Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Problems with avg free antivirus???
russbost

posted on 23/2/09 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Problems with avg free antivirus???

I know a few on here use AVG, anyone else having problems?
Since I switched broadband to Virgin it keeps reporting it's lost the connection when updating, usually then works manually.
Installed the latest update today & it appears to have completely uninstalled AVG 8.0???
Done a reinstall (still had the downloaded file on the system) but now reports it's out of date & won't update?
Any ideas?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
designer

posted on 23/2/09 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I changed from AVG to Avast. A lot better.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
vinny1275

posted on 23/2/09 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Can you get to Windows Update, any other AV sites (symantec, sophos, etc.)?

there was a virus doing the rounds which knackered AVG and redirected anything to do with security back to your machine. IT was a new virus when my sister-in-law got it (machine was patched up to date as well), it took me 8 hours to root out all the bits and remove it. Then when I finally could update AVG, it knew about the virus!

You can also manually download the newest AVG definitions file if you've had to reinstall...

HTH

Vince

Schrodinger

posted on 23/2/09 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer

I'll second that

Keith
Aviemore

russbost

posted on 23/2/09 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Just tried windows update - seems to work fine, it's just the AVG stuff that doesn't sem to be working properly

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
vinny1275

posted on 23/2/09 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Just tried windows update - seems to work fine, it's just the AVG stuff that doesn't sem to be working properly

Try manually downloading the latest updates, then see if it starts updating....

Cheers

Vince

BenB

posted on 23/2/09 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'm on Virgin. Occasionally it doesn't work on the automatic update but usually I just leave it until the next time I boot up and it usually catches up then....

Even a manual update doesn't always work. I know the AVG server used to get DoS to death by malware. Not sure if that still happens, guess it's not that if its just VM customers suffering...

britishtrident

posted on 23/2/09 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
The problem will be the download servers are very busy ---- this is the real difference between free AV software and the paid for version.

Over the last month or so the number of viruses hitting desktops has increased.

My advice is switch to the paid for version of Avria --- it dosen't slow the computer much when compared to many other anti-virus software and the servers for bought version download are pretty fast. -- not bad for less than 20 pounds.

Link http://www.avira.com/en/products/avira_antivir_premium.html

[Edited on 23/2/09 by britishtrident]

Hellfire

posted on 23/2/09 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Use Kaspersky - the best AV Software by far...

PC - is not loaded or full of guff. It just works!

Steve

clairetoo

posted on 23/2/09 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
quote:

I'll second that

I'll `third` that

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

paulbeyer

posted on 23/2/09 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
quote:

I'll second that

I'll `third` that

I use AVG, why is Avast so much better? Maybe I should change over to Avast.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

David Jenkins

posted on 23/2/09 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulbeyer
I use AVG, why is Avast so much better? Maybe I should change over to Avast.

I changed from AVG to Avast after a period when AVG was forever trying to upgrade - and each time it took longer and longer.

Avast is far less intrusive, and generally runs invisibly as far as I'm concerned - apart from the little icon in the tray that occasionally does stuff to show that it's alive.

russbost

posted on 24/2/09 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
I've changed to Avast - all seems good so far, thanx for the advice everyone!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.