Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Commuter (motor)bike recommendations
Jasper

posted on 10/3/09 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Commuter (motor)bike recommendations

I moved my shop to a nearby town, about 12 miles away. Almost the entire journey is on a busy dual carriageway.

So I've got a full bike license, but want something cheap just to get me to work everyday. Needs to do 80mph comfortably as I don't want to get stuck behind lorries etc...

Cheap to run, insure, etc etc, but hopefully fun to ride.

Quite like the idea of a supermoto type machine, but anything would do.

Your thoughts gentlemen

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Flamez

posted on 10/3/09 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Harley "fatboy"

my build mac1motorsports

whitestu

posted on 10/3/09 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
A Kawasaki GPZ500S is nice and cheap, does about 50-60 mpg and is plenty fast enough, or alternatively a Honda CB500.

Suzuki SV650's are also nice and a bit different.

Stu

[Edited on 10/3/09 by whitestu]

Dangle_kt

posted on 10/3/09 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
As someone who has owned a few supermotos... THEY ARE NOT FOR COMMUTING!

The wind blast is aweful, the vibes are terrible, the service intervals are very very short and the seats are like long thin planks.

For a toy they can;t be beaten, but for using daily your barking up the wrong tree... well unless you go for something lame like a drz400, but that struggles to pull the skin off a glass of water in standard trim.

I'd recommend something simple, like a bandit 600 s, it has an excellet riding position, fast enough for what you want, can handle reasonabley well for a sunday ride out and dispite looking tatty when well used, are a real work horse.

If you are looking for even more of a work horse, check out a bmw k1, ugly as sin, and getting on a bit - but shaft driven and about as bullet proof as it gets!

Also look at an sv650 either naked or s version, s is more racey but can be heavier on the wrists in slow traffic - naked version can be a bit poor for windblast but has a good riding position for commuting.

All are pretty cheap to run too

tomgregory2000

posted on 10/3/09 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
VTR1000
Memphis Twin

posted on 10/3/09 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
BMW R80.
Cheap, fast(ish), handles well(ish). Reliable, simple, shaft drive, everything accessible, very comfortable, bags of character. And when the bug has well and truly bitten you'll want to turn it into a Cafe Racer, and then wonder why you'd want anything else.

And I've owned a VTR1000...

[Edited on 10/3/09 by Memphis Twin]

Jasper

posted on 10/3/09 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm - like the Suzuki SV when it came out, and I do like a twin (had ducati's before)......

VTR - yeah right, nice sensible option!

Will take a look at the rest as well though....

Peteff

posted on 10/3/09 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
650 or 600 Bandit, 600 Hornet or Kawasaki ER6 can all fit into your category and put a grin on your face or get you in trouble for speeding. Anything's an improvement on the Ducati

[Edited on 10/3/09 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

owelly

posted on 10/3/09 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Edited because my idea was stupid...

[Edited on 10/3/09 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tomgregory2000

posted on 10/3/09 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
My VTR is, ive got race pipes on it and its the best sound, also in traffic you give it a couple of blips on the throttle and people tend to move out of the way
ernie

posted on 10/3/09 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
See my ad in for sale section
bigrich

posted on 10/3/09 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
The SV is a good option, or a bandit got to say that as i have just bought a MK1 bandit 1200, that would be a great commuter and with minimal front tyre wear into the bargain.

Supermoto's are a little too focus'ed. If your not too image concious then a GPz 500 or cb500 or gs would fit the bill.

Dont forget hornet 600's cracking bike also fazer 600

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

Dangle_kt

posted on 10/3/09 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
If you start looking more to a sportier model, the a zzr600 is a decent bike for the money.
lsdweb

posted on 10/3/09 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Honda NTV . Bags of torque, very reliable and plugs along really well.

owelly

posted on 10/3/09 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a GSXF 750 last year and it's a good thing for the price. Full t and t for £600.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mellow Matt

posted on 10/3/09 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'd suggest something faired, that far on a dual carriageway without fairing might get a bit annoying. I've got a CB500 and a GSXR 600 and I much prefer the GSXR on motorways due to the fairing. A GPZ500 as suggested before would be nice and cheap and pretty solid too. Or a ZZR600, tried and tested bike that one!
mads

posted on 10/3/09 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Another person for the Bandit. I had a 600cc Bandit S (semi-faired) and it was a fantastic bike. Great for general cruising and certainly able to keep up with my mates Thundercat as well as some of the 750's. I'm sure a 1000cc would be just, if not more, fun. And if you do do any pillioning, then it is really comfy for your pillion. I did a Birmingham - Stafford M5/M6 journey with my mate on the back and the bike took no notice of that fact.

