Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Seized engine (duratec 2.3)
focijohn

posted on 24/2/09 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Seized engine (duratec 2.3)

Hi y'all,
Guy from my work has a 7 with the above engine in it (brand new). He was buzzing around the other day and noticed that it was holding back, for some reason he looked over at the dials and guess what.... no oil pressure. He took the engine out and its not good partly because the oil pump is fine, also the mouting shopping lists.
Question really is has anyone had anything like this happen to them using this engine?
It not had the easyest life to begin with as he had to run it at 2000rpm for 20 minutes to work harden the cams and then its next outing was to the rolling roads.

Must mention that hes recently put a shortened sump on it etc but when the oil was drained he said that there was a good 4 3/4 ltrs of oil came out and no broken drives to the oil pump etc. And a few minutes before this happened he had limited it but surely...?

Cheers

John

[Edited on 24/2/09 by focijohn]

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 24/2/09 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Could be several things i guess - most likely i recon is that the oil pump hadnt primed properly , and that could itself be down to a few things. Could be a problem with the oil pickup pipe for starters.

I doubt the forum will daignose the issue anyway - provide some options to look for but thats about it

focijohn

posted on 24/2/09 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thats all im after really, because if he does go ahead and rebuild this engine then its still going to have the problem that it has now.

Any ideas are good ideas.

[Edited on 24/2/09 by focijohn]

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

big_wasa

posted on 24/2/09 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Flak is looking for one of these engines and all the breakers having been telling him there is a shortage due to them knocking the big ends out.

will see if I can find the thread.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 24/2/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Another potential - did he tighten up the camshaft sprokets properly after replacing the cams?? If they slipped then that could have siezed the engine also.
flak monkey

posted on 24/2/09 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Several scrap yards have independantly told me good 2 litres are hard to get because they knock the big ends out quickly for some reason (The 2.3 bottom end is of the same design).

Not sure why. Could be the design of bearings they use? Think the standard ones are white metal, cosworth sell heavy duty ones through through burton power which are the lead/copper type at about £60/set.

Could also have been that the oil pump didnt prime when the engine was first started which damaged the bearings then the hard life its had has lead to them completely failing

Is worth taking it apart and finding out what has failed, may help diagnose the problem.

Could even be something as simple as a blocked oil way.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

CairB

posted on 24/2/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
I would be tempted to check that the shortened sump was not restricting the oil supply to the pump.
I think that some designs use the sump to mate to the pump to create the pickup path.
I used a 2.0l pickup for my home made steel sump.
He could possibly check the pump and feed by removing the chain drive to the pump and operating the pump with a drill to check that it can generate pressure.
The bolt on the front of the crank provides enough clamping force to friction drive the chainwheels for the oil pump, cam and the front pulley.
This bolt is done up v tight.
Diamond encrusted friction washers should be fitted between the friction driven items on the crank as well as the cams.
I don't think they are fitted as standard but it is recommended to fit them if wilder cams are installed.
Hope he gets it sorted.

Cheers,
Colin

ashg

posted on 24/2/09 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
my mate runs a garage and he can supply an endless amount of 2.0 duratec's with shagged bottom ends. i was going to take one and sort it but after phoning ford and getting the prices for recon bits it wasnt worth it. they fetch good money down the scrap metal place as they are all ali

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

02GF74

posted on 25/2/09 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
I reckon the oil pump priming is binary - either it will or it won't. If it did't prime, then engine would have run for about 30 seconds at most.

Take a look at the shortened sump.

Was the engine rebuilt, if so, what was replaced?

Was the oil pump reassembled correctly? On the Zetec there is some feelr guage messing to set it up properly.

Also if pick up was modified or refitted, check gastets and pick was fitted correcltly. Check pick up is clear.

There is a running in procedure that should be followed -was this done?

procomp

posted on 25/2/09 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

The first Mod that should be done when using this engine is to get the crank pulley keyed on to the crank.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Marcus

posted on 25/2/09 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds to me that if the sump has been shortened, maybe the oil pickup has too, if there's a pin hole in the weld (if it has been welded) then it will pull air and shag the engine. A few miles may have opened up a hole or loosened the pickup.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
focijohn

posted on 25/2/09 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
The engine was bought ex ford bran new. And the sump and pickups etc was bought as a set cant remember where from .

Ill pass the comments on and see where it leads him...

Thanks all

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.