Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: need motivation!!!!
Z20let Corsa

posted on 27/2/09 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
need motivation!!!!

well. my chassis is begining to get there. all hubs and brakes are fully refurbed ready to go on, diff and shafts are refurbed ready to go on, got quite a few other bits like steering column and steering rack etc ready but the trouble is i rarely get any more than a couple of hours at any time to spend on the car due to work commitments and pain in the ass neighbours!!! i never feel like ive got anything done because by the time ive got the welder setup, and stuff like that im only getting a few bits tacked on each time i go out (about 4 times a week) im busy with the la, lb, lc and ld bars on the front at the min and its taken me ages to get the side ones right!!!! what do you guys do to motivate yourselves when in a situation like this?? when i start fully welding it up i might feel a bit better!!!!! hopefully!! i still also cant decide wether to do fully independant suspension or de-dion. i really want fully independant but apparently its an absolute pain to set up. sorry for the lecture but im in that type of mood!!!!! oh i also have most of the engine rebuilt. just need to do the top end now.
Pdlewis

posted on 27/2/09 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Book your SVA thatll fire you up complette build in a month

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

omega0684

posted on 27/2/09 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
you have got to go de-dion its awesome, i have heard that IRS can be an arse to set up and can give a sponge ride to, where abouts are you, are there any other builders around you that you could visit or they could take you out for a spin to keep you spirits up
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 27/2/09 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Built a kit, not from scratch, but one thing that worked for me when I got similarly frustrated was to book a day or two off work and send a concentrated lump of time on it.

Make sure you prepare well and have al the parts/materials to hand and get stuck in.

Z20let Corsa

posted on 27/2/09 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
well mines not a kit. im having to make nigh enough everything!!!! lol. i also work monday to saturday 7 til 8 and work sundays 7 til 5. im self employed so its kinda hard to get time off etc. and whenever i do manage to get a day off i need to use it for stuff like getting my hair cut and crap like that. im only 18 too!!!!! never get time to go out or anything! ive got a couple of lads i know round here with cars that are done but with my busy schedule its a pain to organise when we are both free to go for a little drive. im just going to have to crack on i suppose whenever i can. got awkwered neighbours too though which means i cant use any noisy tools like grinders etc after 9!!!!

locost +4 v8 in progress.

Simon

posted on 27/2/09 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Working those hours make sure the EU doesn't catch up with you

Put up your hourly rate - same income for a few hours less work - if you can get away with it in the economy.

I did mine IRS and it's fine. Craig1410 is doing de Dion, and I'm sure he'll be on the road some time very soon.

ATB

Simon

Z20let Corsa

posted on 27/2/09 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
i only technically work until 5 or 6 ish each night but obviously paperwork needs done, items need listed on ebay etc.
paul the 6th

posted on 27/2/09 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've not had chance to work on mine since the 16th of jan due to working away alot, but to keep my motivation up, I've bought my sierra donor and a 1.8 zetec engine (not sure why with the zetec but I'm sure it'll become obvious in time )

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
RK

posted on 28/2/09 at 04:13 AM Reply With Quote
I have the same problem and so do many others. On a day off, get up early, and go right out there. Music helps. Interruptions are a killer; you get nothing done and can't concentrate.
oldtimer

posted on 28/2/09 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
I think those who have built a kit may not be able to appreciate the extra work it takes to put together a scratch build, and maybe a little isolating. At 18 you should be out more having fun! take a day off!!!
ashg

posted on 28/2/09 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
may i ask what is the rush? you have missed the date for sva so iva is a must.

as for the neighbours technically you can grind away till 10pm before they can do anything about it.

personally i wouldnt say their request to stop at 9 was un-reasonable. im sure you can compramise with them to stop at 9 on the weeknights and till 11 on friday and sat?

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Richard Quinn

posted on 28/2/09 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Just set yourself small milestones each time you go in the garage. Although mine was a kit there is not very much that is standard with it. Time during the week is very limited as I put long hours in for work. However, I just pick one job to do and if it's a 10 minute job I'm out there 10 minutes. If it's a 2 hour job I'm out there 2 hours. It's the old thing about "how do you eat an elephant - one mouthful at a time!" There are periods in any build when you will spend hours working on it and visually there will be very little change. Other times a 15 minute job really makes a difference. Keep at it!
big_wasa

posted on 1/3/09 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
I am in the same sort of boat as you but a bit further along than your self. But then again I think it has been five years this easter, ish

Mine is more or less at the stage of bolting it together like a kit.

I probally get a few hours once or twice a month if I can motivate my self.

At the min I would chop it in for a bike or Mgf. Somthing to chear me up know. Iva has made this worse by moving the bloody goal post.

Still, if it was easy every one would make there own instead of buying a kit

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.