Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rv8 heads. what to do???
Z20let Corsa

posted on 3/3/09 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
rv8 heads. what to do???

well ive removed the heads off the v8 tonight to renew the head gaskets and i need to send atleast 1 away to get a snapped inlet manifold bolt out. the question is. while there off do i get both heads ported, polished and skimmed to get slightly higher compression or not?? what sort of gains am i looking at and how much is the going rate?? ive never had this sort of thing to do before!!!

locost +4 v8 in progress.

mr henderson

posted on 3/3/09 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
There's a book on the RV8 written by David Hardcastle, published by Haynes. It''s very good. You should read it before deciding.

I had a copy years ago when I was involved with TR7V8s. I don't have it anymore I'm afraid.

I'm not sure that doing the heads is cost effective. You should certainly have them checked for flatness though

John

DanP

posted on 4/3/09 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
Be careful with skimming as you can end up with the inlet manifold not fitting until you fit a thicker headgasket (pushing the comp back down!)

Porting and polishing is not cheap, you are probably looking at 300 quid for even stage 1 heads which prob won't even include much porting.

There are some easier and popular improvements you can make like fitting bullet valve guides and waisted stem valves (they have a narrower stem section so air can flow round more easily)

You could also try a bit of a polish job yourself to clean up the tracts, the company 'standard abrasives' do an excellent porting/polishing PDF online guide.

HTH
Dan

wilkingj

posted on 4/3/09 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
What to do?... Easy... If you have limitless supply of Cash

Linky

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 4/3/09 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Porting and polishing

quote:

bullet valve guides

nrv87
nrv87

Few more pics in this thread

HERE

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 4/3/09 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.