Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is there a programme that will convert scans to a cad file?
AdrianH

posted on 13/2/09 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Is there a programme that will convert scans to a cad file?

It may seem to be a strange request but does anyone know of a way to scan on a flatbed scanner an image, say set to Black and white and then have another package recognise the edges and turn into a cad drawing?

It would be a wonderful way to scan gaskets and then pass the files to a laser cutters to make manifold plates or similar for the engine.

Adrian

Perhaps I should have done some google scans before I posted this, going to download a few freebies and see what I can do!

Anyone tried this approach before?

[Edited on 13-2-09 by AdrianH]

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

balidey

posted on 13/2/09 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know of any that do that, but TBH I wouldn't trust them.

I often scan an image and import it into Solidworks and then sketch over it. But I always imput the dimensions from actually measuring the part.

minitici

posted on 13/2/09 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Just scan it with your Tricorder then shove it in the Replicator - job's a good 'un!

Must remember 'Life is not Star-Trek'....

bigandy

posted on 13/2/09 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
SolidWorks has the capability to insert JPG's (or other image formats like Gifs, Tifs etc) into part models. YOu can then create a sketch over it and use a tool called "autotrace" which attempts to pick up lines/edges/points etc and convert them into sketch entities.

This converted sketch can then be used to create a 3D model, or a 2D drawing, which can then be output in pretty much any CAD format you require.

I have used it a fair bit in the past, and it does have it's uses, although there is always a slight amount of noise/cleaning up to do. The amount depends on how good the scanned images are.

I'm not aware of any decent "automatic" standalone programs that convert scanned data (raster format) to CAD data (vector format). I'm sure most CAD software can do it, but I only have experience of SW

Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

dan_g8

posted on 13/2/09 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
yeah they exist, we used to have one at my old job, i cant remember the name of it though. They are rubbush and its far better to put the image into cad and draw over it. We could never use it to convert scans to cad files as it would pick up every mark, crease or smudge on the paper. They are only good to use for converting pdf's to cad files really.

Dan

Aboardman

posted on 13/2/09 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
I can convert a pdf to a autocad drawing, at work

ideally a ref size should be included so that the cad drawing can be blown up to the correct size.

however it is rubbish at text and converts it to indivual line to a charactor, and complex drawings

cannot remember the name of the software i downloaded it some where.

Alan B

posted on 13/2/09 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
As others really....

Answer...yes, but they're crap..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AdrianH

posted on 13/2/09 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Well OK I am not a cad person and no I don't have a Tricorder But I scanned a gasket on the flat bed scanner, from a software package called Scan2CAD v7 Trial.

When the scan was complete went Raster effects and cleaned removing speckles and small holes. Then detect colour edges.

Run vectorisation
select V to only show the vector output, then finally File vector save as to save as a dxf file.

I had some setting to make sure I saved in mm and sizes in mm etc but the result in Voloview is, to me, bloody good.

If I figure out how to add the dxf I will.

Adrian

gasket.dxf

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 13/2/09 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
I did this as a job for a long time, it is possible to do, there software packages out there but it is far quicker and more accurate to redraw from scratch.

The second one is gtx for autocad which is what i used in work. Trust me you are better off sitting down with a digital caliper and spending 10 mins measuring the gasket.

In fact I have done exactly what you said scanned the gasket for a x20xev ecotec and tried to generate a dxf/dwg, I got a satisfactory result but only after messing with the resultant vector file a great deal. I also did the caliper thing and did it in about half the time and way more accurately

sorry to pee on your chips

http://www.softcover.com/
gtx linky

[Edited on 13/2/09 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

AdrianH

posted on 13/2/09 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
But you are not peeing on my chips because I have not got anything like solid works etc. I have a very basic package for Windows that is called Cadstd and to do any drawings will take me quite a few hours

So to get to a stage where I can present something to a laser cutting service and say how much? In what would now be 15 mins for me is good.

If you are a cad expert then I do see where you are coming from as it must be much easier for you.

Adrian

trextr7monkey

posted on 14/2/09 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Adrian it is along while back but we did some work with a pupil who wanted to engrave some shapes he had drawn by hand -we scanned them and then converted files with good results, I can t remember precise details but the interesting thing for you was that the software all comes for free-check out the Roland website look for Dr Stika plus and Dr Engrave,which allow you to import and export files there are also some 3 d versions which you would'nt need but might entertain you for a while
hth
atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Neville Jones

posted on 14/2/09 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I've just copied an exhaust gasket to cad, for the waterjet to cut a manifold plate.

Took me 20 mins, from start to finish with calipers and drew as I went. Acad 2008

Nev.

[Edited on 14/2/09 by Neville Jones]

Fred W B

posted on 15/2/09 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

present something to a laser cutting service and say how much?

Whats wrong with old fashioned pencil and paper? Add the dimensions to your drawing and they can quote from your sketch, or if you give them an existing part or gasket thay can quote from that from that as well.

If you want to go ahead and have them make the part let the laser cutter draw it up in whatever he uses - you need one that has a draughtsman, bigger concerns will.

As stated in posts above, everyone I know who has tried to teach themselves CAD, and can now draw in CAD are still way faster with a "back of a fag pack" type sketch/drawing if you just have to make (or get made) a simple part (full time draugstmen excepted)

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 15/2/09 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

andkilde

posted on 15/2/09 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
My father in law is an architect -- he has a high dollar unit that scans full sheet drawings to convert them into CAD files, IIRC it's a bit troublesome and there is a lot of touch up work. It's worthwhile for him as they have very complicated electrical and HVAC diagrams that can be a giant time commitment to replicate.

I've used the "draw over top of it" method with good results. Most packages allow you to import a jpg or whatnot and sketch overtop using it as a guide -- delete it once you've finished and you're off to the races.

As others have mentioned, re-drawing from scratch seems to be quicker for folks who are proficient.

Cheers, Ted

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.