Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Maximum Advance on Crossflow
Blairm

posted on 27/2/09 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Maximum Advance on Crossflow

Hi,

Last week at the track my crossflow started running like a dog. The points had closed up a lot. I quickly opend them up a little before the next sprint race and it ran a little better.

Decision made to put a electronic trigger in and I pulled the distributor out to check it to find one of the springs had come off.

Anyway, Spring fixed and Pertronix kit fitted. Lined up roughly and fired first pop.
Borrowing a timing light tommorow and I need some advice on the best way to sort out the timing.

The Dizzy has been altered to have no vacume and the top plates welded together. I read I should be looking to get around 34 deg advance over 3500 rpm. How do I measure this when the marks do not go up this high?

Also what should I set it up for at idle.

It has a 234 cam and twin 45's

Thanks Blair

02GF74

posted on 27/2/09 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
40 degre BTDC springs but I need to check my graphs at home.

obvously the exact number will vary accoring to engine spec.

typically 10 degree BTDC at idle

britishtrident

posted on 27/2/09 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
IF you were running the Ford/Fomoc/Autolite distributer the point gaps were well known for closing up -- the trick was to set them to the wide end of the gap tolerance (eg 0.027" and make sure the distributer cam had a tiny ammount of grease onit.

As to your ignition timing on Xflos unless you have a modified distributer with more centrafugal advance the ignition timing tends to be limited by the maximum static ignition advance you can set without the engine kicking back against the starter..

Try using crank 10 degrees static this should give 30 crank degrees total advance, if the engine dosen't kick back against the starter or pink try adancing the ignition 2 degrees at a time. About 38 degrees at over 3000 rpm is probably the maxium total advance you can usefully use but unless you mod the distributer for more centrafugal advance this probably won't be practical.

The test for pinking is to fully warm up the engine and try accelerating from low RPM in a high gear ---- ideally up a hill. if you hear a tinkling sound from the engine retard the ignition 2 degeres at a time until the sound stops stops.

Blairm

posted on 27/2/09 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks 02GF74,

The distribitor was built up by a professional rebuilder so I assume the curve he used is suitible for the engine spec the builder gave him. I assume the spring (the light one) that came off was not damaged so all should be OK. The weights have 17deg on them. Is this standard or modified for the removed vacume setup?

How do I check teh 40 Deg when it is of the marks (12 deg max from memory)

Thanks Blair

britishtrident

posted on 27/2/09 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Good If you 17 degrees distributer adavance then intially just set the idle timing up to line up with the 6 degree line on the timing chain case. (17x17)+6 = 40 degrees.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Blairm

posted on 27/2/09 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
The distributor is a Lucus 25D4 as I was told not to bother with the FOMOCO unit i had originally.

Can some one explain static this should versus crank degrees total advance?

britishtrident

posted on 27/2/09 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Each time the crank shaft turns 1 full turn the dizzie only turn 1/2 a turn ---- so 1 degree on the distributer = 2 on the crankshaft.

Total advance measured on the crank pulley = static + centrafugal

ie 6 + 2x17 = 40

If using a strobe you line up the 6 degree mark at idle speed this will probably give about 37 degrees total advance if it runs ok you can then try advancing it 2 or 3 degrees and test the engine for signs of pinking. -- but don't go beyond 40 degres total.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Blairm

posted on 27/2/09 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys, much appreciate the help.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.