Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Whoooohooo! SVA pass at Exeter
andrew.carwithen

posted on 23/2/09 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Whoooohooo! SVA pass at Exeter

Well, I'm like a dog with two dicks at mo'
Had me a first-time pass at Exeter, today.
Had two minor fail points which tester (Byron ) allowed me to fix at end of test.
First fail was due to there being no notable difference in brightness between brake and tail lights.
Turned out to be the LED bulbs that I had fitted. Replaced with standard 21/5w combination stop/tail bulbs and all was fine.
2nd fail was too much slack in handbrake cable. We put car back on lift and was able to just reach turnbuckle above prop to tighten it.
The examiner, Byron is a top bloke. Think I made a favourable impression from the off, as very early in the test he complimented me on the build quality.
When it came to him driving it through several figure-of-eights (with me sat in passenger seat) to check self-centreing, (there was plenty btw) he commented on how particularly sweet my 'blade clutch and gearbox were to use compared to previous ones he had tested (thanks must go to Andy Bates who supplied my engine with upgraded clutch and modified clutch actuating lever.)
And how well the car handled. In fact, he was so impressed that he hooned it around the test centre perimeter a few more laps just for the hell of it! (with me sat alongside him grinning like a demented cheshire cat!)
To top it all, he even told me that DVLA inspector is normally in his office on Mondays, so as DVLA is on same ind. estate as VOSA, I duly went around there with fresh MAC in hand and requested relevant registration forms. These I filled in as best I could nd asked if I could have car inspected there and then? The Inspector was indeed there and as car was on trailer was willing to do so! Result!
So all I have to do is get insurance and send off relevant ID, receipts and fees etc. He gave me a photocopy of MAC before taking original and said that a file would be created under my name and that it should only take a few days to get reg. no. issued once they receive rest of paperwork (He told me it will be a 'Q' prefix BTW)
All in all, looks like I'm gonna be on the road a lot sooner than I thought!
My sincerest thanks to all of you on here that have offered advice throughout the build.

Andy.

jacko

posted on 23/2/09 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Well done just in time for the good weather
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daniel mason

posted on 23/2/09 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
nice work mate. this is where the fun really starts now!
Danozeman

posted on 23/2/09 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Welldone mate!! Nice feeling isnt it.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

John Bonnett

posted on 23/2/09 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Very well done Andy, I can imagine how pleased you must be. Byron really is a top man, very positive and tries his best to get the car to pass. I'm pleased you got on well with the DVLA. I too found them very easy and quick to deal with which is nice when we hear so much adverse comment about them. It may be a case of the few that tarnish the rest of them.

Anyway, just in time for the better weather and before IVA, so, happy days

martthefridgeman

posted on 23/2/09 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
congratulations, great to have another avon on the road. ATB Mart
Hellfire

posted on 23/2/09 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations. Just in time for summer (6th to 10th April)

Phil

Barksavon

posted on 23/2/09 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
s v a von

Well done on the 1st time pass......i had a first time fail on my Avon today so a bit p'd off but will get there.....speedo out of tolerance but think that could be due to low tyre pressure which i forgot to check yesterday !!!!! and a few other bits...no radius on the upper seat belt mount plastic covers !!!! but hopefully shouldnt take too much rectifying.
mad-butcher

posted on 23/2/09 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Not the slightest bit suprised pictures gave away the quality of the build
not as painfull a procedure as we are lead to believe

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andrew.carwithen

posted on 23/2/09 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barksavon
Well done on the 1st time pass......i had a first time fail on my Avon today so a bit p'd off but will get there.....speedo out of tolerance but think that could be due to low tyre pressure which i forgot to check yesterday !!!!! and a few other bits...no radius on the upper seat belt mount plastic covers !!!! but hopefully shouldnt take too much rectifying.

Could you not fit herringbone 'u' trim to the seatbelt mounts? (that's what I used)
It took three attempts to get my bicycle computer correctly calibrated for speedo (which, again, I was allowed to do there and then.)
It sounds like you had a 'good fail' if the issues you listed are the only ones. You'll soon sort them out.
Andy.

adithorp

posted on 23/2/09 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one! Just in time for spring.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

omega 24 v6

posted on 23/2/09 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Well done that man. Mines is loaded and ready to go now so I hope I have a favourable result like you. Take care out there with your new toy.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

ReMan

posted on 23/2/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one.
I'm a firm believer in presentation going a long way to a pass

MautoK

posted on 24/2/09 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations, Andrew!
I'm waiting for the postie to deliver my new speedo cable...
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.