce the amount of diesel being injected and add LPG in at the same time through the intake manifold. The diesel gets the ignition of the fuel going as LPG by its own will not ignite.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iiyama

posted on 5/2/09 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Jon,
where did you find the van? I run an LPG LWB hi top tranny at the moment and desperatly need o change it as the bodywork is falling of with metal worm!

Been looking for ages but cant find anything, (except one in Blackpool but the guy was asking about 33% more then it was worth!).

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/2/09 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iiyama
Jon,
where did you find the van? I run an LPG LWB hi top tranny at the moment and desperatly need o change it as the bodywork is falling of with metal worm!

Been looking for ages but cant find anything, (except one in Blackpool but the guy was asking about 33% more then it was worth!).

conversion kits can cost around £500 if done DIY, you could buy a normal petrol one and haggle on how expensive it is to run then just convert it yourself

kit linky

kit linky 2

kit linky 3

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Steve P

posted on 5/2/09 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iiyama
Jon,

We searched for month's trying to find a transit chassis cab to have a dropside body made. We NEVER found one tho.
Since purchased a diesel as was needed and found these guys. maybe they can help. http://www.arunautogas.co.uk/ford-transit-lpg-autogas-conversion.htm

Hope the renault dont suffer with tha same issues we have had with 2 vaux combos (also hope citreon also as awaiting a new berlingo). Factory converted altho this is aftermarket by millbrook, vauxhall stock NO parts at all for these systems, one van is 2 years old and spent 4 months + off the road the other is 1 year old and spent 3 months off the road.

MikeRJ

posted on 5/2/09 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichB
Yeah there's a general myth about not being able to convert a diesel engine to LPG. It's actually only that the savings aren't that great so it would take longer to recoup the initially conversion cost.

AFAIK there are no actual LPG conversion kits available for diesels, i.e. ones that replace diesel as the fuel.

The only ones I have seen are for LPG fumigation, which keep the engine running on diesel, but adds some LPG to the inlet air to aid combustion.

iiyama

posted on 5/2/09 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
Finding a petrol engined Tranny is just as hard!

Reckon Ive got a better chance of finding a 3.14 diff with an ATB already fitted and fully reconed for a tenner!

Ivan

posted on 5/2/09 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
I recently read that some of the local group N racers here in SA run the turbo diesels with a combined diesel/LPG mix with great success making for a significant performance increase. Don't know how true it is though.

britishtrident

posted on 5/2/09 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
Unless its a woefully underpowered petrol car or a fairly rubbish diesel at the same power levels diesel still takes a lot of beating for economy.

LPG is all good for bigger engined cars though.

In my own experience of course...

BTW LPG in diesels isn't the only fuel its used to enhance power and make for a cleaner burn so you use less diesel but you still use some! (?)

Leaving the smelly expensive fuel and added cost of service --- Diesels are fine when still under manufacturers warranty but the problem with diesels is when they do go wrong they are at least twice as expensive to fix -- injector pumps, cracked heads, injectors, turbos are not cheap to replace.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.