Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Skoda Fabia door lock jammed
greggors84

posted on 17/2/09 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Skoda Fabia door lock jammed

Took my Skoda Fabia vrs in to a local body shop to have a dent in the passenger door removed. Picked it up on Friday took it home and didn't drive it again until Monday morning. When my flat mate tried to open the passenger door it was jammed from inside and out. Took it back to the body shop and he said he would take a look. He didn't have it done by the evening so left it with him. He called at lunch today to say he couldn't fix it. Skoda had told him it was a common fault with the door locks breaking internally. He said a new part would be 85 plus vat plus the labour plus the labour from yesterday. I told him I wasn't paying anything as it worked when I took it to him. Eventually he said he would just charge me for the the part and fitting. I said if it's a part the needs fitting I will fit it myself as they have already had it a day and a half and got no where.

Firstly does anyone know of this problem? The door won't open from either side. The central locking makes the bormal noise but nothing happens. It seems a though something mechanical inside the lock has broken as nothing is obvious from the outside with the door card off. If I do have to get a new lock how do I get it out without opening the door. The bloke from the body shop reckoned you have to break then old one. But I can't see there not being a way to replacing a broken lock without opening the door.

From what seen from pictures on the Internet the doors are very similar across the VAG range.

Secondly where do I stand with these guys. They fixed a dent in the passenger door. Lock in that door stops working. Hardly a coincidence! Because I took it back 2 days later and now have taken it again, do I have a leg to stand on?

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/2/09 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
pain the arse job, friends golf back door did this felt like taking a chisel to the door skin! but in the end we used a mirror like they use at the dentist and long nose pliers, managed to flick the catch open.

I recommend you have a good look at the mechanism in the working door from inside to see what moves, that will show you whatever lever arm you need to grab with the pliers

[Edited on 17/2/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bassett

posted on 17/2/09 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the door control module is not longer working, replaced mine the other week on a Leon Cupra R 04. bit tricky but theres a guide on VW vortex forum try taping around the door handly might re connect the soldered connector that fails. that may reconnect it and the button will work to unlock. That or they havent connected it properly

[Edited on 17/2/09 by bassett]

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

AR-CoolC

posted on 17/2/09 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Do you know if the outer door handle was removed to repair the dent?

If it was then it could be a very simple fix.

There is a cable that goes from the handle to the lock mechanism, if this cable is fitted back too tight then the first time the handle is pulled it moves the lock mech too far and past it's opening point.

If you pull the handle, look at the back, the bit that is covered by the lock barrel in the normal position. If you can see a small black plastic clip in the back of the handle it is too tight, it should sit level with the lock barrel when fully open.

If it is too high, then simply pop it out and let it slide back a little before pushing it back in. It is on small splines.

It's a lot easier to explain with pictures but I don't have any to hand.

Imagine what it would be like if there were no hypothetical situations.

greggors84

posted on 17/2/09 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
The only bit they removed was the door handle when I first took it back he commented on the cable being adjusted wrong or something. Car is at work now but will have a look first thing in the morning. Fingers crossed it's nothing more complicated.

If the mechanism has been moved too far, do you have to reset it or will it be ok once the cable has been slackened?

I don't think it's anything electrical, when you plug it in the back you can hear the central locking working but it's like there is nothing there.

[Edited on 17/2/2009 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

AR-CoolC

posted on 17/2/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Once the cable is in the correct position it should work fine.

Fingers crossed that's all it is.

bassett

posted on 18/2/09 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Probably not relocated the tab on the cable that locks unlocks from the module. if you unscrew but not fully the torx bolt on the inside side of the door above the lock you should be able to pull the barrely cover outand re attach the cable.

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

greggors84

posted on 18/2/09 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Got into work this morning and it was about a 2 second job to pull the handle and flick the little tab in. Cant believe the bodyshop spend 5 hours (apparently!) trying to figure out how to fix it.

Just a shame they such a mess of taking the door card off and the window out. Most of the fixing tabs broken, all the tabs securing the loom to the door broken. The multiplug that goes to the lock broken when they tried to get it off. Luckily it will still lock on and I have cable tied the loom in place.

And he tried to charge me £25 an hour for wrecking my door!

Anyway rant over! At least its back together now and hopefully the matter is over...

Thanks for all the suggestions and help, luckily it was the most simple one!

[Edited on 18/2/2009 by greggors84]

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

AR-CoolC

posted on 19/2/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Glad to see it was the quick fix.

tomatogrower

posted on 12/5/12 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
I know the original post was a couple of years ago but when I found it the description fitted my problem exactly. Excellent job on the door repair but next day I couldn't get in except through the passenger side.

It is now a weekend and I had in mind phoning the Skoda dealer on Monday since a service and MOT is due soon and getting it all done together if a little earlier than planed.

But having read through the various posts I too had the door opened in seconds.

Many thanks to those who made this possible.

PSpirine

posted on 12/5/12 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
I had the exact same thing on my Passat after swapping a door a few months ago.

Slackened the cable and all was well!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.