They are relatively cheap to buy and to repair (learned that the hard way) and very forgiving if you do some saft stuff :$

Whatever bike you go for, I'd go with a semi-faired version as wind blast can be a PITA especially on dual carriageways/motorways.

[Edited on 10/3/09 by mads]

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

Dangle_kt

posted on 10/3/09 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
forgot to say, you might want to consider buying a cheaper bike and us the extra to pay for a local police training course or similar, and some high visability waterproof kit (suit, gloves and boots)

commuting on a bike isn't much fun - I can only guess you havn't done it much as you own a ducati, and you'd spend more time on the phone to greenflag recovery.

[Edited on 10/3/09 by Dangle_kt]

rf900rush

posted on 10/3/09 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Keep it under 400cc and you only pay £36 road tax.

I used to run a CBR400RR for commuting.
£90 insurance (TPFT) 50MPG.

Although sports bikes are hard on the wrists/arms.

Don't forget bike bikes eat tyres.

Mark Allanson

posted on 10/3/09 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
The last commuter bike I had was a Honda CD200 Benley, 130mpg, nice big seat, might struggle to cruise at 80mph though!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

ibakes

posted on 10/3/09 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
My Father in law has a f reg honda cg125, not really very good for 80 but think its something like 200 miles from £8 worth of fuel. £15 tax, i would have it but i want my zx6 back on the road.

think he only wants £100 for it

kick start, very reliable needs mot, new battery £10 and regulator £16 as the front light dosnt work too well at low revs

RichardK

posted on 10/3/09 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
remember my dad had a metalic maroon cd 200 benley, spend ages earning my pocket money waxing that, arh memories!!

Cheers

Rich

[Edited on 10/3/09 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

foes

posted on 10/3/09 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Reliable/cheapish supermoto, how about a Suzuki drz400sm....?
They're not too focused to ride every day and don't have the daft service intervals like the proper euro supermoto's, ideal i'd say...

Jasper

posted on 13/3/09 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys - will have a lok at all those and see if anything comes up cheap in my local ads....

idl1975

posted on 13/3/09 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
A few comments and suggestions...

1) The GPz500 recommendation is a very good one. Brilliant to ride (considering the obvious!), comfy, light, 60mpg, cheap as proverbials. Google GPz500 race bikes and you might be surprised too. Remember you want a later model with twin front discs - early ones have only 1.

2) SMs - true SMs are indeed s*** commuters, very thirsty and extremely unreliable (replace piston and inspect bores at 20hrs ... etc etc). I owned a Duke II for a while, which was NOT a true SM, but was very economical on petrol, brilliant to ride and quick as all buggery round corners. Perfectly happy on motorways or extended 80mph runs, if a bit windy. Available for a grand or so. Only problem is the valve clearances (DIY?) and the s***metal used to manufacture the exhaust and fasteners.

Edit: Nowt against DRZs and the Yam XT600 SM-a-like, but they're both heavy and slow compared to a Duke.

3) K100, K100RS, K100RT, K100LT. Get one in decent nick with full luggage under 100k for under £800. Will go forever if it ain't already broken, also 50-60mpg. 16v RS is more than quick enough, and the post-89 models even have modern(ish) tyre sizes, so you can stick some BT020s on.

4) TRX850 - my main road and commuter bike, which I've kept while selling GSX-Rs, '954s, etc etc. 55 mpg, one ins. group lower than an old 600, 135mph and 79hp with the obligatory cans. Good do-anything bike which can tour, scratch, commute, track day, and so good BMW copied it and called it the F800. You can get a 10 year old version with all the key mods done for a little under a grand, and nothing really breaks. Change the oil and keep riding.

quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
I moved my shop to a nearby town, about 12 miles away. Almost the entire journey is on a busy dual carriageway.

So I've got a full bike license, but want something cheap just to get me to work everyday. Needs to do 80mph comfortably as I don't want to get stuck behind lorries etc...

Cheap to run, insure, etc etc, but hopefully fun to ride.

Quite like the idea of a supermoto type machine, but anything would do.

Your thoughts gentlemen

[Edited on 13/3/09 by idl1975]

[Edited on 13/3/09 by idl1975]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.