Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tiger B6/R6 bonnet fitting
PaulYDP

posted on 10/3/09 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Tiger B6/R6 bonnet fitting

Can anyone that has a tiger b6 or r6 tell me what catches you have used to mount the bonnet at the front for SVA. The problem being that the bonnet sits a few inches wider than the side panels! I have a spring catch but the way it is at the minute it wouldn't pass the radius test for SVA. Any advice appreciated! I was thinking of these, but would they pass SVA?

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/rubber-bonnet-hooks-bonhk-244-p.asp

Paul TigerB6

posted on 10/3/09 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Plenty have passed (including me with my old S6) with those spring catches - just fit some rubber trim (heatshrink etc) over the hook. I have even seen them used upside down and fixed through the return lip of the bonnet to make them less obvious!!

PaulYDP

posted on 10/3/09 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent Paul, thanks for that! I did actually think of heatshrink but thought that maybe it would fail on something else that I wasn't aware of! To save me buying new catches I think I will go for heatshrink and take the chance!
Paul TigerB6

posted on 10/3/09 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Mine were actually mounted right forward and passed throught the top wishbone, so saves most of the catch being testable for SVA anyway.

Cheers
Paul

PaulYDP

posted on 10/3/09 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks Paul. Going to fit the bonnet tomorrow night as i'm taking the car to get set up on a rolling road on Thursday so probably best to have the bonnet fitted for transporting!
Paul TigerB6

posted on 10/3/09 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hope the bulge fits!!

I'm going to fit a Supercat nose tomorrow (as well as bike carbs) with a fellow lister - the bulge on that sits about an inch clear of the nose at the moment but then again its been stored for 6 years!! Time to get drastic with the IR patio heater anyway!

PaulYDP

posted on 10/3/09 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
Oh don't talk to me about the bulge!!! I set the bonnet on last night and its about half an inch too high! I take it they are all like this!? Are there any tecniques for getting it to fit something close to right!?
Paul TigerB6

posted on 10/3/09 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
It will settle with some engine heat as the fibreglass (or is yours carbon) gets some warmth into it. My super 6 was the same and dispite being thicker / heavier than the B6 bodywork, settled gradually with engine heat alone. Just allow for the settling with your bonnet clips.

As per my previous message, i have used an IR patio heater to warm fibreglass to reshape it on numerous occasions but dont think you need worry about your bonnet

PaulYDP

posted on 10/3/09 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hopefully it will be ok! I'll leave it for now and hope that some engine heat does the trick! Mine seems to be a mix of fibreglass and carbon. It definitely has carbon matting to reinforce it where the hole is in it for the air filter, but I think the outside of it is fibreglass.
Paul TigerB6

posted on 10/3/09 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
Should be lightweight glassfibre / cf mix with a clear gelcoat i believe?? Does it need spraying or is it coloured gelcoat on yours (not that i will be anywhere near that stage for a very long time)??

PaulYDP

posted on 11/3/09 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah that sounds like mine and it needed spraying! I'll throw some pics up in the near future for you.
Paul TigerB6

posted on 11/3/09 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent - will be good to see. Would also be interested in knowing just how much clearance space there is under the bonnet if you could measure that up at some stage for me (from the bottom chassis rail etc)

Cheers
Paul

PaulYDP

posted on 11/3/09 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Not a problem Paul i'll take whatever measurements you require - from the bottom chassis rail to where? Underside of the bonnet? Just shout and i'll see what I can do for you!
Paul TigerB6

posted on 11/3/09 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - underside of the bonnet roughly where the top of the bike engine cam cover is would be great thanks. Just trying to figure out which engines i can fit - secondary butterflies on the 05 R1 make it tricky.

Cheers
Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.