Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brakes (or the lack of!!)
Eggy

posted on 14/2/09 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Brakes (or the lack of!!)

Ok,

I want to up the braking efficency in the car. Currently the MC is labeled up as Ford KO236 311809 22 Q40 - any ideas what this means and what I need to change to if I want to improve the feel of the pedal?

Cheers,

Kev.

[img] Master cylinder
Master cylinder
[/img]

And any idea what this bit is?

[img] Brake valve??
Brake valve??
[/img]

[Edited on 14/2/09 by Eggy]

[Edited on 14/2/09 by Eggy]

t16turbotone

posted on 14/2/09 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
hello, you need to remove that valve on side of MC, and fit fiat uno biasing valve to rear brake line instead
Eggy

posted on 14/2/09 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
What's the valve do?

(Sorry about the image sizes - took me 3 attempts to get them working!!)

t16turbotone

posted on 14/2/09 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
think they call it a q valve, its a special valve which alters pressure to rear brakes depending on g forces, but its set up for sierra weights and figures, no good to you
tomblyth

posted on 14/2/09 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
it reduces the fluid pressure to the rear wheels so they dont lock up to early, that valve may be ok ! but as surgested there are ways to make it adjustable . mines a wilwood version but there are various types ! look on ebay for break bias valve,
Eggy

posted on 14/2/09 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Any ideas on the MC?
britishtrident

posted on 15/2/09 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
From the mounting bolt postions it is clearly a master cylinder designed for use with servo. These have a bigger bore than non-servoed cylinders.

The smaller the master cylinder bore the less pedal pressure is required to stop the car.

You need either a smaller bore master cylinder from a without a servo or you need to fit a servo or fit a balance bar pedal box.

All cars with servos have master cylinders with bores from 0.81" to about 0.93".
Ford typically use 0.81" or 0.83" on medium sized models.

Car without servos have master cylinders sized from around 0.625" to 0.75". Car without servos but with front disc brakes tend to use master cylinder of 07." or 0.75"
Both Westfield and Caterham use 0.7" master cyliders on the standard models.
The Fiesta Mk1 witou a servo used a 0.7" mastercylinder.
The Cortina Mk3 1300 without a servo used a 0.75" master cylinders.

With a balance bar pedal box cylinders from 0.625" to 0.75" are used depending on size of calipers fitted to the car.

Below the 0.7" Girling cylinder used by both Caterham and Westfield.

[Edited on 15/2/09 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 15/2/09 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
The pressure regulating valve in the picture works purely on hydraulic pressure.

As excessive pedal pressure is required to get enough hydraulic pressure in the system stop the car it is probable the valve is having having no detrimental on the the braking effort --- the hydrualic pressure simply isn't high enough for it to cut in.

[Edited on 15/2/09 by britishtrident]

[/I]

Eggy

posted on 21/2/09 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks for the replies (sorry it's taken me a while to reply, I've been working in Germany without web access )

So, just to clarify, it's new mc (fiesta or cortina) and the valve from an Uno? (time to break out the credit card)

britishtrident

posted on 21/2/09 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
You don't need the Uno valve

Either retain the existing valve or you could try it without. a vavle fitted.

The rear brakes at best do 25 to 30% of the stopping and I doubt if the valve you have is even cutting in at normal stopping pressures

[/I]

Eggy

posted on 7/3/09 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks for the help so far but the story continues..........

After a major search I found a Fiesta MC (It was listed as Mk1/2 Fiesta) on Ebay. It arrived yesterday and so, like a kid with a new toy, I rushed to the garage this morning to fit it......

Brake MC
Brake MC

Have I been sent the wrong thing? If not, any ideas which pipes go where and is it ok to blank the spare port off (I've got a single line running to the rear)?

Not happy - why does everything take so long on these cars?!!! I need a beer!!

[Edited on 7/3/09 by Eggy]

mistergrumpy

posted on 7/3/09 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see why you couldn't blank one outlet or if not maybe you could tee one outlet into the other. It looks like a dual piston cylinder and if I were to guess I'd say that one colour was left side braking and one right side braking. So by blocking say yellow rear you would still have the front left and rights and one rear who's handedness would be irrelevant.
I'd be very interesting on knowing the definitive answer though.
Been doing some reading on this MC and it seems it is like I said, a cross split with a 50/50 balance if I remember. People have suggested putting the brake light switch into one of the rear holes.
See here
[Edited on 7/3/09 by mistergrumpy]

[Edited on 8/3/09 by mistergrumpy]

[Edited on 8/3/09 by mistergrumpy]

britishtrident

posted on 8/3/09 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Two bleed nipples is all that is required -- one in a front circuit port and the other in the spare rear circuit port.
britishtrident

posted on 8/3/09 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Re-readding your last post ---
It might be a idea to measure the bore of the new cylinder before fitting as only a very few Fiestas all of which were poverty spec Mk1 --- most Mk1 and probably all Mk2 models had servos.

Usually with Girling/Locheed/Lucas cylinders the postion of the mounting holes reveals the cylinder type --- if the line joining the hole centre lines is vertical then it is a non-servo. On cylinders for direct mounting on the servo the line joining the hole centres was horizontal.

[/I]

MikeRJ

posted on 9/3/09 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Re-readding your last post ---
It might be a idea to measure the bore of the new cylinder before fitting as only a very few Fiestas all of which were poverty spec Mk1 --- most Mk1 and probably all Mk2 models had servos.

The presence of the pushrod and rubber dust cover would suggest this isn't designed for a servo?

mistergrumpy

posted on 15/3/09 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Just to hog this thread a little and to settle it in my mind.

Brake MC
Brake MC

This MC has a 50/50 cross split so am I right in having say both yellows to each of the front wheels and one blue to the rear with a bleed nipple in the other blue/ The blues are an M12 with a large port whilst the yellows are M10 with a smaller port.
Cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.